Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Despite having to wait for the application to get processed and sticker received, having mailed on 1/1 (for the purple sticker) I'll be paying for 4 years use from it (assuming they don't pull solo drivers from the HOV at some point). Of course for $22 they don't prorate your usage during the year you apply, but it still sucks that it takes weeks or a month plus to get a sticker and in the meantime you can't drive in those lanes without one.

My husband needed to take my Model 3 today and had to arrange for a passenger to use HOV to get to work. We have a few people in our neighborhood he can check with who work at the same company so more an inconvenience but not everyone is so lucky to have others to ride with.

Not complaining about the dollars but the waiting time. Wish you could pick a sticker up on the spot at the DMV, AAA or local bank even. Pay your fee and be on your way in the HOV lane when you need it.

The CA DMV is now catching up with the new 2019 purple stickers--a thread on the Tesla forums reports that folks that have mailed their app around 1/2-3/19 have seen their checks cashed, and 1 post shows that they just got their stickers today. FWIW I took delivery of my P3D+ end September 2018, but wanted to wait to get the extra year (so I skipped the red stickers). I mailed my app and check to the DMV in mid-December with a note and a copy of the CA DMV web page with the purple stickers. I asked them to hold my app until they could get around to giving me the new purple stickers. My check just cashed yesterday 1/14, so my stickers will be in the mail. All good.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
So, my stickers arrived today.....yup. Can’t decide which incompetent government agency is to blame here, but I know for sure at least one of them cares. Wonder if I can pay my taxes with a check that looked like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0057a.jpg
    IMG_0057a.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
First day commuting w/ my new Purple () CAV decals. Based on my purchase date, and application submitted date, I was expecting to receive Red stickers. I even included a note saying that I’d be fine getting Red if that meant not having to ‘wait in line’ with all others waiting for the longer-lived Purples. (I’m good with only 3 yrs of HOV access if that meant receiving them sooner than later.) Alas, I received the Purples (not preferred color-wise). But, I was pleased with the turnaround time, so I’ll take it.

- Picked up Model 3 on 11/9/18.
- Mailed Reg 1000 form 12/14/18 (w/ VIN only).
- Check was cashed 1/17/19.
- Received CAV decals 1/25/19 ... light Purple.