Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine over the weekend. Based on a tip, I place it on the plastic bumper so no worry on the paint.

And I should've put it away from the bend line. Well this is my first time... Should look better on my future X :)

photo (2).JPG

When did you send the application for the stickers in? And when was your check cashed? My check was cashed around 10 days back, but still no stickers.

I noticed that my check was cashed on my bank account, and that same day when I got home, the stickers were in my mailbox. I'd call them up to check.

On a side note, I finally got my personalized plates.. 2.5 month wait (ordered 5/17).

As a non-Californian(anymore), I have a question for you Californians.

I do a lot of driving in Ca and use my MS in the HOV lanes (sometimes alone). I believe I am totally legal, but not sure. Do "out of staters" need the sticker to drive in the HOV lane?

I do a lot of driving in Ca and use my MS in the HOV lanes (sometimes alone). I believe I am totally legal, but not sure. Do "out of staters" need the sticker to drive in the HOV lane?

Definitely not legal. Only a sticker and associated registration gives you the right to drive solo in the HOV lanes. You may not get pulled over, but if you did get a ticket there would be no way to fight it.

The stickers are only for CA registered cars that qualify. since you are out of state, you do not qualify. and to be in the HOV lane, you either have to have 2+ people inside your vehicle (in some areas it is 3+), or have a sticker driving solo. so driving solo in the HOV lane in CA w/o the sticker will get you a ticket, if you get caught.

**side note** i've seen plenty of people driving solo in the HOV lane who don't have any business being in the HOV lane. They are gambling that from where they get on to where they leave the HOV lane, no cops will be around or will bother to pull them over.

Try the CA Air Resources Board website or call 1-800-242-4450. They *might* be able to help.

So I called this number, and was promptly told that I need to call the main DMV number and ask to be transferred to the "Special Processing Unit". Of course, to get hold of someone at DMV to request a transfer is a project in itself :)

So I found the number for the DMV Special Processing Unit - it is 916-657-8035. The folks there were super helpful. We quickly determined that my stickers were mailed out around July 19, and that they are probably lost by now given that I still haven't received them :crying:. So I was asked to submit the application again, but this time asking for replacement decals. The good news is that I was told that they are taking only 1.5 weeks to process applications as they get them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So I called this number, and was promptly told that I need to call the main DMV number and ask to be transferred to the "Special Processing Unit". Of course, to get hold of someone at DMV to request a transfer is a project in itself :)

So I found the number for the DMV Special Processing Unit - it is 916-657-8035. The folks there were super helpful. We quickly determined that my stickers were mailed out around July 19, and that they are probably lost by now given that I still haven't received them :crying:. So I was asked to submit the application again, but this time asking for replacement decals. The good news is that I was told that they are taking only 1.5 weeks to process applications as they get them. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well good you were able to get an answer. Bad you have to go through the submission again (and that someone has your stickers out there)

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but my check payable to the DMV cleared July 25th and still no stickers. I called the DMV Special Processing Unit (who were great) and was told the stickers were mailed out July 26th. I was also told I needed to wait 30 days after the date the original lost stickers were mailed before I could reapply for replacement stickers...

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but my check payable to the DMV cleared July 25th and still no stickers. I called the DMV Special Processing Unit (who were great) and was told the stickers were mailed out July 26th. I was also told I needed to wait 30 days after the date the original lost stickers were mailed before I could reapply for replacement stickers...
Interesting, my cheque was cashed on July 23rd and still no stickers. I'll call tomorrow and see what they say.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think there would be a defense. I believe states have to recognize other states legal acts if they have similar features and are not explicitly ruled out. That's what lets you move about the country i.e. out of state plates and license. So, say if a state other than California has stickers or maybe special plates you might have a defense. It's the kind of thing which really should be tested. With so many states having their own rules, putting onerous burdens on out of state travelers is one of the major reasons for our federal protections. I'm read somewhere here that Colorado was going to require a fee and a sticker to use public charge stations; that seems like a major burden for out of state travelers.

(I replied to the wrong article, the quote should have been one of the out of state issues.)

Definitely not legal. Only a sticker and associated registration gives you the right to drive solo in the HOV lanes. You may not get pulled over, but if you did get a ticket there would be no way to fight it.

Last edited:

I finally received my replacement decals today :biggrin:. Application for replacement decals mailed on Aug 6, decals mailed by DMV on Aug 16, and I received them today, Aug 19.

Gary - I would send out the application without waiting for 30 days (assuming you want those stickers now like I did :smile:) making sure to thoroughly explain the situation. In my case, I did the following:
- Write down in Section B that you are applying for replacement decals, and to refer to Section D and E for more details.
- In Section D, under Current Decal Number, I wrote "Unknown - since originals not received".
- In Section E, I wrote down the following: Original application sent in [date]; $8 check cashed [date]; per DMV rep, decals mailed out on [date]; as of [date], decals not received; DMV rep advised me to send application again with request for replacement decals.