Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the EV allow you to ride in the Fastrak lanes as a single occupant for free? This regarding California.
You're not very specific, but I think this is relevant to your question. It specifically relates to the Metro Express lanes on the 110 and 10 freeways.

Metro Facebook Page said:
MORE DETAILS FOR WHITE AND GREEN STICKER TOLL-FREE Travel beginning Feb. 24: To obtain your toll-free trip, set your transponder to switch position 3 (3+ person carpool) prior to starting your trip. Reminder that only vehicles with a DMV issued White or Green Clean Air Vehicle Decal will be toll-free. All vehicles, including Clean Air Vehicles are required to have a FasTrak® transponder while travelling on the ExpressLanes. http://ow.ly/tHz7s
Details on the Clean Air Vehicle Program via DMV is here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm

Mine are still safely tucked away in my Glove Compartment. In my area Teslas are common and everyone with a brain knows they are all electric. I would think Cops would be even more aware. I'm banking on the fact that cops have better things to do than pull over an all electric vehicle simply due to a technicality. Most cops are cool, but it's definitely a risk. If I get caught, I'll take it from there. ;)

You are playing with fire, scarecrow! We are talking fines of $381 and up for HOV violations. I don't think cops will give you a pass on it that easily.

I wear the badges proudly :) They've saved me countless hours of my life and enormous stress commuting up and down 101 from Redwood Shores to Palo Alto during peak commute hours. The eyesore aspect of it is nothing in comparison.

+1 to gg. Also consider the number of people NOT in the HOV lane who may not recognize that you are driving an electric vehicle (I still get questions about my car daily). To them, you're just someone jumping the HOV lane (and possibly encouraging others to do the same). With the HOV badge, they see not only why you're there, but hopefully think, 'I'm going to look at an EV for my next car'.

That's a bonus for all of us.

You are playing with fire, scarecrow! We are talking fines of $381 and up for HOV violations. I don't think cops will give you a pass on it that easily.

I wear the badges proudly :) They've saved me countless hours of my life and enormous stress commuting up and down 101 from Redwood Shores to Palo Alto during peak commute hours. The eyesore aspect of it is nothing in comparison.

As I said, if I get caught I will re-evaluate. As to Bonnie's point about what other people may think… I have seen plenty of Prius and other EVs in the HOV lane without stickers and I just assume they must have a kid in the car that I can't see. I am banking that Cops would think the same about me. In fact, I DO have a kid in the car on the way TO gymnastics, I'm only alone on the way BACK. Pulling someone over on the Freeway is extremely dangerous. Cop cars get rear ended all the time.

I just don't think Cops would risk pulling someone over if they are driving an EV in the HOV lane. Especially when they could very well have a child in the car. I think they have better things to do, and. it's a lot of risk over a technicality. I'm rolling the Dice. If I get caught it'll cost me $380.00 and that's fine with me. I can afford it. For my limited needs, it's worth it to me not to have to mar the beautiful finish on my baby and knowing me I'd never get them on there straight and it would drive me crazy. ;)

Last edited:
My timeline:

12/21/2013: Delivery
12/22/2013: Online Application for Rebate Submitted
12/27/2013: Physical Application for Rebate Received by CSE
01/08/2014: License Plates Received
01/09/2014: Rebate Documents Approved
01/10/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Application Mailed
02/01/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Received
02/03/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Application Fee Check cashed

02/27/2014: Rebate Check Mailed
03/01/2014: Rebate Check Received

My timeline:

12/21/2013: Delivery
12/22/2013: Online Application for Rebate Submitted
12/27/2013: Physical Application for Rebate Received by CSE
01/08/2014: License Plates Received
01/09/2014: Rebate Documents Approved
01/10/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Application Mailed
02/01/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Received
02/03/2014: HOV Access OK Stickers Application Fee Check cashed

02/27/2014: Rebate Check Mailed
03/01/2014: Rebate Check Received

That's helpful, thanks!

HOV1.jpg
HOV2.jpg
HOV3.jpg

I have been driving in the Carpool Lane pretty regularly with my Stickers in place in the windows like this for about 2 months.

Last weekend, "Officer Poncherello" pulled up behind me, then alongside, and gave me a long glare...

I gave him a quick thumbs up, a big Tesla grin, and he went along his merry way.

Whew!

Drove next to a White P85 today Southbound 405 11:30am that was in the carpool lane, no front plate, no visible passengers, no stickers. Motorcycle patrol rode right past, no concern.

Brett, today I drove the 405 and recalled this post. I did not jump in the HOV lane. Ordered stickers this week.

Are you saying that Brett's post influenced you to get stickers? I would think it would do the opposite... :confused:

California clean air decals arrival time

It only took 22 days to get my California clean air decals. Here is my timeline:

3/18/2014: Tesla delivery
4/04/2014: License plates received
4/04/2014: Application for California clean air decals mailed
4/26/2014: California clean air decals arrive

I don't think it is possible to apply for stickers when you don't have license plates. I believe they match your application with registration records.

That used to be the case, but something changed recently. It seems you can get the stickers when you buy the car and update when you plates arrive. A friend at work got a Volt a few weeks ago (as an interim car until the Gen 3 is available) , and I asked him how he got stickers before his plates.

It seems silly to tie the stickers to the plates anyway. They should be tied to the VIN.

With white sticker cars, the "dealership" can apply for the sticker in bulk for its customers using the VIN and then charge the customer the $8 when they sell the car.

The green sticker cars were eligible under this program until it got close to exhaustion (the 40,000 limit). To preserve the green stickers to folks that already have a car, the purchaser needs to apply with a license plate assigned to him/her.

Ah I see. Now that you guys point this out, I do recall seeing a car on I880 with the white stickers and no license plates (dealer advert plates).

This is still a little confusing to me though. Because in the original system, the stickers had to be corroborated with registration document that included the unique number of the sticker, the license plate number, and of course the VIN.

After reading through this post, I'm thinking the best placement of the HOV stickers might be the lowest possible on the plastic (ie., like pics below). Since I don't use the HOV lanes that often, I'm considering just placing one sticker on the rear right bumper and not putting them on the side quarter panels, and just risking getting pulled over. Anybody tried just one sticker on lowest part of the rear bumper?