Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

california CVRP rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is my understanding the funding comes from the Cap-and-Trade Program auctions. Once of which just closed on the 14th of August. The next auction closes on Nov 14th.

Oh wow I think you’re right. Learned something new. I heard about selling credits. And buying credits. But never really understood it. I always heard Tesla selling all their credits to other manufactures. So this is what it is. The money for CVRP is the “penality” the ICE manufactures pay for exceeding the cap (burning more than what’s allocated to them) basically to sell more of their precious gas burners in California.

So is this why manufactures have these compliance EVs? Or get more “credit” to sell the gas burners? Is this the same reason behind the compliance EVs?
Edit: Maybe? Why some EVs are only available in a few states

It’s the last paragraph of this which states where the money comes from:
https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

And here is how cap and trade works: How cap and trade works

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Oh wow I think you’re right. Learned something new. I heard about selling credits. And buying credits. But never really understood it. I always heard Tesla selling all their credits to other manufactures. So this is what it is. The money for CVRP is the “penality” the ICE manufactures pay for exceeding the cap (burning more than what’s allocated to them) basically to sell more of their precious gas burners in California.

So is this why manufactures have these compliance EVs? Or get more “credit” to sell the gas burners? Is this the same reason behind the compliance EVs?
Edit: Maybe? Why some EVs are only available in a few states

It’s the last paragraph of this which states where the money comes from:
https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/site...cvrp/documents/CVRP-Implementation-Manual.pdf

And here is how cap and trade works: How cap and trade works
i think you're confusing two different programs

tesla sells ZEV credits to manufacturers who do not sell enough ZEVs on their own. every manufacturer must meet a certain quota of ZEVs sold to continue being able to sell any cars in CARB states at all.

the CVRP funding comes from proceeds of GHG auctions. this is completely separate and has to do with how much factories, power plants, etc are allowed to emit into the atmosphere. businesses were given some number of credits based on historical emissions and then over time as they reduce their emissions and have excess credits they can sell them to others who are not meeting their goals.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Troy916
the CVRP funding comes from proceeds of GHG auctions. this is completely separate and has to do with how much factories, power plants, etc are allowed to emit into the atmosphere. businesses were given some number of credits based on historical emissions and then over time as they reduce their emissions and have excess credits they can sell them to others who are not meeting their goals.

Is the GHG same as Cap and trade?

On September 2017, the Legislature approved $140 million in Cap- and-Trade auction proceeds for CVRP. Of the $140 million, CARB allocated $60 million to cover the remaining FY 2016-17 demand, and the other $80 million will cover the FY 2017-18 rebates.

Are CVRP funds currently available? We just got registration for a new model 3? Is there anything tricky about applying? Are funds available?

They don’t run out of money. They keep refilling their pot every time it runs low. Don’t worry about that.

There isn’t anything tricky about applying. Their instructions are very well written and the website to submit the application and documents is a breeze. If you ever have any questions, shoot them an email or call. They respond promptly.

I have processed four rebates with them in the past six years and had some unique situations to discuss with them. Their support was surprisingly great.