Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Clean Air Vehicle Decals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my plates from the DMV for my 6-week old MY. I’m planning on applying for the Clean Air Vehicle decals for the HOV/Toll lanes however I want to order “special interests” plates as well (the legacy black plates). From what I understand the CAV decals are tied to your license plate and the new plate number will be different than what I have now. . Should I hold off on applying the decals until I receive the new plates? Or can I order now and somehow “transfer” when I receive the new plates?

I was in the exact same situation, they just get transferred over to the new plates. It’s something that’s done within the system that you don’t have to worry about. Just for clarification, if you’re not in a big hurry, you could wait until January to receive your tags to get the longest time possible. If you apply right now, you probably will only get them in September or October, and you’re not getting a full 12 months out of this year.

I was in the exact same situation, they just get transferred over to the new plates. It’s something that’s done within the system that you don’t have to worry about. Just for clarification, if you’re not in a big hurry, you could wait until January to receive your tags to get the longest time possible. If you apply right now, you probably will only get them in September or October, and you’re not getting a full 12 months out of this year.
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking about holding off to maximize the time however it wouldn’t be for the full year. According to this, stickers bought this year will be good till 1/1/25. But the entire program ends in September of 2025. So if I wait to submit till 1/1/22, I probably wouldn’t get sticker till Feb or March so I’m really only gaining a couple extra months by waiting.

When I got my July 2018 MX, I applied for and recieved the decals but my girlfriend announced that they were ugly on the car, so I have not put them up... they are still in the glove compartment. I have not had to use them much.
Mike P