Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update posted - they will mail us the applications.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

There goes my hope of they would just mail us the RED stickers and the new cert. I wonder what kind of "instructions" would there be if the form is pre-filled? Sign, date, and include a $22 check?

Update posted - they will mail us the applications.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage

Note: White CAV decals are valid only until January 1, 2019. New white CAV decals are no longer issued. Vehicle owners issued white decals on or after January 1, 2017, who are eligible for the red decal, will be mailed, to their address on file, a pre-filled CAV decal application form with instructions and a return envelope. The pre-filled applications are expected to be mailed around October 1, 2018.

My Take - this vastly reduces processing times. DMV runs a script on existing stickers, pulls out all current stickers with issue dates on or after 1/1/17, generates application forms for all of those stickers, and auto mails out the new application forms. We approve, send it back in, and they process the application WITHOUT verification on an individual basis, as only those who are eligible would have received this application form. DMV should be able to churn these badboys out quite fast compared to the current new sticker application process where they need to individually verify eligibility before issuing.

Anyone happen to get this application yet?

I received this letter via USPS today:

White Decal Front IMG_1176.JPG White Decal Back IMG_1184.JPG

I used to own a Tesla Model S with white decals. I bought it and registered it around December 16, 2016. I had to wait for the plates to come in for me to swap the plates to my specialty plates (which I had to visit DMV to do), and I had to have plates to apply for the decal program, so I selected my specialty plates as the plate I applied under (so that I wouldn't have to reapply in a week), so I had to put on my specialty plates in order to apply for the decal, so that was some time later in 2017 (maybe February or March), since the government sucks and takes forever for everything. Note that the car is no longer registered to me and has been sold and registration transfered to the new owner out of state. Furthermore note that the license plate was disassociated with the car at that time. Note that the sale and those registration changes happened more than a year ago.

Last edited:

View attachment 344146 View attachment 344145

I used to own a Tesla Model S with white decals. I bought it and registered it around December 16, 2016. I had to wait for the plates to come in for me to swap the plates to my specialty plates (which I had to visit DMV to do), and I had to have plates to apply for the decal program, so I selected my specialty plates as the plate I applied under (so that I wouldn't have to reapply in a week), so I had to put on my specialty plates in order to apply for the decal, so that was some time later in 2017 (maybe February or March), since the government sucks and takes forever for everything. Note that the car is no longer registered to me and has been sold and registration transfered to the new owner out of state. Furthermore note that the license plate was disassociated with the car at that time. Note that the sale and those registration changes happened more than a year ago.

This is actually a case of the state government doing something right -- they noticed your stickers were issued in 2017 and so the stickers are eligible for a swap to red. Even though you've sold the car and transferred it, I'd put this in the "just in case" category as the new application makes you ineligible ("must match registration" is boldly printed on the form).

Better to ensure folks get an opportunity to apply for the new stickers than not....

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo

View attachment 344146 View attachment 344145

I got the letter and form in back too. Why do they spell TESLA TESMR? It is the same on my letter.

I received this letter via USPS today: View attachment 344146 View attachment 344145

Submit the form and see if the DMV sends you the new decals... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Need and Ulmo
I got the letter and form in back too. Why do they spell TESLA TESMR? It is the same on my letter.
Tesla Motors and "R" ?
Yes, I think so, much like airports:

TESla MotoRs

It's really quite dumb. They ought to just call it TESLA. But anyway. I'm sure they call Ford "FDMNY" and GM "GEAMR" and such things. Ferari must be "FERAR", and Jaguar must be "JAGUR", and such. Who knows! Remember, those are not our papers, but the Government's papers that they use to do accounting; what they do is up to them, and has no reflection on us, so don't take it personally; those are not our papers and do not reflect who we are nor what we do nor the choices we make. Ignore them. Just politely inform them when you think they are confused beyond what could sensibly be handled as you go about your life. Never look upon an IRS record or a DMV record as YOURS; it is THEIRS, and THEY own it, so all you ever do is inform them when they are wrong; you never inform them that YOU are wrong, nor that YOUR records are wrong, since those aren't YOURS. They produce what is theirs and all errors of their records belong to them, and your errors belong to you, and neither must blame the other for their own faults, nor blame themselves for the faults of the others.

I have an odd situation - my CAV decal cert says 1/27/2016 under "date issued," which is a typo - it should be 1/27/2017. However, the time stamp on the bottom clearly states 02/02/2017. To be clear, the car was purchased in 12/16 and I applied for decals in 12/16, ended up receiving them 2/17.

Have not received a pre-filled form - concerned that a simple script sweep would of course miss this error. Any ideas on what to do here? Calling the DMV is an obvious one...but I've tried 11x and can't get through (high call volume, all back again).

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I was just at the DMV today to pickup my personalized plates. I asked them about my HOV stickers and they said they had no way to check on the status and that I could all Sacramento (good luck) if I wanted to find out where they were.

How long did it take for your personalized plates? We have been waiting for a personalized plate since 8/24/18