Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you can’t
Correct. The only exception is if you're low income where you can buy used vehicles that were issued CA HOV stickers before 1/1/2017. See Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV under income-based (IB) CAV program.
if you get orange now they expire 1/1/23. If you wait to apply until 1/21 then they’ll expire 1/1/24.
Close. Per Current Clean Air Vehicle Decal | California Air Resources Board and Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV, orange ones expire 1/1/2024.

The next color, whatever it is, if you apply in 2021 will expire 1/1/2025.

It's official! BLUE for 2021!

Glad I waited. With Covid and WFH anyway I wasn't going to use it this year, and the blue will look a lot more mellow than orange.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.16.27 AM.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 86
I’d rather have this blue on my dark grey than the current orange for sure. But the color might be too close. Ehh who knows. I just want black or dark grey. Better yet just make it a sticker on the plate or something in the window. Heck Highway Patril here doesn’t even cull over Tesla’s that don’t have stickers because they know they’re either eligible even if they don’t have stickers or know they have them and just don’t want those huge ugly things all over their sweet car. What’s the ticket for having the stickers (in the car) but don’t displaying them; or having them taped in the windows? Is it just a fixit ticket? Personally I have them on PPF and put them on when needed; but it’s kind of annoying.

Cool. I submitted N application this week. We’ll see how soon it gets here. Or if they even approve it. We’ve already had two in the household. This would be the third, albeit on a new car.

Certainly the 2021 sticker will nicer on the dark grey Model 3 over the orange sticker on the other grey 3.

Reactions: FlatSix911