Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this has been asked here before. I took delivery of a model 3 last week in California and I am wondering if it's okay to apply for CAV decal right away given the fact that I only have a temporary license plate and a windshield sticker. Would appreciate anyone's insight with a similar situation

I apologize if this has been asked here before. I took delivery of a model 3 last week in California and I am wondering if it's okay to apply for CAV decal right away given the fact that I only have a temporary license plate and a windshield sticker. Would appreciate anyone's insight with a similar situation
Yes you can, up thread people even applied with a made up plate number and they got stickers. Some say as long as your plate is issued before the stickers arrive, DMV will even automatically put the correct plate number in the paper you later receive.
California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers
Given people may use vanity plates and as such may change their plate number after receiving the stickers (which are valid for 4 years), the plate number probably isn't as important. The VIN is more important.

You could also just send another form with the "correct/update information" checked on the form after you receive your official plates.

Reactions: Butters
I apologize if this has already been answered, I was unable to find it. Regarding sticker placement, does anyone know which is correct: small stickers go in front and rear bumpers on the right, or the small stickers go on the left and right of the front bumper? The printed instructions I received with the stickers say the small ones go on the front bumper, left and right side, while the DMV website (under "affixing CAV decals to your vehicle" plus sign) says they go on the right side of the front and rear bumper.

Thanks!

Edit: looks like there's others who have noted this issue too:

Probably I'll just follow the printed instructions and then keep the instructions in my car with the CAV registration in case a police officer has concerns about the placement.

Attachments

• HOV.jpg
    HOV.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 4,080
Last edited:
I apologize if this has already been answered, I was unable to find it. Regarding sticker placement, does anyone know which is correct: small stickers go in front and rear bumpers on the right, or the small stickers go on the left and right of the front bumper? The printed instructions I received with the stickers say the small ones go on the front bumper, left and right side, while the DMV website (under "affixing CAV decals to your vehicle" plus sign) says they go on the right side of the front and rear bumper.

Thanks!

Edit: looks like there's others who have noted this issue too:

Probably I'll just follow the printed instructions and then keep the instructions in my car with the CAV registration in case a police officer has concerns about the placement.
Follow the printed instructions. The website written instructions may be outdated, and you will note the illustration is inconsistent (shows both in the front).

They definitely changed this so it's not like this was an inconsistency that existed all this while. Here's the old printed instructions when it was front and back:
dad589f0f54f3b75037af2b5127bf793.jpg

If you go back, actually you can see in the FAQ it used to be the white stickers (for EVs only, which expired 2019) the small sticker was rear only. Although the subsequent ones for 2018 and 2019 issue date were front and rear.
Clean Air Vehicle Decals - High Occupancy Vehicle Lane Usage
Then in 2020 they switched to front only for the small stickers. And in mid 2020 they updated the website, which used the same graphic, but had inconsistent text.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Follow the printed instructions. The website written instructions may be outdated, and you will note the illustration is inconsistent (shows both in the front).

They definitely changed this so it's not like this was an inconsistency that existed all this while. Here's the old printed instructions when it was front and back:
dad589f0f54f3b75037af2b5127bf793.jpg

If you go back, actually you can see in the FAQ it used to be the white stickers (for EVs only, which expired 2019) the small sticker was rear only. Although the subsequent ones for 2018 and 2019 issue date were front and rear.
Then in 2020 they switched to front only for the small stickers. And in mid 2020 they updated the website, which used the same graphic, but had inconsistent text.
Thanks!

Thanks for for posting this, I just received the blue 2021 CAV Decals and they didn't come with any printed instructions and I thought I was going crazy after checking the CA DMV site which states the two small decals go on the front bumper left and right and the two large decals go on the rear quarter panels left and right which is different than my 2019 Model 3 (which I no longer have for reference) and currently any CAV stickers I have seen out on the road (or CAV Decal placement posts on the various user group) so this has to be a change for 2021. I guess I'll go with the placement specified on the CA DMV site (ref. photo attached from the CA DMV web site)? This placement update does see odd as the decals may not be visible from the rear? Also, the direction of the rear decals will result in one facing forward and the other facing back?
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 6.13.31 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for for posting this, I just received the blue 2021 CAV Decals and they didn't come with any printed instructions and I thought I was going crazy after checking the CA DMV site which states the two small decals go on the front bumper left and right and the two large decals go on the rear quarter panels left and right which is different than my 2019 Model 3 (which I no longer have for reference) and currently any CAV stickers I have seen out on the road (or CAV Decal placement posts on the various user group) so this has to be a change for 2021.
Yes, as I mentioned, this was changed in 2020.
I guess I'll go with the placement specified on the CA DMV site (ref. photo attached from the CA DMV web site)?
This placement update does see odd as the decals may not be visible from the rear?
Yes, go by the picture. The text about front/rear bumpers is incorrect on the website. The small stickers only goes on the front.

Also, the direction of the rear decals will result in one facing forward and the other facing back?
Yes the shape of the large decals are not symmetrical on both sides. The most important thing is the text the right direction (not upside down) This is because they printed two decals identically. To have them be symmetrical, one side would need the shape mirrored horizontally.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbwnm
Yes, as I mentioned, this was changed in 2020.

