Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received my plates. Delivery of car on 6/28, plates arrived on 7/26. Exactly 4 weeks.

Now I can finally get the sticker application going (who knows when the personalized plates will make it to the DMV, even though they were ordered 3+ weeks before delivery).

CHP have plenty to do without stopping a car that obviously has paid the fee for a car that qualifies. Will see.
There've been a few others on this forum who thought the same thing. Like anything else you do and get away with MOST of the time, you're happy & comfortable until one day you don't and then you'll wonder if it was worth it. I'm not saying you'll retrospectively change your mind, but many often do. :eek:

If someone refuses to put on the stickers, no problem.. Don't use the hov lane...you know the rules.
But, if you go use the hov lanes nonetheless, then you deserve the citation, as well as the citation for the lack of front plates, and probably one for the front windows tinted.

If someone refuses to put on the stickers, no problem.. Don't use the hov lane...you know the rules.
But, if you go use the hov lanes nonetheless, then you deserve the citation, as well as the citation for the lack of front plates, and probably one for the front windows tinted.

and the one for speeding too ;-)

Some people choose to roll like Elon. One small hov sticker, no front plate, legal tint, lead foot. If You get a citation of any kind, accept full responsibility, pay it and keep on enjoying your Tesla.

Last edited:
I haven't read all the post of this thread. But has anyone tried to get the HOV sticker by Photoshop-ing it before applying via the DMV? :rolleyes: You are guilty as charged so pm me if you are not comfortable with your secret being displayed. It could save 2 months: one month to get the registration plate, then one more for the HOV.

I am still waiting to get mine!

I haven't read all the post of this thread. But has anyone tried to get the HOV sticker by Photoshop-ing it before applying via the DMV? :rolleyes: You are guilty as charged so pm me if you are not comfortable with your secret being displayed. It could save 2 months: one month to get the registration plate, then one more for the HOV.

I am still waiting to get mine!

Seriously? You're joking, right?

- - - Updated - - -

If you got pulled over and didn't have the accompanying paperwork, I have a sneaking suspicion the fine would be far more than just driving in the HOV lane without a sticker.

I like to save my legal violations for 'excessive acceleration' and 'excessive speed'.

Seriously? You're joking, right?

- - - Updated - - -

If you got pulled over and didn't have the accompanying paperwork, I have a sneaking suspicion the fine would be far more than just driving in the HOV lane without a sticker.

I like to save my legal violations for 'excessive acceleration' and 'excessive speed'.

I came cross such idea from other forum. People are frustrated with the long delay with this simple application. Bureaucracy.

To assess the probability, I would think that 1 out of a million will ever get caught. Since I double there is total of 1 million cases like this, effectively there is virtually no case get caught. Still it does not mean it is worth it. Just a tease....