Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HOV lanes are already rarely checked for single occupant vehicles (in my experience of eight months of using HOV every single day, not once have I seen CHP checking for this). In those rare occasions that they do check, I think the probability of them stopping you to verify if your stickers are legitimate is - I have to say - zero.

Careful about depending on the hologram thing. Older White HOV stickers do not have it. My Roadster's sticker does not have it. So an old CNG car might be legit. I think the holograms started early 2011 around number 10000. My sticker is less than 7000.

The fastest way to tell from a distance is to shine a flashlight on it from an angle. The real ones have a patterned hologram film laminated on.

I took delivery in September and my DS said I had to submit request for the Clean Air sticker so I had to wait for my plates to submit the application. A couple of questions, with the sticker can I go on the diamond egress lane? I asked thetollroads if I qualify for a discounted toll rate or no toll rate, I was told neither. So what's up, why are someposters saying toll roads in Calif are free?

I took delivery in September and my DS said I had to submit request for the Clean Air sticker so I had to wait for my plates to submit the application. A couple of questions, with the sticker can I go on the diamond egress lane? I asked thetollroads if I qualify for a discounted toll rate or no toll rate, I was told neither. So what's up, why are someposters saying toll roads in Calif are free?

Express lanes have discounts or free travel. Toll roads do not. The difference is whether the roadway was an HOV lane that was converted to an express (toll charged) lane or built as a toll road to begin with.

Examples in SoCal are the 91, 10, and 110 that were converted vs the 73, 241 that wee built from the ground up as toll roads.

Express lanes have discounts or free travel. Toll roads do not. The difference is whether the roadway was an HOV lane that was converted to an express (toll charged) lane or built as a toll road to begin with.

Examples in SoCal are the 91, 10, and 110 that were converted vs the 73, 241 that wee built from the ground up as toll roads.

Long story short - Read what the sign says. The toll/rule applicable to a car with three passengers applies to you when your car has the stickers on it.

(Anyone know of any exceptions to the above?)

Forgive me if answered but this thread is so long. Has anyone been ticketed for improper display of the sticker? Has anyone been pulled over and then shown chp the sticker kept inside the car? I just can't imagine applying this thing to such a beauty.

Forgive me if answered but this thread is so long. Has anyone been ticketed for improper display of the sticker? Has anyone been pulled over and then shown chp the sticker kept inside the car? I just can't imagine applying this thing to such a beauty.
I haven't heard of anybody getting ticketed for improper display of the sticker(s) or not mounting all 3 stickers.

Wamochi did get ticketed for not having any of the stickers on her car, and the cop didn't let her off even after she showed him the stickers kept inside the car.

Don't want to jinx my wife or myself, but we have one sticker (the small one) on our Model S and Roadster.

Model S has been ignored.

She's been stopped several times by CHP for

1) not seeing the sticker initially
2) not believing that the car was electric, she had to show the certificate that was issued with the stickers...

The interesting thing was that I forgot to stick the 2015 sticker on her car until a few months later and neither stop commented on that.

So you are saying that only the Roadster has been pulled over, not the S?

I have the full set of white HOV stickers on my S, but have only put the one small sticker on my Roadster. Can't bear to see those two big ugly stickers on such a beautiful small car.

Don't want to jinx my wife or myself, but we have one sticker (the small one) on our Model S and Roadster.

Model S has been ignored.

She's been stopped several times by CHP for

1) not seeing the sticker initially
2) not believing that the car was electric, she had to show the certificate that was issued with the

So you are saying that only the Roadster has been pulled over, not the S?

I have the full set of white HOV stickers on my S, but have only put the one small sticker on my Roadster. Can't bear to see those two big ugly stickers on such a beautiful small car.

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. Both cars only have one sticker (the small one).

I sent in my application seven weeks ago, and my check was cashed three weeks ago, and still no stickers. Is this normal? Thought I would ask before I tried to hassle the DMV on Monday.

I'm on the same boat - although I'm in SoCal. Called DMV, one person told me that it's probably lost in the mail and I should file an application for replacement stickers, another person told me my stickers are not lost and it might just got mailed out not too long ago and I should definitely wait 2 more weeks. FYI my sticker was processed on 05-11 according to the DMV agent, taking 3 weeks to mail something within California is ridiculous, but again, we're talking about the CA DMV here... Still debating if I should in a replacement application or not.

I sent in my application seven weeks ago, and my check was cashed three weeks ago, and still no stickers. Is this normal? Thought I would ask before I tried to hassle the DMV on Monday.

I picked up my car in LA on March 30, received plates on 4/30 and mailed the application on 5/1. I received the white stickers in the mail yesterday, 6/2/15.
Now I'm searching the threads to figure out the best way to place on the car...

I picked up my car in LA on March 30, received plates on 4/30 and mailed the application on 5/1. I received the white stickers in the mail yesterday, 6/2/15.

Thanks for the info. I sent mine in around 4/18, and I haven't got it yet, it's probably lost in the mail by now :( Getting the replacement application ready....

Just do this (pic courtesy of AEDennis a few pages back in this thread). I've had only the small sticker in only the place shown in this pic for about a year now, with a piece of XPEL protecting it. Never been hassled. Will never put the big stickers on the car.

14046181968_538a8acb37_z.jpg