Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a word of caution for those who drive around downtown Los Angeles area and drive on the Express Lane toll roads (10 freeway & 110 freeway).

CHP is out in full force this year, pulling people over with valid HOV stickers on their cars and ticketing people who do not set their Fastrak transponders to the correct number of people in the car. Meaning, the HOV decals do not exempt you from setting your transponder to 3+ (like we've been able to years prior) while driving solo on the Express Lanes in Los Angeles, as stated on their website as of May 2019. You can still drive solo in non-toll roads in CA with HOV stickers.

I was pulled over a couple of weeks ago (with a passenger in my front seat, in a row of cars while driving home) and still ticketed by the CHP officer who had nothing better to do than sit in front of the transponder sensor and pull people over who had a 3+ setting on their car. The cost... a $243 ticket. Had I put my transponder to the 2 setting, the trip would've cost me like $4 at that time from where I entered and exited the Express Lanes, so I intend to contest this ticket in court to at least reduce the fee.

Anyone here know what's the deal with personalized plates during COVID shutdown of DMV offices?

I ordered my black/legacy custom plate February 10th and still have yet to hear back, some folks have said the DMV is now mailing these plates out and telling people they can return the older serialized plates at a later time. Anyone with recent experience (after DMV office shutdown) can comment?

Anyone here know what's the deal with personalized plates during COVID shutdown of DMV offices?

I ordered my black/legacy custom plate February 10th and still have yet to hear back, some folks have said the DMV is now mailing these plates out and telling people they can return the older serialized plates at a later time. Anyone with recent experience (after DMV office shutdown) can comment?

I ordered my legacy-custom plate on Jan 10th, got a call from Santa Clara DMV this week to inform that they will mail it and asked to destroy the existing plate.

Update: Got a post card in the mail today that my personalized plates arrived at my local DMV, a sticker was placed on it asking to call them with the license plate currently on my Model 3 and also to verify my address. Since they sent me the card they have my address, but the only number provided on the post card is the toll free DMV Number. I call it and ask if they can connect me to someone from my local DMV office. They said they can't do that. Guess I'll wait it out and hope the local DMVs open up sometime in May or June.