Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My HOV decals arrived today ... has anyone mounted on the glass or other non-painted surface?

Lower bumper, which I think is a non-painted surface, as shown here: California DMV - Plates HOV Stickers - Page 44

I don't use the HOV lane very often, and think the decals are awful, so I just tape them on the little rear window on each side if I'm going to need them. Technically not the letter of the law, but I'm taking my chances.

I put the smaller sticker a piece of paint protection film (xpel) that my installer gave me when installing xpel for my car, and then I put that on the lower side of the bumper. So far it holds up pretty well and I can peel it off later without damaging the paint if I wanted.

Yeah, I only applied the small one on the rear lower bumper. The bigger ones that are supposed to go on the side are in my glove compartment. >1 year so far, and no issues with the cops.

I did the exact same thing last week...but only applied on the right side.

Great ideas ... I noticed that the decals can be easily peeled off the unpainted bumper.
Perhaps I should move them to the inside glass on side and rear windows? Any photos?

Here's my timeline for a getting my sticker(s) to SoCal. I decided to go with the lower application of the sticker to the unpainted surface - used 3M PPF under and over the sticker.

June 18 - Delivery
July 11 - Plates received
July 13 - Mailed out application
August 21 - Check cashed
August 24 - Sticker postmarked
August 25 - Sticker received
August 26 :)
IMG_9422s.jpg

I'm curious if anyone has been pulled over by CHP for driving a Tesla in the HOV lane without the stickers affixed. If so, we're you ticketed?

I'd be interested to hear that too. I personally never got around to putting mine on and so far I haven't been pulled over or ticketed. It's gotten to the point that I'm just gonna leave them off and take my chances. If they catch me and fine me, then I'll put them on. Having said that, I don't use the HOV lane very much. Mostly short distances under 10 miles.

I'd be interested to hear that too. I personally never got around to putting mine on and so far I haven't been pulled over or ticketed. It's gotten to the point that I'm just gonna leave them off and take my chances. If they catch me and fine me, then I'll put them on. Having said that, I don't use the HOV lane very much. Mostly short distances under 10 miles.

I'm with you. Thinking about just keeping the stickers in the glove box and playing dumb if pulled over. I don't spend too much time on the freeway myself. Unless I hear a bunch of stories about people getting pulled over I guess.

I'm with you. Thinking about just keeping the stickers in the glove box and playing dumb if pulled over. I don't spend too much time on the freeway myself. Unless I hear a bunch of stories about people getting pulled over I guess.

I keep mine in the glove box. I saw one story here where a guy pulled them out and showed them to the Cop and he waved him on. I asked a friend of mine who is a Cop and he basically said "you never know". Most Cops are fully aware that Teslas are fully electric and probably wouldn't bother, but he also said if they felt like being a stickler that it's certainly possible to get pulled over for it. He just didn't think it would be likely considering most of the time I'm in the HOV lane during rush hour and there's plenty of bigger fish to fry.

I keep mine in the glove box. I saw one story here where a guy pulled them out and showed them to the Cop and he waved him on. I asked a friend of mine who is a Cop and he basically said "you never know". Most Cops are fully aware that Teslas are fully electric and probably wouldn't bother, but he also said if they felt like being a stickler that it's certainly possible to get pulled over for it. He just didn't think it would be likely considering most of the time I'm in the HOV lane during rush hour and there's plenty of bigger fish to fry.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the insight. Like anything, it all depends on who you get and what kind of mood they're in!

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the insight. Like anything, it all depends on who you get and what kind of mood they're in!
You forgot the time value element, where you are going and how much time you have left to get there. I seem to always push the envelope and would not want to get pulled over while driving to a meeting. The amount of wasted time trying to talk your way out of a ticket cannot be overcomed by playing dumb.
Also who would believe Tesla owners are dumb? :)
Monymgr

Last edited:
So my stickers have only been on a month, and one of them already has a corner that's started to peel off. Any advice on how to get it back tight against the bumper (on the paint) - before it gets worse? I don't want to use crazy glue and a toothpick if there's a better way.

So my stickers have only been on a month, and one of them already has a corner that's started to peel off. Any advice on how to get it back tight against the bumper (on the paint) - before it gets worse? I don't want to use crazy glue and a toothpick if there's a better way.

