TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

California bill to impose a $165 EV Road Use Fee

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by GasKilla, Mar 8, 2017.

1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

Plug In America

That link will take you to a site where you can contact your representatives to oppose the proposed bills.

2. gene

gene Supporting Member

3. Blup85

Blup85 Member

I'm not a fan of a one time charge to all, I'm more of a user based charge like VMT, but how do you pay for roads when there will eventually be no more gas tax?
    Bob driving 2k miles a year shouldn't be charged a $165 fee when Jack drives 20k a year and is charged the same..

4. GasKilla

It's too early to impose an EV only fee. I think the bill also has a gas tax increase. But how do you pay for all the premature deaths gasoline cars cause? VW diesel cheating produced 1,200 premature deaths: MIT study I can see an EV fee once adoption hits a certain point but right now sales are single digits and total EVs on the road are negligible compared to ICE cars.

• Like x 2
  5. GasKilla

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

We should take the example of Norway and raise fees/taxes on gasoline/diesel and ICEv until there is nor more marginal revenue to be had. Then and only then should exemptions for EVs be phased out.

• Like x 2