Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

california CVRP rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
can i apply for the rebate immediately on taking delivery, or do i have to wait for my plates? i looked at the first page of the application and didn't see a spot for plate number, but i didn't want to start it and end up not being able to complete it...

You can use the temporary registration on the window. It only took 2 weeks to get my sequential plates and about 5 months for the rebate check to arrive. I believe there are plenty of funds left if you want to wait.

Definitely not "plenty of funds". Since I've started looking at it, the fund has gone from $25M to $20M just in the past two weeks. As in, 10k cars to 8k cars (@ $2.5k per car).

CVRP Funding Status

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Pkmmte
To give you an idea on the timeframe; once I had a VIN assigned and was advised my M3 was in transit to San Diego I started a CVRP application on 3/27/18 and saved the application. That reserved funds for my rebate. After taking delivery on 4/2; I completed the application on 4/3 by uploading copy of the sales agreement, temporary registration, and income tax forms. On 5/16, I received e-mail confirmation that my CVRP application was pre-approved. On 5/22 I received e-mail confirmation that my CVRP application was pre-approved. On 8/2 I received e-mail confirmation that the check had been mailed. I received the check on 8/4. Best advice I can give is to start an application once you have a reasonable idea of when delivery will be. That reserves funds for your rebate; even if at that time the allotment of funds has run out. As long as the State of CA continues to add funds to the program; you will get the rebate; it just may take even longer than it does now.

• Helpful
Reactions: boriszima
You can do it as soon as you take delivery. When you take delivery, the staff should give you a paper copy of all the documents you signed during delivery. Most of the paperwork in that package is what you'll need for documentation to submit for CVRP. The CVRP website has a PDF document on guidelines on what combination of documentation is acceptable. Easiest way to is just scan the full MVPA, the registration documentation, and make sure everything is signed and upload that as your full documentation. That's all you really need. It'll take some time though. I submitted mine on the 21st and status is still pending.

As far as funding goes, I keep hearing from other people that it'll likely be funded further down the road like it has been the past few years. I don't have any reason to doubt it but I'd still submit your CVRP son as you can after delivery.

To give you an idea on the timeframe; once I had a VIN assigned and was advised my M3 was in transit to San Diego I started a CVRP application on 3/27/18 and saved the application. That reserved funds for my rebate. After taking delivery on 4/2; I completed the application on 4/3 by uploading copy of the sales agreement, temporary registration, and income tax forms. On 5/16, I received e-mail confirmation that my CVRP application was pre-approved. On 5/22 I received e-mail confirmation that my CVRP application was pre-approved. On 8/2 I received e-mail confirmation that the check had been mailed. I received the check on 8/4. Best advice I can give is to start an application once you have a reasonable idea of when delivery will be. That reserves funds for your rebate; even if at that time the allotment of funds has run out. As long as the State of CA continues to add funds to the program; you will get the rebate; it just may take even longer than it does now.

Lilkely this works for you as you are in San Diego, I just tried to submit this, but got error because i put future purchase date. I guess i will wait another 4-5 days.
"Your vehicle’s purchase/lease date is in the future. This application must be submitted on or after your vehicle’s purchase/lease date."

Interesting, they added a popup on the funding page to say: "General funding is still available and standard rebate applications are being accepted. We are expecting notification on funding amounts shortly, and we will update the funding chart below at that time."
general funding shows $589,220
with increased rebate funding at $15,515,981

guess the increased rebate funding is for only some of Southern California, per this

general funding is currently gone. Total Rebates Issued and Reserved since March 2018 is sitting at $81,607,600
(wonder how that number compares with previous years...)

The pop-up notice still says "General funding is still available and standard rebate applications are being accepted. We are expecting notification on funding amounts shortly, and we will update the funding chart below at that time." I expect that to change on Monday.

per the auction schedule the current cap and trade auction (where the funds for CRVP come from) concludes on August 14th. The results from that auction are probably the notification they are expecting shortly.

Last edited:
general funding is currently gone. Total Rebates Issued and Reserved since March 2018 is sitting at $81,607,600
(wonder how that number compares with previous years...)

The pop-up notice still says "General funding is still available and standard rebate applications are being accepted. We are expecting notification on funding amounts shortly, and we will update the funding chart below at that time." I expect that to change on Monday.

What does this mean for folks who have already applied and have a confirmation number?