Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think there would be a defense. I believe states have to recognize other states legal acts if they have similar features and are not explicitly ruled out. That's what lets you move about the country i.e. out of state plates and license. So, say if a state other than California has stickers or maybe special plates you might have a defense. It's the kind of thing which really should be tested. With so many states having their own rules, putting onerous burdens on out of state travelers is one of the major reasons for our federal protections. I'm read somewhere here that Colorado was going to require a fee and a sticker to use public charge stations; that seems like a major burden for out of state travelers.

(I replied to the wrong article, the quote should have been one of the out of state issues.)

I don't think there is any federal protection regarding HOV access. Each state has their own right and privilege to grant special benefits to subsets of the population or merchandise subsidies as they feel appropriate to their state citizens. No reason that Texas needs to honor some of the stuff we do here in CA... and the opposite is definitely true also. (think concealed weapons)

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but my check payable to the DMV cleared July 25th and still no stickers. I called the DMV Special Processing Unit (who were great) and was told the stickers were mailed out July 26th. I was also told I needed to wait 30 days after the date the original lost stickers were mailed before I could reapply for replacement stickers...

Update: To my surprise the HOV stickers arrived in the mail today. Envelope was post marked August 16th. Don't know what caused the (extended) delay, but I'm glad they're here!

Mine arrived last week too.

Sent around 7/22
Cashed 7/31
Arrived 8/16

Any pics of the stickers on that beautiful white car of yours? Our car arrive on Sept 19th and my wife and I have been "discussing" whether or not to put the stickers on. I personally dislike how they look on dark cars - no matter how low on the car they are placed. I'm anxious to see what they look like on white.

I am a little annoyed. Picked up my new personalized plates, and sent in a new HOV application form indicating I was updating my information (the plates) per Q24 on their website. According to Q24, if I am updating to a new license plate, I am to fill out the form, check the "Information Change/Update" box, provide reason in Section E (new plates), mail it in with NO fee required.

My application got rejected and sent back to me stating I need to pay the $8 fee. anyone else run into this problem?

T2.jpg

Just as a reference point, I mounted my white CA HOV stickers on the black skirt (see photo). IMHO they are reasonably unobtrusive and still 'street legal' even though they are not on the painted bumper or fenders. They are a badge of honor (..and envy as I zip down the carpool lane in rush hour).

T1.jpg

...opposite view. It's a 2 car garage encumbered by a staircase (...long story, prior owner was trying to pull a fast one on the city and planning department by taking the attic and creating additional bathrooms and finished space, so originally no staircase). So now it's a 1 Tesla garage. Level 5 drywall (smooth), 2 part epoxy painted floor, ceiling fluorescent lights, lots of 120V outlets, room for storage under the stairs (now full of car care products). Plus 2 electrical subpanels (for the house--main disconnect outside closer to the street) as well as the 4 inverters, load centers and disconnects for a 16kW PV solar system.

8:28 damage.JPG
HOV Decal.JPG
My CA HOV sticker timeline:
Aug 5 2013 took delivery (Van Nuys, CA)
Aug 15 plates arrived in the mail
Aug 15 mailed out application for clean air vehicle decals, with $8 check, CERTIFIED delivery
Sept 6 check to DMV cleared my account
Sept 7 decals arrived in the mail

I have another question about the decals. Three weeks after my delivery (on 8/28/13) of the MS, a motorcycle cop weaving lanes on the freeway, knocked into my right rear side. Damage is to the bumper (where the decal should go) and right rear quarter panel. $11K in damage. He accepted full liability. I just received my decals today (9/7/13) and decided, as the bumper has to be replaced, to not add the large decals now, but instead, to place the small decal on the rear
hatchback next to my "85" symbol. Is this a sufficient enough indicator of my legal right to be in the HOV lane? On a Pearl white model, it does not look so obtrusive!

Last edited:
I have another question about the decals. Three weeks after my delivery (on 8/28/13) of the MS, a motorcycle cop weaving lanes on the freeway, knocked into my right rear side. Damage is to the bumper (where the decal should go) and right rear quarter panel. $11K in damage. He accepted full liability. I just received my decals today (9/7/13) and decided, as the bumper has to be replaced, to not add the large decals now, but instead, to place the small decal on the rear hatchback next to my "85" symbol. Is this a sufficient enough indicator of my legal right to be in the HOV lane? On a Pearl white model, it does not look so obtrusive!

Wow, sorry to hear about the mishap... your solution seems quite reasonable. My only suggestion would have been to put it on a piece of paint armor so you could move it to the replacement bumper if desired. If you happen to be pulled over for not installing all three (unlikely), just show a copy of the accident report.

Last edited:
I agree with the posts here that suggest using a laser level or at least a bubble level... otherwise it's difficult to apply the sticker 'straight' (with respect to the ground) given the curves of the panels.
I decided to apply the sticker more centered on the rear quarter panel as opposed to down low or next to the wheel well. I like the way to turned out. YMMV.

4v6a8w.jpg

I agree with the posts here that suggest using a laser level or at least a bubble level... otherwise it's difficult to apply the sticker 'straight' (with respect to the ground) given the curves of the panels.
I decided to apply the sticker more centered on the rear quarter panel as opposed to down low or next to the wheel well. I like the way to turned out. YMMV.

View attachment 30118

Except some people feel it looks funny oriented straight with respect to the ground and looks a lot better having it follow the flow of the body.