Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days ago, I lost one of my HOV stickers.

The left sticker was kinda coming off, so I applied some glue before a long road trip to Arizona. When I returned, the sticker was gone. I suspect since it was starting to come off already, fast driving in windy conditions might have ripped it off completely at some point during my trip.

Now, I know I need to apply for the entire set as a replacement. But the instructions ask me to return the undamaged stickers along with the application. It also says they will wait 30 days before sending the replacement. This probably means I have to go without the stickers for two months. I use the HOV lane to work every single day, and two months is going to be a very long inconvenience.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to reduce the inconvenience?

I considered sending the application without the remaining two stickers saying I lost all three, and keep driving with the old stickers taking the risk. But I need to write a detailed explanation on how I lost the stickers in the application, and I am afraid they will be suspicious if I say I lost all three at once.

I would return 1 decal and keep 1 decal on the car during the replacement process.

A few days ago, I lost one of my HOV stickers.

The left sticker was kinda coming off, so I applied some glue before a long road trip to Arizona. When I returned, the sticker was gone. I suspect since it was starting to come off already, fast driving in windy conditions might have ripped it off completely at some point during my trip.

Now, I know I need to apply for the entire set as a replacement. But the instructions ask me to return the undamaged stickers along with the application. It also says they will wait 30 days before sending the replacement. This probably means I have to go without the stickers for two months. I use the HOV lane to work every single day, and two months is going to be a very long inconvenience.

Anyone have any ideas about what I can do to reduce the inconvenience?

I considered sending the application without the remaining two stickers saying I lost all three, and keep driving with the old stickers taking the risk. But I need to write a detailed explanation on how I lost the stickers in the application, and I am afraid they will be suspicious if I say I lost all three at once.

- - - Updated - - -

No more Green PHEV decals in California ... the 85,000 limit has been reached.
The White EV decal is available to an unlimited number of qualifying BEVs. :cool:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The 85,000 statutory Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal limit has been reached. The DMV will continue to accept applications without payment to establish a queue for requesters should an additional amount of decals be authorized. There is no guarantee that additional decals will be authorized in the coming months. Those individuals in the queue will be notified to submit payment if additional decals are approved.

California law allows single-occupant use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOVs) lanes by certain qualifying clean alternative fuel vehicles. A list of qualifying vehicles and frequently asked questions are provided below. Use of these lanes with a single occupant requires a Clean Air Vehicle Sticker issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Currently, there are two types of stickers that are being distributed by the DMV.

clean_air_white_sm.gif
White Clean Air Vehicle decals
are available to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that meet these requirements are typically certified pure zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell) and compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles. Per AB 266, the expiration date for the white stickers has been extended to January 1, 2019.​

Thanks. Follow on in that case, why isnt Tesla doing the same? Also, i just got my carpool sticker and it is tied to my plate#

I suspect that answer is because Telsa is not a "dealership". When we picked up our Model S, (1)we had to sign a DMV POA for Telsa to register/title the car in our name, and (2)Tesla didn't have us sign a waiver for "not installing the front license plate holder". The reason for these two is because Tesla is not a "dealership". I asked the Delivery guy specifically about this, and that was his answer. It makes sense, since dealers have DMV titling/registration authorities. I assume this same logic applies to the white HOV stickers as well...

Reactions: doofenshmirtz
You must have CA plates to get and use the White CA HOV stickers. Remember that CA Registration includes a Vehicle License Fee which is like a personal property tax in that it is roughly a percentage of vehicle value. If you have not registered a vehicle in CA before, you may be surprised how much it costs. Your location says San Jose, so there must be more of a story here...

You must have CA plates to get and use the White CA HOV stickers. Remember that CA Registration includes a Vehicle License Fee which is like a personal property tax in that it is roughly a percentage of vehicle value. If you have not registered a vehicle in CA before, you may be surprised how much it costs. Your location says San Jose, so there must be more of a story here...

Did a calculation from CA DMV site, says $6xx.xx for registration for a year which is a lot but worth paying for HOV.
I am not just sure if DMV lets you have HOV sticker even the car was not purchased in CA.

I also have a 2016 Volt and when I purchased it it came with Green HOF stickers, but had to wait for the plates.
It was a good selling point by the dealership. I have my HOF stickers for the Tesla but have not put them on yet.
Not sure where and how many to use, my last Volt i just put on two rear stickers on the side.

i stuck mine just ahead of the rear wheel on the unpainted surface
It is possible that a CHP officer will tell you that is too far forward, if you get stopped for some other reason. Here are the California rules for placement of the large stickers:

www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

Large Decals-
  • Place on the rear quarter panels, one on each side of the vehicle, behind the wheel wells, with the state seal pointed up on the bottom of the decal.