Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got one on the rear and the rest in the center console. The worst thing I get is a fix-it ticket.

My motto is: it ain't illegal if you don't get caught :D

I'll put all three on the rear because I'm not as concerned with the aesthetics back there. But the front of the Model 3 looks awesome. I paid $50 for a front license plate wrap, so I sure as hell don't want some orange blob sticking out like an ugly, sore thumb.

I agree with you about the fix-it ticket, but that would require a visit to the county clerk's office to prove compliance. But over and above this, any LEO who pulls you over and issues a "non-compliance" ticket because you lack the front decal is either being a dick or is short on his/her daily quota. At least I hope so. ;)

Read the text. Small decals: "For green and red decals (and presumably orange), place on the right side of each bumper, front and rear, with the state pointed up on the bottom of the decal."

i.e. the front bumper only needs a single, small decal. Either the text instructions are wrong or the graphic is wrong. Or maybe the graphic is only showing alternate location for the front.

When I installed the red sticker on my Bolt earlier this year, I'm pretty sure the instructions that came with it showed a single small decal on the front.

The text instruction never mentioned orange. It also did not mention lavender. I don't think it was just a misprint of the graphic as the old graphic on the website was front and back (2 seperate pictures). They updated the graphic but did not update the words since last year.

There is only 1 reason I could think of why they want 2 in the front. So that it is easier to see with the camera. They are going to start enforcing the HOV lane with cameras in the front to catch single drivers.

Last edited:
The text instruction never mentioned orange. It also did not mention lavender. I don't think it was just a misprint of the graphic as the old graphic on the website was front and back (2 seperate pictures). They updated the graphic but did not update the words since last year.

There is only 1 reason I could think of why they want 2 in the front. So that it is easier to see with the camera. They are going to start enforcing the HOV lane with cameras in the front to catch single drivers.

Good possibility. When I got the red stickers, there were two large and two smaller ones - the two large ones on the rear quarter panels, and one small sticker for front and back bumpers.

So if you're right, we should now get three small stickers and two large stickers. Can someone with purple stickers confirm this?

... and why the heck can't the damn DMV update their website to clear up the confusion? How hard can that be, especially if they updated the graphic? Why do they still include instructions for white stickers?

As to why the sudden need for front stickers? Not really sure. I don't think it's for HOV lanes at toll plazas, as they scan plate numbers and match them up with HOV eligibility. More likely it's so CHP can look in their rear view mirrors and spot non-eligible cars.

So if you're right, we should now get three small stickers and two large stickers. Can someone with purple stickers confirm this?

I received two large and two small purple stickers in August '19, so a total of four stickers. The instructions stated one small one should be applied to the driver side front, the other small one on the passenger side back bumper and the two large ones go behind the rear wheel wells on driver and passenger sides.

• Informative
Reactions: dandrewk
I received two large and two small purple stickers in August '19, so a total of four stickers. The instructions stated one small one should be applied to the driver side front, the other small one on the passenger side back bumper and the two large ones go behind the rear wheel wells on driver and passenger sides.

So, same as red stickers. Hopefully it will be same for orange.

So, same as red stickers. Hopefully it will be same for orange.

The positions of the decals were the same for white, red, and lavender decals. Below is the diagram they had on their website just a week ago. They changed the diagram for the orange decals but did not update the words.

decal_location.JPG

I turned in my Model S a couple of weeks ago. Found two unused red stickers in my garage cabinet. Only installed two on my car (rear bumper and rear passenger quarter panel).

Think I'll stick with only installing two stickers on my next EV. Never had issues running them this way. Has anyone been cited for not having all four stickers on the car?

The positions of the decals were the same for white, red, and lavender decals. Below is the diagram they had on their website just a week ago. They changed the diagram for the orange decals but did not update the words.

View attachment 494126

IIRC for the white ones there were only 3 stickers - none were required on the front bumper. my first stickers were the yellow ones and then the green ones, and in my case both of those cars were hybrids. those kits came with 4 stickers. my next 2 cars were electrics and for those cars they gave 3 white stickers. i got caught in the middle of the expiry of the white stickers and was surprised when i received 4 red replacement stickers.

• Informative
Reactions: AZjohnInCA