Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is how and where I put them...

20190423_191026.jpg 20190423_191011.jpg 20190423_192449.jpg 20190423_192330.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BonnieD
Exactly where I put mine in the rear (I put a small one in front also).

PS: watching video the 2nd time it looks like you mounted them with a magnet film of some kind. How has that worked out long term?

It's good, been using them for 1 year. On during week days, off the weekends.

I'll have to figure out how to mount these ones with similar magnetic strip to the black plastic trim on an X.

.20200124_184150.jpg

Reactions: AZjohnInCA
are the stickers ever scanned by camera (automation) or are they only used by humans (cops, etc) at this point?

if its humans, I can't see how the exact position matters that much. but if its an automated scan, that will require standard locations.

they don't use automation yet, do they?

Mailed: 12/30/19
Check Cashed: 01/16/20
Stickers Arrived: 01/23/20

I installed the small stickers per paper instructions in front and back. I presume front will be necessary for cameras at some point. I put one big sticker on the right rear quarter panel and left the other one in the glovebox. CHP on the freeways are only going to see the right side 99% of the time IMHO.

I find the orange a bit less of an eyesore as we are used to seeing many cars with orange turn signal taillights.

Mailed: 12/30/19
Check Cashed: 01/16/20
Stickers Arrived: 01/23/20

I installed the small stickers per paper instructions in front and back. I presume front will be necessary for cameras at some point. I put one big sticker on the right rear quarter panel and left the other one in the glovebox. CHP on the freeways are only going to see the right side 99% of the time IMHO.

I find the orange a bit less of an eyesore as we are used to seeing many cars with orange turn signal taillights.

You most likely won't run into any issues with the sticker placement. However, realize that (technically) the stickers were not properly placed and you could be subject to an infraction due to non-compliance. If that should ever happen, I bet a traffic court judge would dismiss the ticket due to CHP anal retention. But it's still PITA.

BTW, I agree about the orange. I thought it would be butt ugly, but it's not too bad on my #teamwhite. I followed the instructions on the website (as opposed to the dated instruction sheet) and placed the two large stickers on rear quarter panes and two smaller ones on the lower front bumper. IMO it looks better (more balanced) than three on the back, one on the front.

Who's to say the web site isn't the dated one and not the sheet? This is the guverment we're talking about.

The instruction sheet is dated 1/2018. The website was very recently updated with "new" placements for the orange stickers. I'd been obsessing over placement, so I've looked at that website more than once the past few months.

I have the site bookmarked and screen shotted, so if some A/R CHP officer pulls me over and claims non compliance, I'll be able to prove him/her wrong.

I suspect the website is the most current protocol, but the DMV is massively slow in updating their instruction sheets. I guess their copy machines and printers are broken.

I accept the reasoning that the paper is dated 2018, therefore its the one that is out of date. best explanation: lazy department had paper slips already done and just used them ;)

plus, the website shows orange stickers in their guide. and the change of placement, that's new for this year.

when mine arrive, I'll follow the website. glad to NOT have to put an odd one on the rear bumper. and each sticker will be as low to the ground as possible; that's my choice and I'm, uhm, sticking to it.

mine finally arrived, today. first time, ever, having anything like this. will be nice not having to care about which lane I'm in, now. (there's one lane that is close to an exit I have to take and its the diamond lane; I always stress out about how early I'm allowed to get over, so I don't have traffic-merge problems. now, its worry free!)