Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading AB 544, it appears that the stickers expire based on when it was first issued, and not based on when the car was first sold. This means that I can buy a new Tesla in December 2018 and wait until January 1, 2019 to apply for the sticker so I can get that extra year? If my assumption is incorrect, please point me to the verbiage in AB544 that specifies otherwise.
You are correct that the date of first issue of the stickers is the parameter. The main "donut hole" in the law is that those who got stickers between mid-2015 and December 31, 2016 are screwed, with as little as two years of HOV access. January 1, 2017 started a new cycle, with new stickers issued on or after that date that expire 1/1/2019 BUT owners are eligible for a new set of stickers good until 1/1/22. This means that some owners will anomalously get over five years of HOV access. And of course, anyone who obtained HOV stickers in the 2013-2014 have enjoyed at least four years of HOV access.

Those first acquiring stickers after 1/1/19 will get stickers that expire four years from the date of issue. It's not clear whether that means a day certain, or the last day of the fourth calendar year.

EDIT: I just wrote Assemblyman Bloom, author of AB 544 and asked why the bill created this anomalous donut hole that is patently unfair to an apparently arbitrary group of sticker holders.

Last edited:
You are correct that the date of first issue of the stickers is the parameter. The main "donut hole" in the law is that those who got stickers between mid-2015 and December 31, 2016 are screwed, with as little as two years of HOV access. January 1, 2017 started a new cycle, with new stickers issued on or after that date that expire 1/1/2019 BUT owners are eligible for a new set of stickers good until 1/1/22. This means that some owners will anomalously get over five years of HOV access. And of course, anyone who obtained HOV stickers in the 2013-2014 have enjoyed at least four years of HOV access.

Those first acquiring stickers after 1/1/19 will get stickers that expire four years from the date of issue. It's not clear whether that means a day certain, or the last day of the fourth calendar year.

EDIT: I just wrote Assemblyman Bloom, author of AB 544 and asked why the bill created this anomalous donut hole that is patently unfair to an apparently arbitrary group of sticker holders.
Hi rxlawdude: Did you ever hear back from the Assemblyman's office? I got my stickers at the very end of 2016 so I will barely have 2 years of HOV access which was a primary reason to buy the Tesla?
Thanks

Hi rxlawdude: Did you ever hear back from the Assemblyman's office? I got my stickers at the very end of 2016 so I will barely have 2 years of HOV access which was a primary reason to buy the Tesla?
Thanks
Unfortunately, nothing from Asm. Bloom. Not surprising, as I'm not a constituent of his.

There is a new bill for the 2018 session that extends HOV access for anyone with a qualifying vehicle, regardless of whether and when a sticker was issued, for four years. The catch: only for those with household incomes below 80% of the median income in California.

Why the nexus between income and HOV access? Good question!

Looks like they updated the website and now shows new RED CAV decal. Interesting it's valid till January 1, 2019.
Wondering if this just a typo or a temporary sticker?

Clean Air Vehicle (CAV) Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle HOV Lane Usage

Let's hope that is a mistake ... not hard to believe coming from our California.Gov bureaucracy :cool:

upload_2018-3-5_21-53-16.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
After reading the DMV page, I'm not convinced that the Red sticker is meant for Teslas (ZEVs). It's for the same criteria as the Green stickers: SULEVs, PZEVs, and TZEVs (i.e. hybrids). The White sticker is still the one for 100% ZEVs.

Also, the section on CAV Decal Placement on that page draws a distinction between White decals and Red/Green decals:
  • For white decals, place on the right side of the rear bumper only, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.
  • For green and red decals, place on the right side of each bumper, front and rear, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.

came here to see if there was any insight into this new sticker. it seems to be a combination white/green moves to red only for 9 months. why? unless the red are going to be moved to the 2022 bunch and then the old white and green need to re-apply?

it is meant for tesla's. the first part is the white criteria and the second aprt is the green criteria.

has anyone who applied for sticker in Jan/Feb gotten theirs? im starting to wonder if this is why mine are late.

I called DMV and it's the red stickers going forward... you will have to apply again in Jan from what she said but that made no sense. Most likely if you applied now you will be issued the Red sticker which will be valid till Jan 1, 2022. Also there will no longer be a distinction between Plug-ins and Pure electrics.

came here to see if there was any insight into this new sticker. it seems to be a combination white/green moves to red only for 9 months. why? unless the red are going to be moved to the 2022 bunch and then the old white and green need to re-apply?

it is meant for tesla's. the first part is the white criteria and the second aprt is the green criteria.

has anyone who applied for sticker in Jan/Feb gotten theirs? im starting to wonder if this is why mine are late.

I mailed my application and check in on 1/22/18 for my MS and my check hasn't been cashed yet.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Bank account updated overnight and shows the $22 check cashed. Based on what the DMV website says (as already discussed here), I'm anxious to see if there are any changes/updates for the expiration of the Red stickers. It kind of sucks having waited all this time to get the application process and pay $22 only to have the sticker expire in 9 months.

Mailed app/check 1/22/18
Check cashed 3/7/18