Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CLX, sorry to hear that but hopefully we are just on the slow side as opposed to them losing both of our applications. I sent mine in on 4/15 and check was cashed on 5/7. No reason it should take this long. Did you just call the main DMV number or is there dedicated contact for carpool stickers?

CLX, sorry to hear that but hopefully we are just on the slow side as opposed to them losing both of our applications. I sent mine in on 4/15 and check was cashed on 5/7. No reason it should take this long. Did you just call the main DMV number or is there dedicated contact for carpool stickers?

Call the "DMV Special Processing Unit" at 916-657-8035. Calling the normal DMV 800 number wouldn't work - first agent told me to call another 800 number for the sticker, called that 800 number and I was told to call DMV back instead, called DMV again and was given the "DMV Special Processing Unit" number above. It took a couple hours just get the correct number to call, gotta love the CA DMV efficiency :p

Thank you. I tried the 800 number earlier and the hold time was two hours so I just hung up. Waited on hold for 30 seconds this time with the 916 number and got a friendly rep who said they would have been mailed out on the 13th and suggested I fill out a new form for replacement stickers. =(

Hearing about these fellow California owners with "new" sticker issues makes me wonder why Tesla doesn't just automatically register for the stickers for folks as an option in the order process (for California, at least).

The DMV has allowed dealers to obtain the green and white sticker ahead of delivering a car to the owner and then just collecting the fee at close of sale.

It's an easy enough option to have a field that a person ordering their car can click on and Tesla can then batch the necessary VINs together for sticker orders (I think they have to order in batches of 10 or something like that.)

As I mentioned above, after waiting over seven weeks from the day I mailed in the application I called the DMV on June 3. They told me the stickers had been mailed out on May 13, and if I hadn't received them by now to fill out the form again to order a replacement set. I did that and sent that in last Saturday. Of course two days later on Monday the original set shows up, 26 days after the initial postmark.

Here's the odd thing, the front of the envelope had a postmark from May 13th for 40 cents, and then on the back of the envelope there was a second postmark on June 5th for 6 cents. I am thinking they did not put enough postage on there initially and that's why it took nearly four weeks for them to arrive. Mentioning it here in case others like CLX are missing theirs as it might explain the delay in some cases.

The DMV won't let me cancel the second set so supposedly I have to call them when they arrive and then they'll tell me which set to send back. I've already put the first set on my car, as I save 15-20 minutes on my round trip commute daily and I was not going to wait another month for no reason.

Personalized plates and Auto club (AAA)

It looks like if I order a personalized plate via the DMV website, I have to pick it up at a DMV office- not real fun to go there!

I called AAA and they told me I have to wait until I get my license plate (I just picked up my car last week and don't have plates yet). Then I bring the plates into AAA and order mine personalized plate. Turn in my "current" plates and wait 6-8 weeks to get new plates.

Does that sound correct? Has anybody done this and not had to wait for the first set of plates to arrive? I finally found a plate I like that is not taken, and would hate for someone else to get the plate while I wait.

Thanks!

Mike

Recent application timeline (2015) for future owner reference:

End of March - took delivery
Mid April, 3 weeks after delivery - received the plate
Mid April - mailed out HOV stickers application
Mid May - check cashed
Mid June - sticker mailed out (postmarked 32 days after the application is supposedly processed)
2 Days after the postmark date - sticker received

All in all, prepare to wait 11 weeks after delivery before receiving the stickers.

order your plates now

It looks like if I order a personalized plate via the DMV website, I have to pick it up at a DMV office- not real fun to go there!

I called AAA and they told me I have to wait until I get my license plate (I just picked up my car last week and don't have plates yet). Then I bring the plates into AAA and order mine personalized plate. Turn in my "current" plates and wait 6-8 weeks to get new plates.

Does that sound correct? Has anybody done this and not had to wait for the first set of plates to arrive? I finally found a plate I like that is not taken, and would hate for someone else to get the plate while I wait.

Thanks!

Mike

Order your personalized plates from the DMV web site when you want. If your worried someone might take your idea, just buy them now online. You have while to assign them to a vehicle, before the DMV cancels and sends them back. The info AAA told you is incorrect.
Dave

I put the smaller sticker a piece of paint protection film (xpel) that my installer gave me when installing xpel for my car, and then I put that on the lower side of the bumper. So far it holds up pretty well and I can peel it off later without damaging the paint if I wanted.

Lower bumper, which I think is a non-painted surface, as shown here: California DMV - Plates HOV Stickers - Page 44

I bit the bullet and applied the decals to the non-painted lower bumper ...not very noticeable in profile :cool:

IMG_3824.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG

Last edited: