Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The orange color is so ugly. Hopefully, we can get a better color next year, since it's the last year to get maximum usage out of the decal.

The decal program expires in 2025.

Where do you see next year is the last year to get the CA Carpool sticker?
Just get a M3P and waiting on my plates. With Covid cases rising, I probably won't be driving as much this year and won't have a need for Carpool as much and would rather wait till next year to apply to get an additional year.

Took delivery of my model 3 on 6/13/20. Anyone within the same time frame? I feel like my plates should be coming in soon but I have a feeling covid might’ve slowed things down.

also, does the CA EV REBATE send you the hov stickers with rebate check? Or is that a different process?

Since you cannot apply for the HOV lane sticker until you have your plate, I plan (this time) to apply for my plate BEFORE delivery, so that as soon as I have the Bill of Sale, I can fill out the HOV paperwork and mail it in.

One less delay. Of course, if you're of the opinion that 'there's no way in hell I'd put one of those ugly stickers on my car', all I can say is 'thanks for staying outta my lane!'.

:)
I just received my Model Y and drove in the HOV lane and got stopped. I told him it's brand new and I don't have my stickers yet. He mentioned not to bother putting the HOV stickers on because it's a Tesla and I'd be insulting the CHP. They all know it's ALL electric.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I just received my Model Y and drove in the HOV lane and got stopped. I told him it's brand new and I don't have my stickers yet. He mentioned not to bother putting the HOV stickers on because it's a Tesla and I'd be insulting the CHP. They all know it's ALL electric.
You had the one cool officer in the CHP. And I certainly don't want to insult the CHP by insinuating they don't know about Teslas. :cool:

I have a 2013 and I've never put the Stickers on and I still use the HOV lane. I always said, if I get in trouble I'll pay the fine and put em on. So far, the cops don't seem to care. I think they probably have better things to do than hassle Tesla owners over a sticker.

So, if he claims you don't need the sticker, then why did you stop you at all?

My experience was very different. I had a MS loaner from Santa Ana Service center and on the way home I use the HOV and got pulled over by CHP. I immediately realized/assumed that the loaner doesn't have the stickers (it didn't). I explained to the CHP that it was a loaner that I just picked up 10 minutes earlier and was so used to driving on the HOV it did't occur to me that the loaner doesn't have a sticker . He understood and didn't give me a ticket, but he stated

1. don't use the HOV while I have the loaner, because it has no sticker..
  2. I even gently replied, "but you know all Tesla's are electric thus qualify for HOV". He said that's actually not true, and used the very loaner I was driving as proof. Loaner, rental cars and fleets don't qualify for HOV, in addition, these privileges may go away in the future so "we stick to the rules - no sticker, no HOV."

My experience was very different. I had a MS loaner from Santa Ana Service center and on the way home I use the HOV and got pulled over by CHP. I immediately realized/assumed that the loaner doesn't have the stickers (it didn't). I explained to the CHP that it was a loaner that I just picked up 10 minutes earlier and was so used to driving on the HOV it did't occur to me that the loaner doesn't have a sticker . He understood and didn't give me a ticket, but he stated

2. I even gently replied, "but you know all Tesla's are electric thus qualify for HOV". He said that's actually not true, and used the very loaner I was driving as proof. Loaner, rental cars and fleets don't qualify for HOV, in addition, these privileges may go away in the future so "we stick to the rules - no sticker, no HOV."

California now has income restriction for HOV sticker. If you want both the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project rebate and HOV sticker and you make too much money, you may only be eligible for either one but not both. Currently, Tesla models 3 and Y is qualified for $2000 rebate. More information here: Income Eligibility

but he stated

i believe this. but i also believe that CHPs make mistakes like anyone else. long back when the yellow stickers were a thing i was running in my 2006 prius down by where the tesla factory is now on 880 and a motorcycle cop pulled up next to me and made a series of gestures which i interpreted to mean "you're running in the carpool lane illegally, but this is the end of my shift and so don't do that again." he took off and got off the freeway.

but clearly i had every right to be there. this was at the beginning of the program so i was not surprised to have a cop decide i was breaking the law. thus i'm not surprised to hear some CHiPs say "you don't need stickers" and other say "you absolutely have to have stickers."

Apparently he was on the side parked and never really saw the make until he lit me up.

I have a 2013 and I've never put the Stickers on and I still use the HOV lane. I always said, if I get in trouble I'll pay the fine and put em on. So far, the cops don't seem to care. I think they probably have better things to do than hassle Tesla owners over a sticker.
Depending on when you got them, they may be expired.

See Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV. The only valid ones now are orange, purple and red.
So,

1) Yep.
2) Doesn't matter if it's electric. If no sticker has been issued to the vehicle, you can't legally drive in HOV lanes solo during restricted hours. Ditto if the sticker expired. Yellow, white and green have all expired.

I intentionally never applied for HOV stickers for my Bolt because I don't want the clock to start ticking yet for no reason. Pre-COVID-19, I almost never drove on the HOV lanes during restricted hours. That happens even less now. I'm waiting until later. See Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board.

Also, further restrictions can come in the future or HOV sticker cars can be kicked out of HOV lanes in certain highways due to reasons like Our HOV lanes are so slow they break federal laws – Orange County Register.

California now has income restriction for HOV sticker. If you want both the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project rebate and HOV sticker and you make too much money, you may only be eligible for either one but not both. Currently, Tesla models 3 and Y is qualified for $2000 rebate. More information here: Income Eligibility

Complete nonsense from the State... and people wonder why so many are leaving. :cool:

...and people wonder why so many are leaving. :cool:
Yes; they are leaving in droves :rolleyes:

California Population.PNG