Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or, maybe they just can't get at us @PtG62901 ?
Saturday I was buzzing down the 110S in the elevated HOV rocket lane. i was on AP going somewhere near 80, not a soul around. Then a sudden big blue flash and a belt of the siren. My heart skipped only one beat when I realized he was on the opposite elevated lane and had no chance of getting me. He made his point and I made a Tesla grin. :D

I frequently see CHP on the 110 carpool lines. I have seen them actually standing outside their car with their radar guns pointing straight at us on those "rocket lanes". I also see them monitoring for Fastraks. Let me rephrase that. I THINK they are monitoring for FastTraks.

Last edited:
Seems like the only person likely to steal them would be another Tesla owner and why bother.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I saw a non-plugin hybrid fairly recently with white stickers (and may have asked about this in this or some other thread here, as in WTF?)...made me wonder by what illicit means the owner got them...

Bruce.

I frequently see CHP on the 110 carpool lines. I have seen them actually standing outside their car with their radar guns pointing straight at us on those "rocket lanes". I also see them monitoring for Fastraks. Let me rephrase that. I THINK they are monitoring for FastTraks.

They are, I have been pulled over when my Fastrak isn't on the dash but it beeps. I showed him that it was a brand new car and I didn't get a chance to put velcro on the windshield yet. He let me go. Also had no plates.

Does anyone know the type of fine one would be "rewarded" with if the stickers are not displayed the they're supposed to be? (ie have them on the windows (hence removable). Is this treated like not having stickers at all and thus a carpool lane violation?

The reason I asked is...I got a speeding ticket (pre Tesla, 1st time ever after 20+ years of driving..) less than 18 mo ago and another moving violation would not be driving school-eligible and ding my insurance rates.

And yes, I realize I could simply slap these stickers where they're supposed to be and not worry about a thing. But that would be just too simple...

I
Does anyone know the type of fine one would be "rewarded" with if the stickers are not displayed the they're supposed to be? (ie have them on the windows (hence removable). Is this treated like not having stickers at all and thus a carpool lane violation?

The reason I asked is...I got a speeding ticket (pre Tesla, 1st time ever after 20+ years of driving..) less than 18 mo ago and another moving violation would not be driving school-eligible and ding my insurance rates.

And yes, I realize I could simply slap these stickers where they're supposed to be and not worry about a thing. But that would be just too simple...
I suspect that you might receive a moving violation without points ... as are all other carpool violations in CA :cool:

I passed the 12 week mark for the Personalized Black Plate I ordered this weekend. I called the DMV today and was informed that prisoners make these plates by hand and if they are on lockdown it causes delays... :rolleyes: they said to call back next month (16th week) if I haven't received anything by then. One extra fact they told me that I hadn't seen documented they will send you 3 postcards over a period of time telling you the plates are at your local DMV, one of my concerns was missing the one postcard they send. Also I should have ordered the plate through AAA as they would just call me on the phone when the plate came in vs sending me a post card :rolleyes:... The wait continues

I passed the 12 week mark for the Personalized Black Plate I ordered this weekend. I called the DMV today and was informed that prisoners make these plates by hand and if they are on lockdown it causes delays... :rolleyes: they said to call back next month (16th week) if I haven't received anything by then. One extra fact they told me that I hadn't seen documented they will send you 3 postcards over a period of time telling you the plates are at your local DMV, one of my concerns was missing the one postcard they send. Also I should have ordered the plate through AAA as they would just call me on the phone when the plate came in vs sending me a post card :rolleyes:... The wait continues

I received a small sized envelope, not a postcard.

FYI, I took delivery of my car on 9/23. Although I had not yet received my plates, I mailed in my application for HOV stickers on 9/30. DMV cashed my check on 10/18.

So it appears the DMV approved my application even though I didn't have my license plates at the time I applied. I was preparing to get a rejection letter and reapply...glad I won't have to.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy