Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm talking mainly about carpool bridge tolls (which is what I use most often personally). You don't need a special toll tag to use them (it doesn't even say you need a toll tag at all). You just need the decals displayed, an account in good standing (which they can charge also based on your plate) and travel through the designated carpool lane. In such a case, obviously it's the camera that determines if you are eligible (same with determining number of occupants).

It is my speculation having both in the front actually gives them a better chance at catching at least one photo with the sticker clearly visible. The front back configuration they may have missed both stickers depending on how the front/rear cameras are placed relative to the car.

I think the purpose of the cameras are for taking pictures of license plates not bumpers. That's how they know where to send the bills to people that don't have fastrak or CAV decals.
Plus the cameras can't count accurately count how many people are in the car when there are kids and/or babies in the backseats. Even more so if the car has tinted windows.

Have you crossed a bridge without a toll tag? What were you charged?

"To receive carpool discounts at toll bridges, you are required to use the designated carpool lane with a valid FasTrak toll tag. Either a FasTrak Standard, FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag will work."

Last edited:
Are cameras used to read HOV stickers? For express carpool lane and toll boths the (electronic) CAV flex toll tag from FasTrak is required (to get clean air vehicle discounts). But I am unclear how cameras play a part in HOV sticker enforecement.

Probably zero. Single drivers in ICE cars drive in the carpool lane and they don't get tickets(carpool violations) in the mail. They would get a toll bill though.

I think the purpose of the cameras are for taking pictures of license plates not bumpers. That's how they know where to send the bills to people that don't have fastrak or CAV decals.
Plus the cameras can't count accurately count how many people are in the car when there are kids and/or babies in the backseats. Even more so if the car has tinted windows.

Have you crossed a bridge without a toll tag? What were you charged?

"To receive carpool discounts at toll bridges, you are required to use the designated carpool lane with a valid FasTrak toll tag. Either a FasTrak Standard, FasTrak Flex or FasTrak CAV toll tag will work."
I haven't crossed my Tesla without a toll tag before, but I have crossed my older car without a toll tag and it's fine. They just take a picture of my plate and bill my account given I added my plate to my account. This was even before they retired all the toll collectors due to Covid (where if you didn't have the plate linked with a valid account, you may be charged a violation fee). Now with Covid every lane is valid lane even if you don't have a Fastrak account, given they don't have people collecting payment at the booths anymore.

I guess the question is more if you cross a carpool lane either without the stickers or without enough people, will you be mailed a violation notice based on the camera evidence? You seem to be saying that you won't. But I'm not about to test that (I have my stickers on anyways already).

Last edited:
Yeah PPF is less likely to be (easily) stolen. But it’s all relative.

What’s most important. Protecting the paint? Easy on and off at request? Avoiding theft?
I used PPF even though currently I'm also doing only weekly commute (may change when Covid related restrictions is over). I put the stickers on the PPF first before cutting it out with scissors. I just used left over scraps given I did DIY PPF from rolls. Personally, I would rather put it where it looks decent (I put them relatively low so they don't stick out as much) instead of taking it off and putting it on for every use, and the current Blue color goes decent with my Midnight Silver

For placement I used this location for front:
CA_HOV_stickers_close_up__44015_2048x.png

Rear was this (lined up parallel to bumper crease, as per their video, below is just a screenshot before final placement):
watch-how-to-properly-apply-hov-stickers-to-tesla-model-3.jpg

Watch How To Properly Apply HOV Stickers To Tesla Model 3

Can anyone share their recent timelines regarding receiving plates and title for their cars?

I paid cash and took delivery of a Model 3 on 9/7 and haven't received plates, registraion, or title yet.

Curious what others are experiencing.
Here's my timeline from the other thread:
Should not take this long. Did you receive the title yet (that is an indication DMV is processing it at least)? Make sure your delivery center send in the paperwork. If you can't reach someone calling the number for your delivery center, you can try to reach the general online chat support and have them help you track down if your paperwork was received and sent to DMV.
Customer Support

I took delivery in Colma. The timeline was:
12/31/2020 delivery, Colma Delivery center received my paperwork 1/4 via FedEx, title date 1/15 (post mark 1/28), got title 2/1, got plates and registration 2/11

Here's another thread discussing timelines:
California Timeline: Car Purchase, License & Registation, HOV Stickers, and FasTrak CAV Toll-Tag

You should receive title first in mail, then plates/registration shortly after. I would check with Tesla if your paperwork had been filed yet (note they are supposed to have a stack of DMV papers for you to sign which you either turn in in person to delivery, or with the FedEx envelope they give you). There are plenty of cases where paperwork didn't end up getting filed for whatever reason and people end up waiting well past the expiration of the temp plates.

Reactions: SPACE_EX