Easy fix... just place a 4x6 clear film over the entire decal to provide an added measure of security.

Looked on Amazon. Wasn't sure what to get. Can you post link, please?
You want 3M Paint Protection Film, a.k.a. Clear Bra. Here's the first Amazon link I found.

I actually mounted my stickers on top of the clear paint protection film, cut them out in the shape of the sticker, and applied them to the car. Here are the instructions I followed to do that.

(To clarify, since your stickers are already on the car, you would likely just cut out a rectangular chunk of PPF, big enough to cover the sticker, then mount it on top of the sticker using the same soapy-water technique.)

Last edited:
You want 3M Paint Protection Film, a.k.a. Clear Bra. Here's the first Amazon link I found.

I actually mounted my stickers on top of the clear paint protection film, cut them out in the shape of the sticker, and applied them to the car. Here are the instructions I followed to do that.

(To clarify, since your stickers are already on the car, you would likely just cut out a rectangular chunk of PPF, big enough to cover the sticker, then mount it on top of the sticker using the same soapy-water technique.)

Thanks much. Ordered. I'm going to try installing the film on top of the sticker.

You forgot the time value element, where you are going and how much time you have left to get there. I seem to always push the envelope and would not want to get pulled over while driving to a meeting. The amount of wasted time trying to talk your way out of a ticket cannot be overcomed by playing dumb.
Also who would believe Tesla owners are dumb? :)
Monymgr

While not a major consideration, there's also the PR factor. People see a tesla in the carpool lane without stickers and they see someone cheating the system. So tesla owners cheat. Thus, EVs are bad. (I agree it's a bit doomsday, but don't underestimate the logic of an American!)

I have run with a single CA HOV small sticker for three years, no problem until it was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I filed a report with the PD but have decided to not apply for a new set, but put one or two of the large stickers somewhere on the bumper. I don't think that the CHP really invests much if any time ticketing cars that obviously are certified to travel in the car pool lanes but haven't affixed the stickers properly.

For those who are curious and still awaiting HOV stickers, I called the CA DMV on Friday since it is getting close to 30 days and they have not even cashed my check, and they stated they are currently working on applications received 11/18.

Key word being "received" - it could have been delivered to their office a few days prior, but not "received" in their office until a few days later, and thus not yet in their queue for processing.

I sent mine via Fedex which shows delivered to the DMV 11/18, so I'm hoping they get to my app soon and I can get my stickers by the end of the year. It would make for a great Christmas gift! :smile:

Getting close to the end for the PHEV Green Decals

Eligible Vehicles - Single Occupant Carpool Lane Use Stickers

As of December 7, 2015, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has issued 82,113 Green Clean Air Vehicle decals.
The maximum number of decals available is 85,000.
California law allows single-occupant use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOVs) lanes by certain qualifying clean alternative fuel vehicles. A list of qualifying vehicles and frequently asked questions are provided below. Use of these lanes with a single occupant requires a Clean Air Vehicle Sticker issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Currently, there are two types of stickers that are being distributed by the DMV.

clean_air_white_sm.gif
White Clean Air Vehicle decals
are available to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that meet these requirements are typically certified pure zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell) and compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles. Per AB 266, the expiration date for the white stickers has been extended to January 1, 2019.
clean_air_green.jpg
Green Clean Air Vehicle decals
were originally available to the first 40,000 applicants that purchased or leased cars meeting California's transitional zero emission vehicles (TZEV) requirement, also known as the enhanced advanced technology partial zero emission vehicle (AT PZEV)* requirement. Per SB 286, the expiration date for the green decals has been extended to January 1, 2019. Per budget trailer bill, SB 853 (Statutes 2014, chapter 27), the green decal limit was increased by 15,000 to 55,000 decals effective July 1, 2014. Per AB 2013, effective January 1, 2015, an additional 15,000 decals were made available for a maximum of 70,000. Now, per AB 95 the green decal limit was raised another 15,000 to a new maximum of 85,000, effective immediately.​

Finally received my HOV stickers in the mail today! 34 calendar days after it was delivered to the CA DMV office via Fedex (11/18), and 6 calendar days after bank activity showed they cashed my check (12/16).

Interestingly, the HOV certificate shows it was issued/generated on 12/12.