Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has your car been issued a HOV sticker before, ie to the previous owner?
the 2017-2018 rule is based on when any HOV sticker was first issued to your car.
so if previous owner had already gotten the sticker let's say in 2016, then you are out of luck.
your sticker will expire end of this year and that's it, no renewal for you.

I’m picking up my 2015 85D from Seattle this weekend to get the new HOV stickers! Hopefully this will work as planned

has your car been issued a HOV sticker before, ie to the previous owner?
the 2017-2018 rule is based on when any HOV sticker was first issued to your car.
so if previous owner had already gotten the sticker let's say in 2016, then you are out of luck.
your sticker will expire end of this year and that's it, no renewal for you.

I don't know to be honest. It could be as it was a CPO. But I sent in the form and marked off the box for new/never issued and they responded with the stickers. Wouldn't they say something if it had been issued stickers before?

Reactions: FlatSix911
White stickers expire January 1, 2019.

However...

"Eligible vehicles issued a white decal in 2017 or 2018 are eligible to apply for a red decal in 2019 granting them access to HOV lanes until January 1, 2022."
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Hi Russell, I'm in the same boat as you. stickers weren't included with my CPO purchase. I'm waiting on getting plates/registration completed from DMV, not sure how to check on that status.. (purchased and delivered 8/24/18). I know there is a local number to call but I haven't had luck reaching anyone yet. Any advice?

Do you have to wait until 2019 to apply for the red decals if you currently already have the white ones? Just wondering if it makes sense to apply now so you can have them before next year.

I would presume you have to wait because the instructions say you can "apply for a red decal in 2019".

Hi Russell, I'm in the same boat as you. stickers weren't included with my CPO purchase. I'm waiting on getting plates/registration completed from DMV, not sure how to check on that status.. (purchased and delivered 8/24/18). I know there is a local number to call but I haven't had luck reaching anyone yet. Any advice?

Just be patient. It took 3 weeks before I got my plates. They came from Tesla.

According to the ARB web site:

Any decal originally issued after January 1, 2019 expires three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. All decals expire on September 30, 2025.

I'm expecting to take delivery of a new Model 3 in 2018. Does this mean that if I wait until after January 1, 2019 to apply for the initial HOV sticker, I'd get an extra year of HOV use even if I took delivery in 2018? The wording is just ambiguous enough that I think waiting ~3 months will get me almost all of 2019 (partial first year), through January 1, 2023.

I'm expecting to take delivery of a new Model 3 in 2018. Does this mean that if I wait until after January 1, 2019 to apply for the initial HOV sticker, I'd get an extra year of HOV use even if I took delivery in 2018? The wording is just ambiguous enough that I think waiting ~3 months will get me almost all of 2019 (partial first year), through January 1, 2023.

That is the consensus, yes.

• Informative
Reactions: Crispix

Correct... :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: Crispix
White stickers expire January 1, 2019.

However...

"Eligible vehicles issued a white decal in 2017 or 2018 are eligible to apply for a red decal in 2019 granting them access to HOV lanes until January 1, 2022."

It makes me wonder if this would work:

Apply for new stickers now, saying current stickers are lost. Would you be re-issued white stickers? Or would they check the original sticker issue date, confirm that it is post 1/1/17, and reissue red stickers?

Here's the concern - if current white/green stickers eligible for a red sticker all apply in January 2019, the length of time to have the sticker processed would be insane. Current reports are that there have been 132k stickers issued post 1/1/17. Assuming a VERY generous 10% were issued red stickers, you're still looking at roughly 120,000 people applying for stickers at once. Current wait times for a new sticker are what, 3-4 weeks? Add in 120,000 people applying at at once....those wait times would be astronomical in the absence of the DMV throwing an army of processors on the job.

• Informative
I just posed this on another thread -- sorry, I did not realize this one already existed:

I just spoke with California Air Resource Board staffer at 800-242-4450. She confirmed that (a) the DMV has still not issued an application form for existing White Decal owners to apply for the new Red Decal and she has not received any information about when that application will become available, and (b) when it does become available the rule will be the the ORIGINAL White Decal had to be issued on 1/1/2017 or later for the vehicle to be eligible for the new Red Decal.

She specifically said that if a car had replacement decals due to lost or damaged decals, that's irrelevant .. only the date of original issuance counts.

The URL of the current application form is https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

In the box for why replacement decals are requested, there is no place to check "White to Red transfer" and presumably that will change when DMV starts accepting swap applications.

If any of you see the new application go live, please post here so all of us will know. Thanks

• Informative
I just posed this on another thread -- sorry, I did not realize this one already existed:

I just spoke with California Air Resource Board staffer at 800-242-4450. She confirmed that (a) the DMV has still not issued an application form for existing White Decal owners to apply for the new Red Decal and she has not received any information about when that application will become available, and (b) when it does become available the rule will be the the ORIGINAL White Decal had to be issued on 1/1/2017 or later for the vehicle to be eligible for the new Red Decal.

She specifically said that if a car had replacement decals due to lost or damaged decals, that's irrelevant .. only the date of original issuance counts.

The URL of the current application form is https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

In the box for why replacement decals are requested, there is no place to check "White to Red transfer" and presumably that will change when DMV starts accepting swap applications.

If any of you see the new application go live, please post here so all of us will know. Thanks

I've heard that if you apply for a replacement sticker today and you are eligible, you will only get a red sticker since they're no longer providing white stickers.

I doubt this is the case. Look at the post from August, they are still sending white stickers.

Who did you hear it from?

Looks like things are speeding up:

Mailed application on 6/20
Check cashed on 7/3

July 16: Got my stickers - white. Hopefully won't have an issue renewing at the beginning of next year.

Mailed $22 check on July 18, Red Decals arrived on Aug 6 - 19 days including USPS.

Update posted - they will mail us the applications.

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

My Take - this vastly reduces processing times. DMV runs a script on existing stickers, pulls out all current stickers with issue dates on or after 1/1/17, generates application forms for all of those stickers, and auto mails out the new application forms. We approve, send it back in, and they process the application WITHOUT verification on an individual basis, as only those who are eligible would have received this application form. DMV should be able to churn these badboys out quite fast compared to the current new sticker application process where they need to individually verify eligibility before issuing.

FYI: If you have a new car and have not applied for a sticker yet, and are not in a hurry to get it, you are better off waiting until January to apply, since you will get close to 4 years of usage out of them:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

NEW STICKER PROGRAM - APPLICATIONS NOT YET AVAILABLE
Qualifying vehicles that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will be eligible for a new Clean Air Vehicle decal starting in January 2019. These decals will expire January 1, 2023. Information regarding the color, application date, and application process are not yet available.