TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

California bends but doesn't yield on ZEVs

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by RobStark, May 29, 2015.

1. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Los Angeles

Plug-in hybrids enough to get small carmakers credits

Gabe Nelson Glogo.jpg rsslogo.jpg
    Automotive News
    May 30, 2015 - 12:01 am ET

At a May 18 hearing, the California Air Resources Board rejected a plea from Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Volvo to be exempted from the mandate. They had argued that their small r&d budgets will keep them from developing and selling electrified cars as easily as full-line automakers such as Ford, General Motors and Nissan, which already must sell ZEVs.

Automakers with less than $40 billion in annual global revenue -- which includes Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Volvo -- now will have the option to sell plug-in hybrids only to earn "credits" toward compliance, rather than being forced to sell some all-electric or hydrogen cars. If they don't sell enough, they'll still need to buy credits from companies such as Tesla Motors Inc. that sell electric cars in large numbers. Tesla banked $51 million in the first quarter from selling ZEV credits to other automakers.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

May 23, 2008
    Winchester, UK
    Jaguar Land Rover has shown several PHEVs and received millions in UK govt funding during the recession to research the topic. Their parent company Tata is huge.

Subaru already sold a small EV in Japan. Their parent company Fuji Heavy Industries is also huge.

Mitsubishi has a runaway success on its hands with the Outlander PHEV. Some even say it's saved them in Europe.

Mazda has actively dissed PHEVs and EVs previously. Now they will have to get with the program.

Volvo has at least 3 PHEVs and an EV in its range. Now they will have to actively market them.

Well done CARB for standing up to that BS.
  3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Considering that the Germans all are going full speed ahead on PHEV's and dabbling seriously with EV's, coupled with growing commitments from the US, Korea and France (PSA, Renault-Nissan) it is a matter of time for the Japanese-controlled Japanese manufacturers get serious too. Panasonic, after all, is the largest EV battery supplier, thanks in major apart to Tesla. So, for California I think they're probably wise to accept PHEV's, even though that would not be my preference. The more Porsche Panamera, planned Ferrari PHEV, BMW i8 and others bring a halo to the choice, the more the trickle down will gain force. Even the Volt/Bolt and their kin are pushing the barriers, not to mention the Prius and Toyota plethora of hybrids that have little refinement needed to serve up lots of PHEV's.

Despite the lack of 'purity' I think CARB made the correct call. Soon the sale of EV credits just might cease to be a factor.

But, IMHO, marketplace distortions like that really are not in the interest of the industry. More competitive EV's are. I am certain I am not the only person who has no way to use my US EV tax credit for my P85D. I frankly did not car; I wanted the car. There si the long term solution- competitiveness!
  4. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

Oct 11, 2014
    New York
    The fact that they are claiming how they are too small to build an EV is laughable given the fact that Tesla built one when they were 1/100 the size of Jaguar Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Volvo.

They should have denied this nonsense request and asked them to look up Tesla's free patents.
  5. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Bangor, ME
    They are also tied-in with Toyota, they really have no excuse anymore. Especially given the Stella EV, and the G4E PHEV concept they displayed nearly a decade ago.