Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have/had RED CA DMV stickers for my 2018 M3. Never put them on, job change and then Pandemic meant it wasn’t really needed at all. At this point, is there anyone one can do to get back into the clean air vehicles good graces other than buy a new or more recent model year vehicle? It seems a bit odd that one can only get three years of carpool/other benefit out of a clean air vehicle purchase. Should have just taken the rebate at this point.
I have not seen older stickers being extended other than in transitions where some stickers got shorter periods and the program was extended further. Like for example if the program gets extended, some of the cars being delivered now that expire in 2025 may have their time extended. For stickers that got full benefit already (like yours) I don't see them extending. There is no indication there is a move to extend the program in general, so this is moot anyways.

The 3 years makes sense given it was only a benefit to get you to buy the cleaner vehicle. Giving perks beyond that doesn't really change your purchase decision any further, given it was long done.

I have/had RED CA DMV stickers for my 2018 M3. Never put them on, job change and then Pandemic meant it wasn’t really needed at all. At this point, is there anyone one can do to get back into the clean air vehicles good graces other than buy a new or more recent model year vehicle? It seems a bit odd that one can only get three years of carpool/other benefit out of a clean air vehicle purchase. Should have just taken the rebate at this point.
I have not seen older stickers being extended other than in transitions where some stickers got shorter periods and the program was extended further. Like for example if the program gets extended, some of the cars being delivered now that expire in 2025 may have their time extended. For stickers that got full benefit already (like yours) I don't see them extending. There is no indication there is a move to extend the program in general, so this is moot anyways.

The 3 years makes sense given it was only a benefit to get you to buy the cleaner vehicle. Giving perks beyond that doesn't really change your purchase decision any further, given it was long done.

Bought car 12/30/2022
Got plates 3/29/2023 (day before temp plates would expire)
Sent the CAV application actually around 3/24 because I received the title on 3/24, so found out the plate number.
Check cashed 5/3
Decals received 5/20

So almost 5 months to get the CAV stickers.

Bought car on 3/3/2023, still waiting for plates and registration. Temps are set to expire on 6/3/2023.
Contacted DMV and they said Tesla has up to 90 days to submit paperwork. Called Tesla, they said they submitted paper work electronically and its DMVs fault for long processing. Hopefully I get my plates soon so I can submit for CAV stickers.

Bought car on 3/3/2023, still waiting for plates and registration. Temps are set to expire on 6/3/2023.
Contacted DMV and they said Tesla has up to 90 days to submit paperwork. Called Tesla, they said they submitted paper work electronically and its DMVs fault for long processing. Hopefully I get my plates soon so I can submit for CAV stickers.
Received my plates two days before my temp’s expired

I haven't had HOV stickers since I bought my first Tesla in 2018. I figured, hey, if cops dont know what a Tesla is, then, well...

And I haven't gotten a ticket even though Beta FSD lately charges into the diamond lane almost immediately. And I commute to work alone in L.A. I'm not a flexer, but now I'm thinking that might be nice flex displaying my stickers on my Plaid lol.

Got my licen

se plates today a whole 2 weeks before the Temp plates expire.
I got mine the either 1 day before it expired or on the day it would expire. This was at the end of March 2023. I think this is more a Tesla problem vs the DMV, as when I called the DMV they were more cogent in their response vs Tesla who had really no clue what was going on and kept asking me to wait until the temp plates would expire.

It took about a month to get my HOV stickers. I decided to ourchase the pof for HOV stickers from Amazon. I put the stickers on the PPF first and then installed the PPF stickers on each corner of the car. I installed them low enough so the don't look to ugly.

Attachments

• 20230619_095118.jpg
    20230619_095118.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 123
  • 20230619_095133.jpg
    20230619_095133.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Picked up my MY at end of May and just received the permanent plates and registration card/stickers yesterday (was prepared to wait the full ~90 days and shocked to see it only taking ~1 month).

I want to fill out the REG 1000 form for the CAV decals but I've also just filled out the online DMV form for custom vanity plates... which have an ETA of "8-12 weeks".

I can go ahead and fill out the decals form and send it in with the $22 check using my VIN + (current) permanent plate number, correct? I don't have to wait for the vanity plates that will replace the "permanent" plates I just received, right?

Picked up my MY at end of May and just received the permanent plates and registration card/stickers yesterday (was prepared to wait the full ~90 days and shocked to see it only taking ~1 month).

I want to fill out the REG 1000 form for the CAV decals but I've also just filled out the online DMV form for custom vanity plates... which have an ETA of "8-12 weeks".

I can go ahead and fill out the decals form and send it in with the $22 check using my VIN + (current) permanent plate number, correct? I don't have to wait for the vanity plates that will replace the "permanent" plates I just received, right?
This has worked in the past.

Reactions: rub1k