Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stuck mine on PPF before sticking on the car's PPF. Ask your shop if they can give you some scraps (I did DIY so I had plenty of scraps). I was initially skeptical it would stay, but I searched and found this was commonly done, and so far after two months (through both hot, cold, rainy weather) there is no sign it is going anywhere. I stuck it the locations noted up thread:
California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

If you put them directly on the car's PPF, good luck removing them without ruining your PPF (also it will make it so if your PPF was damaged, you would need replacement stickers even if you are able to remove them).
Ok this makes sense - thanks for explaining. I want to be able to remove the stickers at some point (ie moving out of CA). Wasn't sure if ppf on ppf was possible, skeptical like yourself, but good to know this method works.

Talk about the DMV being fast for a change. I purposely mailed in my app & check on 12/8, thinking they might get to it in about 3-4 months. When I mailed in my app & check for my Model 3 back in Dec 2020, my check wasn't cashed until April 2021.

This time, DMV received my application & check on 12/10, and ended up processing it and cashing my check on 12/22. That's less than 2 weeks, which I haven't seen since I applied for my green & red decals years ago for other cars. When I saw this, I was actually upset and stressing that they may have squeezed me into the last of the blue decals. Instead, I received the new yellow decals in the mail last Wednesday (1/5), so they must've mailed them out on the first Monday after the new year. Even the 'date issued' shows Jan 1 on the certificate. I was out of town until today so I didn't know what color I received until tonight, but I saw on my USPS Informed Delivery status that they showed up in my mailbox this past Wed.

I haven't seen anyone post any pics yet but the first thing I noticed is that the decals are now facing the OPPOSITE direction. It's probably to stand out from the old original yellow decals from back in 2008. A bit weird looking, and not the color of choice (I was actually hoping for white again), but at least the yellow won't stand out as much on my white MYP like the blue decal would have. Plus, they're good until the sunset date of Sept 2025.

Last-HOV-Decal.jpg

Talk about the DMV being fast for a change. I purposely mailed in my app & check on 12/8, thinking they might get to it in about 3-4 months. When I mailed in my app & check for my Model 3 back in Dec 2020, my check wasn't cashed until April 2021.

This time, DMV received my application & check on 12/10, and ended up processing it and cashing my check on 12/22. That's less than 2 weeks, which I haven't seen since I applied for my green & red decals years ago for other cars. When I saw this, I was actually upset and stressing that they may have squeezed me into the last of the blue decals. Instead, I received the new yellow decals in the mail last Wednesday (1/5), so they must've mailed them out on the first Monday after the new year. Even the 'date issued' shows Jan 1 on the certificate. I was out of town until today so I didn't know what color I received until tonight, but I saw on my USPS Informed Delivery status that they showed up in my mailbox this past Wed.

I haven't seen anyone post any pics yet but the first thing I noticed is that the decals are now facing the OPPOSITE direction. It's probably to stand out from the old original yellow decals from back in 2008. A bit weird looking, and not the color of choice (I was actually hoping for white again), but at least the yellow won't stand out as much on my white MYP like the blue decal would have. Plus, they're good until the sunset date of Sept 2025.

Last-HOV-Decal.jpg
I came back to this thread to see if anyone knew what color the new stickers may be, as the DMVs website still only shows each up to the 2021 blue ones.
Yellow?? Blah! At least I have a white MS.

I will say that if you have the CA Legacy plate, the yellow decal kind of goes with the plate on a white car.

And yes, that's the only decal I'm putting on my car. That's all I've ever put on my previous cars for the past 10+ years now (one single small decal in the lower right-hand corner). Never had an issue on the roads in So Cal with this.

I did get pulled over on the Fastrak lane by CHP a few years ago and was asked why I was driving solo when I had my 530e. The car did look like a sporty ICE 5-series with the factory M Sport kit and 7-series wheels, and not a traditional looking PHEV. He didn't see the red HOV sticker on my dark gray bumper since it blended in with taillights and bumper reflector, but once I showed him the DMV certificate in my glovebox and explained to him the sticker is on the rear bumper, he immediately let me go without even looking for it.

HOV-Decal-Car1.jpg

Oh, so not really a "card", but more like a registration paper? That's what I always received.

It's the CAV Decal Certificate that I posted a few posts back. It always comes with your stickers and has the sticker number listed on it, along with your license plate number and VIN.

It's just a piece of paper, but I usually laminate my certificates since it sits in the glove box for the next 3-4 years and it keeps it intact.

Reactions: 4SUPER9