Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i stopped by the east los angeles chp office and asked the officer at the facility directly before sticking them on my car, he had no issue with it and said if i get stopped its because the chp officer is being a dick.
Well, that is one officer's opinion. I was simply providing information about what the DMV regulations state as to where to place the stickers. You can put them wherever you want, and take your chances, but I hardly think they are less visually obtrusive placed low ahead of the rear wheels as compared to low behind the rear wheels. If you do, then feel free.

Then it's sold !! just made an appointment to go to CA DMV next week... Can't wait to get HOV stickers!!
If you're going to the DMV to get plates, that's fine. If you're expecting to get the stickers, you'll be disappointed. You can only get them by mail by submitting the form REG1000. The only people that know anything about or can issue the stickers are the people in the "Special Processing Unit" in Sacramento.

i stopped by the east los angeles chp office and asked the officer at the facility directly before sticking them on my car, he had no issue with it and said if i get stopped its because the chp officer is being a dick.

Was the CHP officer driving this ... LAPD is going electric with 100 new all-electric BMW i3 vehicles

upload_2016-6-9_0-57-51.png

Variations of this question have been asked, but I still feel like after reading the responses that don't have clarity. My Model S VIN was assigned yesterday and am planning on receiving me 90D the third week in July, to coincide with turning in my Mercedes leased vehicle. I would like to oder custom vintage CA plates, which take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to receive. After reading the DMV form, it appears that I can order them without putting them on a vehicle, so I am considering placing my order now and then assigning them to my Model S when I receive the plates, which will either be before or after I get the CA issued plates that come with the registration a few weeks after delivery. Does this approach make sense? Am I missing something. Having recently moved to CA from from the East Coast, I am learning a thing or two that is different in CA than what I am used to. Also, I am leasing my Telsa, not under a business, so I am also assuming there aren't restrictions for custom plates for a leased vehicle for non-commercial use. To complicate things further, I was planning on going to AAA instead of the DMV to order the plates, which I don't know will change any of my assumptions. I would appreciate any insight, as I am a newbie to EV's and the wonderful world of CA DMV. After I sort out the above, then begins the fun process of hiring an electrician and waiting months to get HOV stickers.

Variations of this question have been asked, but I still feel like after reading the responses that don't have clarity. My Model S VIN was assigned yesterday and am planning on receiving me 90D the third week in July, to coincide with turning in my Mercedes leased vehicle. I would like to oder custom vintage CA plates, which take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to receive. After reading the DMV form, it appears that I can order them without putting them on a vehicle, so I am considering placing my order now and then assigning them to my Model S when I receive the plates, which will either be before or after I get the CA issued plates that come with the registration a few weeks after delivery. Does this approach make sense? Am I missing something. Having recently moved to CA from from the East Coast, I am learning a thing or two that is different in CA than what I am used to. Also, I am leasing my Telsa, not under a business, so I am also assuming there aren't restrictions for custom plates for a leased vehicle for non-commercial use. To complicate things further, I was planning on going to AAA instead of the DMV to order the plates, which I don't know will change any of my assumptions. I would appreciate any insight, as I am a newbie to EV's and the wonderful world of CA DMV. After I sort out the above, then begins the fun process of hiring an electrician and waiting months to get HOV stickers.

Moneesh,
You can only order the 60's legacy black plates via mail-in form, you cannot go to AAA or DMV office. You can check if your personalized plate configuration is available by going to DMV website.
Order now, because it will be 3 1/2 to 4 months to get the plate, they are really backed-up, pressing those plates in prison. Ordered mine early Jan, got them mid May.
Also select a local AAA office to pickup your black plates, faster than dealing with going to a DMV office.

Last edited:
It's too bad that the state requires such an ugly looking sticker to be placed on a beautiful vehicle. I am wondering if I carry it laminated, and to show it to the officer if that would suffice?

That or perhaps find a way to be able to stick it on and off only when needed.

This issue has been beaten to death. The white HOV stickers are not for the benefit/education of CHP. They know what a Tesla is/looks like. It is for the benefit of the unwashed masses stuck in the #2 lane as you zip by all alone. They ICE citizen stuck in traffic gets upset and call 911 and ties up the call center complaining about you. Thus CHP gets dispatched and wastes a call/stop to inform you of the issue. 911 is mad, CHP officer is mad, average ICE citizen is mad. No stickers on your EV, guaranteed big $$ ticket. Stickers in the glovebox--no good. Stickers are matched to plates. Unmounted stickers are invisible to ICE citizen and also could theoretically be 'misapplied' to another vehicle. Just get over it---or move to a more intelligent state where they issue special HOV/EV plates. Me, I have mounted the stickers on both of our Ses on the black skirts below the painted rear quarter panels behind the wheel arches, with the small 3rd one on the black skirt down low on the right. Close enough to the official instructions, and all visible. Ugly, yes. But a very valuable badge of honor---my time is worth a lot. YMMV.

JPP

Thank you for the great write up. Now it at least makes some sense. It would be an interesting stat on how many call 911 for a car pool issue.

One would think a state smart enough to foster a leading edge car company has enough left over brain power to have come up with a more elegant solution.

Hopefully I will be able to devise a easily removable solution so my "badge of honer" will only fly when necessary.

Variations of this question have been asked, but I still feel like after reading the responses that don't have clarity. My Model S VIN was assigned yesterday and am planning on receiving me 90D the third week in July, to coincide with turning in my Mercedes leased vehicle. I would like to oder custom vintage CA plates, which take anywhere from 6-12 weeks to receive. After reading the DMV form, it appears that I can order them without putting them on a vehicle, so I am considering placing my order now and then assigning them to my Model S when I receive the plates, which will either be before or after I get the CA issued plates that come with the registration a few weeks after delivery. Does this approach make sense?
In order to order the HOV stickers, you MUST have both a license plate and a VIN, and they must match. If you try to do so otherwise, you will get a rejection letter and have to start all over. The moment you get your plates assigned to your VIN, you can order them.

Moneesh,
You can only order the 60's legacy black plates via mail-in form, you cannot go to AAA or DMV office.
The AAA in Century City definitely takes Black Plate orders. I have seen them do it on two occasions (not for me, I like my Yosemite plates)
Also select a local AAA office to pickup your black plates, faster than dealing with going to a DMV office.
True dat.