Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-Got car 12/21/17
-Got plates 1/13/18
-Got very excited and mailed all + Check 1/13
-Called every day and checked bank every day starting 2/20
-3/10 receive my application back in the mail because I hadn’t signed it and accidentally wrote 2017 instead of 2018!!
-3/12 mail in perfect app AGAIN, crying because I’m at the back of the line. Here’s to another 2 month wait. Ugh

The DMV actually did you a favor ... you will eventually get Red HOV decals :cool:

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Mine makes no mention of expiration. The only expiration mentioned is my registration expiration which is 1 yr from purchase.

You may be right (probably right). I'll have to double check the registration form that I got with the stickers when I get home. I briefly looked at it last night and just assumed that the registration paper they provided was in regards to the HOV stickers. It didn't cross my mind that they would send another registration card.

You may be right (probably right). I'll have to double check the registration form that I got with the stickers when I get home. I briefly looked at it last night and just assumed that the registration paper they provided was in regards to the HOV stickers. It didn't cross my mind that they would send another registration card.

The registration card is tied to the stickers. You need to be issued a new registration card when you get the stickers, and if you get pulled over and your registration in the car doesn't have the sticker number on it you will get a ticket.

The registration card is tied to the stickers. You need to be issued a new registration card when you get the stickers, and if you get pulled over and your registration in the car doesn't have the sticker number on it you will get a ticket.

My sticker starts with SU######, but the MISC# on the new registration card is missing the U, S#######. I wonder if they have a typo or that's just how it was supposed to be. There is also a separate HOV decal certificate.

Just got our white stickers ... for our red car. Must have missed cutover by days.

DMV advised that we could return and re-apply.

Trying to determine whether aesthetic improvement would justify the six-week wait.

Anyone have the new red on a red Tesla and can comment on the color fit?

Just got our white stickers ... for our red car. Must have missed cutover by days.

DMV advised that we could return and re-apply.

Trying to determine whether aesthetic improvement would justify the six-week wait.

Should not matter because if you’re placing stickers on the red paint, rather than on the black plastic below, you’re doing it wrong. Don’t mess up your paint by placing an impossible to remove temporary sticker on it. Please.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
It really only makes sense for the red to be the extended ones, otherwise it is a ton of extra paperwork and work to create the new ones, plus they went through the effort of a new color for 9 months? Absurd.

That said:

I picked up my 3 on 3/8, mailed for stickers on 3/9 (with our S, I learned you do NOT need the plates to mail, as long as the plates are issued by the time they get to the application, you are good).
My plates came insanely fast, they shipped from Sacramento on 3/12(yes, 4 days after purchase)

So now I have plates and am waiting for sticker.

FYI they are running about 3 weeks right now. I called yesterday and was told they were processing 2/21.

They also confirmed that the red stickers will be the extended ones. Granted, she also told me they are still sending white/green and won’t send red till next year, which we know is wrong.

FYI they are running about 3 weeks right now. I called yesterday and was told they were processing 2/21.

They also confirmed that the red stickers will be the extended ones. Granted, she also told me they are still sending white/green and won’t send red till next year, which we know is wrong.

Sounds like she was just guessing like the rest of us! If they are going to continue to use the red ones until 2022, they should have just posted it now instead of putting in both website and actually paperwork with the red stickers saying that they will expire on 1/1/2019 along with the white and green stickers. Maybe they are doing it on purpose so by the end of the year, when people with red stickers send in their $22 to switch to the new one.. they will be told that "oh BTW, your red one is good until 2022, thank you for your donation of $22 to the CA general fund!". ;)

• Funny
Reactions: miimura
They are currently issuing the new decals ... :cool:

IMG_8070.jpg

• Funny
Should not matter because if you’re placing stickers on the red paint, rather than on the black plastic below, you’re doing it wrong. Don’t mess up your paint by placing an impossible to remove temporary sticker on it. Please.
But I followed the directions..
69A33CC9-1D15-4C72-B363-8D223C4BAE6B-11490-00000A04E63AE2D1.gif
576D0581-5306-4093-8F9B-4A56914A7EA9-11490-00000A04E3E5AB0A.gif

Don't worry, I used xpel.
I have, I like.
IMG_9345.jpg

Last edited:
for those that have a silver tesla (like me) and want to see what the red stickers look like on it, my friend spotted a model 3 with red hov stickers and sent me a picture. The red doesn't look horrible - kind of blends with the brakelights. Still, I'm going to have a hard time putting them on...

Attachments

• model3_redhov.jpg
    model3_redhov.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
what size xpel or 3m do I need to install these stickers? is one preferable over the other? do I just look for it at amazon or is there recommended place to buy?

Thanks!

I think when people said they have xpel, I think they meant their whole car or the whole bumper is covered with it already. For me, I bought a roll of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSTPRT0/

Stick the stickers on top of it, cut them out, and then put them on the car using the sticky side of the 3M clear bra.