Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my decals today (9/7/13) and decided, as the bumper has to be replaced, to not add the large decals now, but instead, to place the small decal on the rear hatchback next to my "85" symbol. Is this a sufficient enough indicator of my legal right to be in the HOV lane? On a Pearl white model, it does not look so obtrusive!

I only put the small decal on the rear of my car. I drive in the HOV lane at least once a week, have passed cops several times, and I have not had any problem with getting pulled over for insufficient stickerage. I was pulled over once for speeding, but the cop didn't say anything other than "nice car".

What do you guys think of this?

California first to get electronic license plates? Easier to track? | Technically Incorrect - CNET News!

Maybe, we can have a bunch of vanity plates assigned to the car and digitally change them?

And, the HOV status can be displayed in there?

seems impractical. depends on what kinda cover they put on the device, whether there's glare, reflection, or obscuring of the numbers due to high sunlight (of course I am assuming that it is some kinda tablet they are putting back there).

maybe have a projector and beam the license plate number on the ground, leaving the backside of the car unblemished.

seems impractical. depends on what kinda cover they put on the device, whether there's glare, reflection, or obscuring of the numbers due to high sunlight (of course I am assuming that it is some kinda tablet they are putting back there).

It's probably some sort of E-Ink type display. They don't really have reflection problems and use almost no power when not changing the display.

Has anyone ever tried a magnetic solution? I was thinking about applying my stickers to magnetic sheets, placing them on only when needed. 90% of the time I have no need for these fugly stickers, so for the most part, I want them off. On the occasions when I need them, I could just slap one on, then remove it to prevent theft later. I would probably use only one sticker on the rear bumper. Yes, this is technically not correct in Calif, though I highly doubt CHP would bother pulling me over. The other options listed above, while "reusable," don't seem like they really could be reapplied multiple times.

Has anyone ever tried a magnetic solution? I was thinking about applying my stickers to magnetic sheets, placing them on only when needed. 90% of the time I have no need for these fugly stickers, so for the most part, I want them off. On the occasions when I need them, I could just slap one on, then remove it to prevent theft later. I would probably use only one sticker on the rear bumper. Yes, this is technically not correct in Calif, though I highly doubt CHP would bother pulling me over. The other options listed above, while "reusable," don't seem like they really could be reapplied multiple times.

Magnets won't work since the body panels are aluminum. You would have to put something on the other side of the body panel for the magnet to be attracted to.

I put my stickers on paint armor scraps so that they won't be directly on the paint. I was thinking that putting them on vinyl stickers, that would make them removable and reusable. One could them just put them on the car when planning on using the HOV lane. I don't do that very often

Magnets won't work since the body panels are aluminum. You would have to put something on the other side of the body panel for the magnet to be attracted to.

I put my stickers on paint armor scraps so that they won't be directly on the paint. I was thinking that putting them on vinyl stickers, that would make them removable and reusable. One could them just put them on the car when planning on using the HOV lane. I don't do that very often

Right! I left the issue of having to magnetize the bumper off my post. I don't know how easy this would be to do. There are plenty of strong magnets out there that can be epoxied on. What are these vinyl stickers that you refer to?

Based on a post I found in a Prius forum, I got these: 12 Removable Vinyl Bumper Sticker Car Protector Decal 2 Pack | eBay

Works great! Easily to reposition. I figure they are good for around 15-20 applications, then you can always pay the $8 again and get new stickers. I placed them on my car similar to the red MS above, and am very pleased with the results. I tried peeling the sticker off the plastic bumper and reapplying and it worked as expected. Just make sure the surface is clean! I'd post photos, but it looks pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Wow. I just drove alone in the HOV lanes for the first time and skipped a lot of traffic on I-15. Wow wow wow. That was inexplicably intoxicating.

I am no longer concerned about fine-tuning the placement of these stickers or having to remember to remove and apply them. I'm just going to leave them on the car.

...aahh, Crispix, now you understand why I treat the CA HOV stickers as a badge of honor, and a real perk (and now extended many more years).

Well, it's in my nature to obsess about such things. But yeah, I turned immediately. HOV stickers are cool.

We'll see if the same thing happens with the front license plate. I've just come up with a crazy removable system that takes seconds to put the front plate on and off. Emphasis on crazy. I'm about to go for a test drive and will post results in one of the front plate threads.

Last edited:
Well, it's in my nature to obsess about such things. But yeah, I turned immediately. HOV stickers are cool.

We'll see if the same thing happens with the front license plate. I've just come up with a crazy removable system that takes seconds to put the front plate on and off. Emphasis on crazy. I'm about to go for a test drive and will post results in one of the front plate threads.
Update us here with a link to this thread when you post it.

Ugh. I have my moose tail between my legs. Those vinyl stickers are CRAP. Don't get them. One fell off today on the road and the others are peeling already.

I have to send away for new HOV stickers now and do a mea culpa in the statement of facts for why I lost one. Sucks to be me.

The license plate thing has turned out much better, though! Here's the thread.