TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'California' started by MikeK, Aug 19, 2012.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, they do put your plate on the form that comes with the stickers.
    carpool-cert.png

2. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

They don't seem to have settled on a standard abbreviation for Make yet. Mine says TSMR.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, pretty haphazard...
    My registration card says TSMR, and my insurance card says TESL

tsmr.png

tesl.png

4. Fusion

Fusion Member

They do but unless the officer wants to be a you know what. I'm sure that the VIN is more important than the plate. Can't change the VIN but the plate can be changed for a number of reasons. I wouldn't worry about it that much.

5. neonshaun

neonshaun New Member

I bought a model 3 2 weeks ago, should I wait until jan 1 2020 to send in my check for the HOV sticker?

Or is it not true anymore that when the purple sticker expires, you can't renew and get a new one?

6. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

According to the California Air Resources Board website, the CAV decal program will end on September 30, 2025

"Please note that the CAV decal program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025".

More information here:
    Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

The HOV sticker program is now set up so you get 3-4 years of validity. If you apply now, you get a purple one that will expire on January 1, 2023. If you wait until late December to send in your application, you will get the next color and it will expire on January 1, 2014. After that, the car has no more HOV privilege.

Only you can decide what is more important to you: ~4 months of validity this year or the extra year of validity in 2023.

• Informative x 1
  8. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Thanks for posting...

upload_2019-8-3_21-52-28.png

9. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

I would wait 4 months to apply as you will get an additional full year of HOV eligibility.

• Like x 1
  10. rickdogg82

rickdogg82 Member

There is also this:

The CAV Decal Program is subject to authorization by the Federal Highway Administration. If authorization is not granted, the program may end sooner than specified in state law.
    • Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by the California Department of Transportation and federal law for all CAVs carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence contributes to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.

11. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Does anyone know how much time it currently takes to process my application? I sent it on July 25.

Thanks.

12. miimura

miimura Active Member

Typically 8-12 weeks to get the stickers. It used to be ~4 weeks before Model 3 sales really ramped up in 3Q 2018.

13. Oyinko

Oyinko Member

Thanks for the update!