Yes, go by the picture. The text about front/rear bumpers is incorrect on the website. The small stickers only goes on the front.

Yes the shape of the large decals are not symmetrical on both sides. The most important thing is the text the right direction (not upside down) This is because they printed two decals identically. To have them be symmetrical, one side would need the shape mirrored horizontally.
Thanks, yes, I’ll go ahead and follow the pictures. Although, it doesn’t make sense that no decal will be visable on the back bumper (when following directly behind the vehicle) which would seem to compromise enforcement.

Thanks, yes, I’ll go ahead and follow the pictures. Although, it doesn’t make sense that no decal will be visable on the back bumper (when following directly behind the vehicle) which would seem to compromise enforcement.

Yes. You would think that for law enforcement (in a patrol car evaluating a passenger car in the extreme left-hand commuter/express lane) sticker locations could be something like:
  1. somewhere on front-bumper (so CHP personnel could see the sticker in their rear-view mirror when in front of the passenger car)
  2. front-right and/or rear-right (so CHP could establish compliance when traveling to the right of the passenger car)
  3. somewhere on rear bumper (so CHP could see the sticker when in back of the passenger car)
I assume CHP has offered suggestions over the years, leading to the changes in sticker locations we've seen. They would know best, though I would say that three of the "large" stickers (Why the difference in size?) should be satisfactory (for front bumper, right-side, and rear bumper), and that no sticker need be displayed on the left side. But what do I know? (How often can CHP monitor passenger cars while presumably parked to the left of a commuter lane? It's possible on some highways, with CHP parked in special limited-access U-turn passageways intended for emergency vehicles, but probably rare.)

In actuality, does law enforcement spend much time on this issue? I would assume that most HOV lane infractions result when a driver is first driving dangerously, alerting CHP to a bigger problem, and that an HOV lane infraction is tacked on as "icing on the cake."

Yes. You would think that for law enforcement (in a patrol car evaluating a passenger car in the extreme left-hand commuter/express lane) sticker locations could be something like:
  1. somewhere on front-bumper (so CHP personnel could see the sticker in their rear-view mirror when in front of the passenger car)
  2. front-right and/or rear-right (so CHP could establish compliance when traveling to the right of the passenger car)
  3. somewhere on rear bumper (so CHP could see the sticker when in back of the passenger car)
I assume CHP has offered suggestions over the years, leading to the changes in sticker locations we've seen. They would know best, though I would say that three of the "large" stickers (Why the difference in size?) should be satisfactory (for front bumper, right-side, and rear bumper), and that no sticker need be displayed on the left side. But what do I know? (How often can CHP monitor passenger cars while presumably parked to the left of a commuter lane? It's possible on some highways, with CHP parked in special limited-access U-turn passageways intended for emergency vehicles, but probably rare.)

In actuality, does law enforcement spend much time on this issue? I would assume that most HOV lane infractions result when a driver is first driving dangerously, alerting CHP to a bigger problem, and that an HOV lane infraction is tacked on as "icing on the cake."
I'm guess the front bumper stickers need to be on both sides to ensure the cameras can read it (as the cameras may be on either side of lane or in middle).

On the rear, given the CHP can change lanes, having it on rear sides is not a big deal.

I'm guess the front bumper stickers need to be on both sides to ensure the cameras can read it (as the cameras may be on either side of lane or in middle).

On the rear, given the CHP can change lanes, having it on rear sides is not a big deal.

Are cameras used to read HOV stickers? For express carpool lane and toll boths the (electronic) CAV flex toll tag from FasTrak is required (to get clean air vehicle discounts). But I am unclear how cameras play a part in HOV sticker enforecement.

Are cameras used to read HOV stickers? For express carpool lane and toll boths the (electronic) CAV flex toll tag from FasTrak is required (to get clean air vehicle discounts). But I am unclear how cameras play a part in HOV sticker enforecement.
I'm talking mainly about carpool bridge tolls (which is what I use most often personally). You don't need a special toll tag to use them (it doesn't even say you need a toll tag at all). You just need the decals displayed, an account in good standing (which they can charge also based on your plate) and travel through the designated carpool lane. In such a case, obviously it's the camera that determines if you are eligible (same with determining number of occupants).

It is my speculation having both in the front actually gives them a better chance at catching at least one photo with the sticker clearly visible. The front back configuration they may have missed both stickers depending on how the front/rear cameras are placed relative to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: tbwnm
Welp, just ordered some magnets from Amazon, and our bumpers are plastic. They stick to the rear quarter panel. Is everyone actually putting the stickers on the car? I just got the new blue ones.

I got paint protection film and put that on the car and then the sticker on the PPF. I cut a 1/4 in extra amount around the sticker. Let’s me remove them and replace at will. Safer on the paint. You can also buy precut pieces for the carpool stickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
I got paint protection film and put that on the car and then the sticker on the PPF. I cut a 1/4 in extra amount around the sticker. Let’s me remove the and replace at will. Safer on the paint. You can also buy precut pieces for the carpool stickers.
No way to just slap them on and off? I only commute once or twice a week to work. The magnet works on the rear quarter panel so I wouldn’t mind putting them there.