Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California delivery for non-resident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had hoped to take delivery of Model 3 in California and drive it home to New Jersey, but apparently if I take delivery in California I have to pay sales tax there in addition to paying again in New Jersey. Is this the way it would work? Obviously if true then Plan B is next.
Thanks.

...pay sales tax there...

Yes, it is true that non-California residents have to pay CA sales tax when they pick up their cars in CA.

There's a bill to stop that practice in order to encourage non-California residents to pick up their cars in CA without paying CA car sales tax (in exchange for potential increase in visitors influx thus, increase revenues in hotels, restaurants...) however, it failed and it was not adopted.

The other part about duplicated sales tax when coming back to a home state is dependent on that states. Some have reciprocity agreement with California, some don't. Some don't collect sales tax so some owners have been willing to pay once and don't get duplicated tax at home state...

If your state has higher taxes than California (not likely) reciprocity will mean you don't pay more. This question has been asked many time and no one has found a solution.

You might try a place like Nevada that has no sales tax.

I had hoped to take delivery of Model 3 in California and drive it home to New Jersey, but apparently if I take delivery in California I have to pay sales tax there in addition to paying again in New Jersey. Is this the way it would work? Obviously if true then Plan B is next.
Thanks.

I thought ZEVs ere exempt from sales tax in NJ? The person from NJ that bought my Model S didn’t pay any sales tax. So if picking up in CA you may only have to pay the CA tax, but if you get the car in another state, you may not have to pay any. Worth checking into.