Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like June is the expected turn around (about 90-100 days).

I'm curious in tying to time 2022 HOV stickers, maybe November 1 would be the best time to mail it in if the turn around is still 3 months and wanted to avoid getting the 2021 stickers. I wonder if you can argue that with DMV if you did get the prior year.

Following up on this: My check was cashed May 27th (I mailed it on March 2nd).
Ok I'm starting to get nervous (because our local USPS is horrible and has delivered our mail to the wrong address multiple times over the last few years).

It's been 8 days now since the check was cashed and I still haven't received it...should I call someone? Or has it taken this long for anyone else also?

Mailed my application and check 3/23, got a notice of incomplete application (REG 1010 stamped 5/27) but no box was checked or filled out as the reason, nor was any field in the form I submitted highlighted to address. Also attached was a change of address form (DMV 14). The only thing I'm guessing is my registration doesn't have APT next to my unit number (registration for old non-Tesla car had that, as does my ID), so just submitted an address change online.

Also noticed the form linked from the CARB website here is an older 1/2019 version:
Carpool Stickers | California Air Resources Board
The one linked on the DMV website is newer 1/2020 version, so I submitted a newer version.
Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV

I guess another 2 month wait again.

Ok I'm starting to get nervous (because our local USPS is horrible and has delivered our mail to the wrong address multiple times over the last few years).

It's been 8 days now since the check was cashed and I still haven't received it...should I call someone? Or has it taken this long for anyone else also?
Final update: I got it today, phwewwwwwww.

Hopefully this helps anyone else that has a delay in getting their's not worry as much if it takes longer than a week from when the check was cashed.

Reactions: pg62
Is it OK to drive on the carpool lane and keep your proof of application handy?
It is not our fault - its DMV who is responsible to send it back in time.
Absolutely not. In fact, even if you already have the stickers with you in the car, you can get a ticket if you don't have the decals applied on your car (people have tried this in the past, because plenty of people don't like stickers on their car). If you are just in application stage, it's even worse: you have not been approved yet and the DMV system will have no record of you being eligible, so you are just doing a straight-forward carpool violation.

Relevant law:
"(b) A person shall not drive a vehicle described in subdivision (a) of Section 5205.5 with a single occupant upon a high-occupancy vehicle lane pursuant to this section unless the decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to Section 5205.5 is properly displayed on the vehicle, and the vehicle registration described in Section 5205.5 is with the vehicle."
Law section.