Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
came here to see if there was any insight into this new sticker. it seems to be a combination white/green moves to red only for 9 months. why? unless the red are going to be moved to the 2022 bunch and then the old white and green need to re-apply?

it is meant for tesla's. the first part is the white criteria and the second aprt is the green criteria.

has anyone who applied for sticker in Jan/Feb gotten theirs? im starting to wonder if this is why mine are late.

I applied in early January and just got my white stickers last week. Came a few days after the check was cashed.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
According to the dmv site it’s a March 2018 cutover to red. I wonder if timing is everything here.
See my post above. Just got off the phone with them. If you don’t already know the direct line is ‭+1 (916) 657-8035‬ and to bypass the lengthy wait and have them call you press 1, then 1, then 1, then 1, then 2. They’re very helpful. Have plates or VIN ready.

• Informative
Reactions: GayForEllon
Yeah, makes 0 sense.

They shouldn't start mucking w/the colors until they issue new ones from 1/1/19 forward.
Answering my own question, the arb site here: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
Says:
NOTE: Owners of vehicles issued the above Red, White, and Green HOV decals from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2018, may apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

So as ridiculous as it sounds, seems like everyone needs to re-apply next year.

After reading the DMV page, I'm not convinced that the Red sticker is meant for Teslas (ZEVs). It's for the same criteria as the Green stickers: SULEVs, PZEVs, and TZEVs (i.e. hybrids). The White sticker is still the one for 100% ZEVs.

Also, the section on CAV Decal Placement on that page draws a distinction between White decals and Red/Green decals:

Actually, how about this? There are no more white or green stickers, as the red ones cover the vehicles that previously had either white or green.

White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). These stickers were issued to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that met these requirements were typically certified full zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles) and some very clean compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.

Source: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud
i think i may have figured it out. go read that actual bill (544). it seems that the decals after 1/1/19 are going to be for a rolling 4 year period. so the reason they say the red expires 1/1/19 is because they don't have the next color picked out.
if i were a betting man, i think come late this year, existing white and green folks that got theirs after 1/1/17 are going to be told to reapply for red, and then after 1/1/19 there's going to be a new color for the 2019 to 2023 crowd and us red will expired in 2022.

or in a more costly move, they make white green and red reapply for a new color. but that seems silly.

5205.5 (5) identifies a sticker for people who apply between 1/1/17 and 1/1/19, but half of that time period has already passed. you cannot go back and create a new sticker for the 2017 crowd. might as well move them to red.

Bill Text - AB-544 Vehicles: high-occupancy vehicle lanes.

Actually, how about this? There are no more white or green stickers, as the red ones cover the vehicles that previously had either white or green.

White Clean Air Vehicle Decals are no longer being issued, but are valid until January 1, 2019 (per AB 266). These stickers were issued to an unlimited number of qualifying Federal Inherently Low Emission Vehicles (ILEVs). Cars that met these requirements were typically certified full zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles) and some very clean compressed natural gas (CNG) vehicles.

Source: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
OK, that page does seem to be very clear that the Red sticker will cover ZEV. The previous page did not specifically mention ZEV, except under the criteria for the White sticker.
Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals The California DMV is now issuing the new "Red" decal for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9. The new red decal will be valid until January 1, 2019. The following vehicles qualify for RED HOV stickers:
  • Vehicles that meet the California Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) standard
  • Vehicles that meet the California Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) standard AND the federal Inherently Low-Emission Vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard.
  • Vehicles that meet the state's Enhanced Advanced Technology Partial Zero-Emission (Enhanced AT PZEV) vehicles or Transitional Zero Emission Vehicle (TZEV) standard AND meet minimum all-electric range requirements.
  • Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) fueled vehicles certified to California's Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV)certified.

Last edited:
Reactions: MelaniainLA
when did you apply and when was your check cashed?

Car purchased on 12/18/2017
Applied right after I got the license plate and registration in mail around middle of January 2018
Check cashed last week of Feb 2018
Received white stickers in mail on 3/9/2018

Maybe the red stickers will be mailed out if your check is cashed in march or later?

I am not sure I understand the red stickers. It seems like they just combine the categories of white and green stickers together. But all the stickers (red, white, green) expire on the same day 1/1/2019. I hope it is not the case that you could only reapply for the new stickers next year if you currently have the red one....

• Disagree
Reactions: MelaniainLA
-Got car 12/21/17
-Got plates 1/13/18
-Got very excited and mailed all + Check 1/13
-Called every day and checked bank every day starting 2/20
-3/10 receive my application back in the mail because I hadn’t signed it and accidentally wrote 2017 instead of 2018!!
-3/12 mail in perfect app AGAIN, crying because I’m at the back of the line. Here’s to another 2 month wait. Ugh