Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California CVRP Rebate - Response Regarding Lowering MSRP to Qualify

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently Emailed CVRP (California EV Rebate) to see if the NEW MSRP Models would be back on the eligble list and this it the response I received if anyone was curious.

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Vehicle manufacturers must apply for Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) eligibility with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and meet a number of program requirements. If all program requirements are met, the vehicle is added to the list of eligible vehicles on our website. At this time, Tesla has not applied.
Please note: Certain plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are only eligible for a rebate if they are purchased/leased on or after the vehicle eligibility date.
We cannot guarantee a vehicle will be approved by CARB and added to our eligible vehicle list. Therefore, if the rebate is an important factor in your decision to purchase/lease the vehicle, we recommend that you use your best judgment given the information provided on our website.
If you ordered a Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y on or before March 15th, 2022 the vehicle may still be eligible for the program. If you ordered your Tesla on or after March 16th, 2022, you are no longer eligible to apply for the program.
Tesla has been in contact with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and made this decision to remove themselves from the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP). CARB will not be adjusting their MSRP cap to allow Tesla vehicles to qualify for the program. No exceptions can be made to this requirement. All concerns regarding the MSRP increase should be directed to Tesla.
I encourage you to visit www.driveclean.ca.gov where you can perform a search based on your vehicle type and zip code to see if there are any other incentives available to you at this time. Thank you for your investment in clean vehicle technology.

CVRP’s Terms and Conditions and Implementation Manual are updated every six months to accommodate operational process changes. Both the Terms and Conditions and Implementation Manual in place at the time of application will determine an applicant’s eligibility for the program. Changes to these governing documents may impact the applicant’s eligibility for the program.

The next regular updates are scheduled as follows*:

• February 28, 2023
  • July 2023
*Note that there may be instances where no update is necessary.

CVRP also reserves the right to update the Implementation Manual and the Terms and Conditions outside of the scheduled updates. The timing of these updates will be communicated here as early as possible.

Summary of February 28, 2023 updates:

Applications must be submitted within 90 calendar days of purchase or lease to be eligible for a rebate. Previously this was stated as 3 months.

In addition to the standard CVRP rebate, consumers with household income less than or equal to 400 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for an increased rebate amount of $5,500 (previously $2,500) for BEVs and PHEVs, and $3,000 (previously $2,500) for FCEVs. This amounts to:

• $7,500 for fuel cell electric vehicles (previously $7,000)
  • $7,500 for battery-electric vehicles (previously $4,500)
  • $6,500 for plug-in hybrid vehicles (previously $3,500)

i filled up cvrp application today for the 2023 model y and it shows model y is eligible for 2000 rebate

Great news! Could you show me where you were able you apply on the CVRP website?

The only way I could get to the application page is by clicking on a vehicle in their Eligible Vehicles page: Eligible Vehicles | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

But I could not find Tesla anywhere on that page.

click on the apply now link next to model y

1675657723203.png

CVRP website has been updated to show a message that Tesla may be eligible after January 12, 2023. Can I apply for a rebate for my Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y? | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

You may be eligible for a CVRP rebate if you ordered a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y on or after January 12, 2023. To be eligible, the vehicle must be on the CVRP eligible vehicles page within 90 days of first registration. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements.

I hate that there is still some uncertainty in that sentence because Teslas still aren't on the eligible vehicle page, but its better than nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
The CVRP website is a hot mess right now, super confusing. As others noted, it says the vehicle must be on the eligible vehicles page within 90 days of registration (and it currently isn't on that page). The "Apply Now" button seems to only be for Tesla's purchased on or before March 15, 2022 but I decided to apply anyway. What's the worst that can happen, they cancel my application and I have to start over (once the car is added to the eligible vehicle list)?

FYI, when you click "Apply Now" it says "If your Tesla’s first date of registration is on/after March 16th, 2022, please upload verification with your other supporting documents that your Order Date was on/before March 15th, 2022 to avoid cancellation." This is super confusing, but I think it is there because someone could have locked in their price before March 15th (order date), but the CVRP uses the registration date for a Tesla, which may be after March 15th, 2022.

The CVRP website is a hot mess right now, super confusing. As others noted, it says the vehicle must be on the eligible vehicles page within 90 days of registration (and it currently isn't on that page). The "Apply Now" button seems to only be for Tesla's purchased on or before March 15, 2022 but I decided to apply anyway. What's the worst that can happen, they cancel my application and I have to start over (once the car is added to the eligible vehicle list)?

FYI, when you click "Apply Now" it says "If your Tesla’s first date of registration is on/after March 16th, 2022, please upload verification with your other supporting documents that your Order Date was on/before March 15th, 2022 to avoid cancellation." This is super confusing, but I think it is there because someone could have locked in their price before March 15th (order date), but the CVRP uses the registration date for a Tesla, which may be after March 15th, 2022.
Update on my application, CVRP cancelled it this morning. It appears they will not accept the application until the Tesla Model Y is officially placed back on the eligible vehicle list.

• Helpful
Reactions: chobra
So I have a question about what constitutes a good proof of purchase - it seems some people have been able to get by with just the order agreement? (CVRP $2000 MYP Qualification based on order date. Anyone have a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement?)

Currently, the income limits change if "purchase" happens after Feb 24 - my delivery is some time in late March / April, but my order is already placed. Would I be able to still claim the CVRP rebate with my order agreement document?

Trawled through documentation on CVRP website which states that
a) "purchase date" is defined as the date when vehicle is registered with California DMV
1676456113112.png

and

b) there's a few different permutations for allowed documents for proof of purchase, one of which includes the order agreement but only if it contains a VIN (mine doesn't) - https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...on/cvrp/Tesla_Sample_Supporting_Documents.pdf
1676456168034.png
1676456216500.png

Given the discrepancy between seemingly hard coded requirements on CVRP website on the one hand and feedback from a TMC member above (who was able to get by with just the order agreement), which do I believe? Does anyone have experience with the strictness of the documentation required by CVRP?
There is no way I'll be able to get the car delivered + registered with DMV before Feb 24th :(