Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV complaint over Tesla Autopilot/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knows what name would be acceptable to the State of California?

How about

- Super-Cali-Conformistic Driving Feature

- Cali-Forni-Cated Driving Feature

- Driver Safety Half-Assistant Feature

- Full Cali-briated Driving Feature

- California Complaint-Compliant Driving Feature

- Sili-Valley Technology Driving Feature

- Be Careful Out There Driving Feature

...name...
It's not just about the name. If Tesla loses, it will also have to change its website's advertisement/description/education/information.

That includes the FSD video demo. It makes me think the technology is already here, and the person in the driver's seat is not needed but is still there just because of the legal requirement, not a technological requirement:

1662094374086.png

Who knows what name would be acceptable to the State of California?

How about

- Super-Cali-Conformistic Driving Feature

- Cali-Forni-Cated Driving Feature

- Driver Safety Half-Assistant Feature

- Full Cali-briated Driving Feature

- California Complaint-Compliant Driving Feature

- Sili-Valley Technology Driving Feature

- Be Careful Out There Driving Feature
Chuckles ... sadly my money would be on something like TeslaDrive for AP and TestaDrivePlus for FSD.

TBH I think both Tesla and Cali are being butt-heads. Tesla for using stupid names when they could have equally well used other decent names and not got many people mad at them, and Cali for not sorting it out without absurd legislation that will drag through the courts for years. Political and business egos clashing.

Reactions: Yelobird and JHCCAZ
It's not just about the name. If Tesla loses, it will also have to change its website's advertisement/description/education/information.

That includes the FSD video demo. It makes me think the technology is already here, and the person in the driver's seat is not needed but is still there just because of the legal requirement, not a technological requirement:

View attachment 848100
Negligent homicide is a very valid legal reason! :p

But that is Full Self Driving. They reported that drive in 2019 to the DMV as L3 testing. :p
Wouldn't it be great if people buying FSD (exact same words as in the title), would actually get that?

Many on these forums keep arguing that no reasonable person would expect to get what is shown in the video when they pay Tesla $12k for a feature that has the same name. I think the opposite is true: a reasonable person seeing this (and some of the other videos) gets excited and may well think that what is shown in the video is what they are buying. After paying for the feature and not receiving what they thought they will, they are disappointed. Most conclude that waiting for possibly some day getting the feature is easier than fighting with Tesla to get a refund.

Wouldn't it be great if people buying FSD (exact same words as in the title), would actually get that?

Many on these forums keep arguing that no reasonable person would expect to get what is shown in the video when they pay Tesla $12k for a feature that has the same name. I think the opposite is true: a reasonable person seeing this (and some of the other videos) gets excited and may well think that what is shown in the video is what they are buying. After paying for the feature and not receiving what they thought they will, they are disappointed. Most conclude that waiting for possibly some day getting the feature is easier than fighting with Tesla to get a refund.
I like the Beta and use it around 95% of the time, but I agree that Tesla’s (not) marketing had me believing it could do way more when I got my M3 even after what I thought was sufficient research.

I saw Tesla’s videos (like the one above), I saw YouTube videos of the Beta in action, and I saw a few “haters” that didn’t seem to be speaking rationally. Unfortunately, a bit of what they had to say was accurate, and I wish they didn’t go to such extremes making it easy to dismiss them entirely.

My expectation is Tesla will eventually deliver a very capable L2 driver assist feature for the current hardware, and I’m okay with that. It’s not what I initially thought they’d deliver, though. Not even close. Like at all.

Reactions: DanCar
You did receive the beta. Many have not received it. Some never will.
Oof. You’re right. Even though what I received was far different than what Tesla’s videos and talks claim it can/will do, I at least have something. Two of my coworkers bought FSD, and after they asked me and I explained how to get into the Beta, they were both like…. Never mind. It is a lot, and only the most enthusiastic will be able to get it at this point.

Reactions: Ramphex
Shills and fanboys always put out videos that never seem to match up to my personal experience of the beta. We’ll just blame everything else though, where I live, weather by me, my car year and model, COVID, maybe the car just doesn’t like me

Or maybe shills just shill so all of us la-who ze-hers can make them money by clicking their videos 🤔

Shills and fanboys always put out videos that never seem to match up to my personal experience of the beta. We’ll just blame everything else though, where I live, weather by me, my car year and model, COVID, maybe the car just doesn’t like me

Or maybe shills just shill so all of us la-who ze-hers can make them money by clicking their videos 🤔

Reactions: Ramphex