Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog California Becomes First State to Mandate Solar on New Homes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Wednesday, California became the first U.S. state to require solar panels on new homes, a move that signifies solar’s move into the mainstream. The measure will require units built after Jan. 1, 2020 to adopt the standards set by the California Energy Commission.

The Commission unanimously approved the new standards, which are expected to increase home prices by about $10,000.

The standards focus on four key areas: smart residential photovoltaic systems, updated thermal envelope standards (preventing heat transfer from the interior to exterior and vice versa), residential and nonresidential ventilation requirements, and nonresidential lighting requirements. The ventilation measures improve indoor air quality, protecting homeowners from air pollution originating from outdoor and indoor sources. For the first time, the standards also establish requirements for newly constructed healthcare facilities.

“Under these new standards, buildings will perform better than ever, at the same time they contribute to a reliable grid,” Commissioner Andrew McAllister said in a release. “The buildings that Californians buy and live in will operate very efficiently while generating their own clean energy. They will cost less to operate, have healthy indoor air and provide a platform for ‘smart’ technologies that will propel the state even further down the road to a low emissions future.”

Under the new standards, nonresidential buildings will use about 30 percent less energy due mainly to lighting upgrades. For residential homeowners, based on a 30-year mortgage, the Energy Commission estimates that the standards will add about $40 to an average monthly payment, but save consumers $80 on monthly heating, cooling and lighting bills.

“With this adoption, the California Energy Commission has struck a fair balance between reducing greenhouse gas emissions while simultaneously limiting increased construction costs,” California Building Industry Association CEO and President Dan Dunmoyer said in a release. “We thank the Commissioners and their staff for working with the building industry during the past 18 months and adopting a set of cost-effective standards that ensures homebuyers will recoup their money over the life of the dwelling.”

California’s decision is certainly well received by the Tesla Energy division, which produces solar panels and battery storage systems. The company began earlier this year installing its solar roof product.

For more information about the standards, view the Commission’s frequently asked questions page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MacGreiner
I wonder if the Tesla solar roof tiles will find a market from this.

Although I hope Tesla will.....I just believe Tesla's system is just too expensive with very little return.

It will take a lifetime to bet your value of a Tesla Solar tiled roof for sure.....especially since every tile isn't a solar cell. I don't understand that for the life of me. The solar tiled roof is 1 out of ever 3 or 4 is a real solar tile. Why not every one of them? I just don't get it.

HEY FOLKS.......I don't think I can shout it enough.....get your interconnection agreements NOW. Interconnection agreements with power companies last about 20 years. Get them before the power companies are able to change them.

Reactions: Blup85
Exactly. If only people would read the law before they start declaring that the sky is falling. There are also provisions for community sharing.

The law also has a host of energy conservation initiatives that I think (not sure) can substitute for PV. It is a remarkable law, a veritable check-list of all the things I want in my house:

PV
Heat pump
DHW heat recovery
Improved home envelope

It is like they actually spoke to people who have a clue.

It is bizarrely rational, thoughtful and sensible. Clearly out of step with the times.:p

It is bizarrely rational, thoughtful and sensible. Clearly out of step with the times.:p
So true.

California realizes that an efficient, clean energy transition is the best thing they can do for their economy:
Local work
Domestic manufacturing for a dominant part of the supply chain
Massive reduction in externalized costs
Massive reduction in money export for energy

My wife asked me this morning why CA leads in so many ways, implying they are somehow smarter than the rest of the country. I don't think that is the case, but more that they are not so politically reactionary and bought by special interests. It is just too bad that the Repukes were able to torpedo the nascent PV industry in the US. It would have been nice to have that manufacturing base.

Reactions: gene and mspohr
I don't really get this. I'm a huge supporter of solar (Installed 7-8 systems for friends, family and myself) but solar does not work for everyone.. shade, etc.. Making it mandatory seems ignorant blindly adopting policy that "makes you feel good". In the next 5-10 years energy storage and grid stability is going to be the largest hurdle. It doesn't make sense to make all the power during the day only to have to fire up the coal plants at night to supply power for my AC running all night because I live in a hot climate. Hopefully there are alternatives to forcing solar on a home that doesn't make sense, and energy storage of equivalent size can be installed instead.

You (and I) are from Chico, so we are accustomed to big trees in the town core, but keep in mind that most of California is relatively treeless.

Reactions: gene
You (and I) are from Chico, so we are accustomed to big trees in the town core, but keep in mind that most of California is relatively treeless.

Thanks, I realized after I was body checked by a couple folks here that I was wrong for jumping off the cliff with fear of government over reach. The cliff note document i read made it sound absolute. Don't hang me just yet. I was in a mood.

Last edited:
Reactions: gene and SageBrush
Did you read the law? It makes allowances for shady properties. It also addresses storage. In addition the SGIP program in California is resulting in a serious amount of Powerwalls or other batteries attached to homes but also used by utilities to alleviate the need for peaker plants. SGIB and ITC together pay for about 80% of the storage.

Batteries will work fine for day to day variations but not for longer term ones. My Solar puts out 8 times more kwh during the summer than the winter.

Reactions: gene
My best month in the summer is about 1300 kWh.
Worst month in winter is about 450 kWh.
~ 3:1
Don't know why others in Ca have such a wide variation. I live in the mountains with lots of snow in the winter as well as days of storms whereas summer is mostly clear and sunny with few storms and still I get good winter production.

Wow, that's great mine is about 8 to 1. My best month in summer averages just over 58Kwh and my worst month in winter averages around 7. The worst ever average for a month was 6.24. My best daily output has been 63 the worst daily output has been 1.3 kwh.
Part of the result was my choice to install the panels at 45 degrees. I think it cost me ~ 5 - 10% of my possible maximum if I had optimized to my latitude but I wanted to even out production throughout the year. The ratio I reported is not maximum:minimum, it is summer:winter

It also helps to be in Colorado, the land of cold and (relatively) sunny winters.

Last edited: