Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't guarantee it but I have a suspicion that XPel is the same material as the Zagg Invisible Shield (iPad/iPhone screen protector)... if you look at the texture, self-healing properties, etc... they are appear to be the same thing. You could pick one of those up and do a test (apply a 1/2" square somewhere inconspicuous) for a few days and see what the results are like. If it works you can just stick the HOV sticker on the remainder of the material, cut it to match the shape and apply it to the car.[/COLOR]

Has anyone tried this with the Zagg Invisible Shield (made for an iPad)? I'd like to use it to place my HOV stickers.

There's always the possibility that stickers could be stolen. (I've even had people pry off the Tesla logo on the back of my Roadster.) Stolen stickers are replaceable, you just need to send in the paperwork.

So far, my stickers have on for two years and not been taken.

Anyone worried about getting their stickers stolen?

My dad has his stolen apparently on his Prius

Unlike the limited edition yellow stickers on the Prius which could have been applied to another eligible hybrid back then, the white ones on EVs such as the Model S are not in limited supply and can only be used on certain EVs / CNG vehicles - so, I don't see as much of an incentive (for $8??) to try to steal these.

Finally got my vanity plates on and am going to apply for the HOV decals. Quick q: the DMV form REG 1000 asks for make and model of course; wondering if I should put in TSMR as the make (the registration says so) instead of Tesla? And, "Model S-60kWh" like was the case with the CVRP paperwork? Thanks in advance for advice.

Finally got my vanity plates on and am going to apply for the HOV decals. Quick q: the DMV form REG 1000 asks for make and model of course; wondering if I should put in TSMR as the make (the registration says so) instead of Tesla? And, "Model S-60kWh" like was the case with the CVRP paperwork? Thanks in advance for advice.
Interesting. My Roadster title shows the make as "TESLA" but my Model S says "TSMR".

Tesla filled out my paperwork but I would use "TSMR" as the Make and just "Model S" as the Model.

I have gone 3.5 years with just the small sticker in rear window of my roadster. I don't use HOV lane regularly, but have past CHP in lane and never been pulled. I keep other stickers and ev registration paper in the car.

If I ever got pulled over I plan to politely tell officer. The law is that a sticker would be applied to the vehicle. However, the DMV came up with the rules of multiple stickers. I have paid the fee for this electric vehicle and have sticker as law states. I have also registered the car with fastrak. The car is properly registered and with current insurance. It just seems wrong to plaster such a pretty car to satisfy the DMV. I hope at that point the officer would find it ok to let me go.

Last Friday at 4:30pm I was driving solo down 880 doing 70+MPH in carpool and traffic was going 45ish to the right. A CHP pulled out of nowhere to get right behind me and followed for a minute. I thought this was time I would get to test my theory. I pulled into other lane out of respect for CHP and got right back in after he past. It might just be that CHP around 880 know Tesla cars.

update: received my HOV stickers today
delivery 12/17
DMV cashed check: 2/7
check cleared by my bank (showed up online): 2/11
delivery of stickers: 2/14

Just about 60 days, as noted by another poster. A good friend of fine took delivery of his Signature in November, and is still waiting for his stickers.

They don't look too pretty when put on the car, but they sure will help me a bunch. (had paint armor put on rear fender for kids going in/out of hatch and for these stickers)

I had stickers on my Roadster when I bought it 17 months ago, and they were put on horribly - directly affixed to the paint, at odd angles, as if by a drunkard. I removed them with my fingers and a credit card. When you pull the sticker off, it comes off easily, but it leaves behind white sections of paint that say VOID VOID VOID VOID... They letters are about 1/2 inch tall and when the white sections are left behind from the sticker on the car body, it leaves clear sections on the sticker that say VOID. In other words, the colored part of the decal is left behind in this pattern. I was able to remove the left behind VOID white text with my finger nails and a credit card, as well as a little peanut butter. To remove it for all three stickers and the VOID marks took about an hour, but there was no mark remaining after I was done and no effect on the paint.

As to the earlier claim that the stickers are brittle, that was kind of the case with the yellow stickers, but not the white ones.

I have since painted my car yellow (it was previously Radiant Red), and I now have one of the small stickers, carefully placed directly on the paint on the passenger side behind the rear wheel. I drive past the CHP all the time and never think twice about it. FWIW, I also have no front license plate. At LAX they are very strict about front license plates, so I don't go there with my Roadster. They will even pull you over for a front licence plate violation there. But I have seen that there is a sort of "exotic car exception" on front license plates, as I had problems with that on my Mini and 3-series previously, but never a peep with my Roadster. Many with exotic cars have talked about having more flexibility on the front license plate - kind of like when the police pull you over to ask questions about the car. Disclaimer: I almost never park my car on the street. I park in a garage at home and a garage at work, or in some strip mall parking lot for restaurant trips or otherwise.

As to whether the S is "exotic" enough to get that exception, assuming there is one, I am an empiricist, so in time we will know. A friend said to me yesterday that he had seen "the new Tesla drive up next to me the other day. The one that looks like a Jag." So if one considers a Jag exotic...

In case anyone else was waiting a long time for their stickers too:

Received car: 12/23
Received plates: around 1/17 and immediately submitted my request for HOV stickers
DMV cashed check: 3/13

So hopefully will have my stickers next week.