Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all that really matters is the VIN number. You can't change that on a car but you could change your plate to a custom vanity plate later too.

Well, they do put your plate on the form that comes with the stickers.
carpool-cert.png

I bought a model 3 2 weeks ago, should I wait until jan 1 2020 to send in my check for the HOV sticker?
Or is it not true anymore that when the purple sticker expires, you can't renew and get a new one?

According to the California Air Resources Board website, the CAV decal program will end on September 30, 2025

"Please note that the CAV decal program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025".

More information here:
Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

I bought a model 3 2 weeks ago, should I wait until jan 1 2020 to send in my check for the HOV sticker?

Or is it not true anymore that when the purple sticker expires, you can't renew and get a new one?
The HOV sticker program is now set up so you get 3-4 years of validity. If you apply now, you get a purple one that will expire on January 1, 2023. If you wait until late December to send in your application, you will get the next color and it will expire on January 1, 2014. After that, the car has no more HOV privilege.

Only you can decide what is more important to you: ~4 months of validity this year or the extra year of validity in 2023.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
There is also this:

The CAV Decal Program is subject to authorization by the Federal Highway Administration. If authorization is not granted, the program may end sooner than specified in state law.
  • Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by the California Department of Transportation and federal law for all CAVs carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence contributes to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.

I got rear ended today (the other driver fled - grr). There isn't much damage but I can feel small dents in the bumper. Contemplating replacing the bumper, but wondering if anyone had any luck transferring stickers on PPF to a new bumper. Waiting for new HOV stickers will be painful. I used PPF cut to size for the HOV stickers.

I got rear-ended today (the other driver fled - grr). There isn't much damage but I can feel small dents in the bumper. Contemplating replacing the bumper, but wondering if anyone had any luck transferring stickers on PPF to a new bumper. Waiting for new HOV stickers will be painful. I used PPF cut to size for the HOV stickers.

Unfortunately, this criminal behavior is very common in California... 1 in 4 drivers is uninsured.

I'm taking delivery of my Model 3 tonight with the paper plates. I was thinking of getting a personalized plate. Can I call DMV and interrupt the default plates and get custom ones sent instead? Seems a waste to have new plates delivered just to have to take them back a month later. Thanks!