Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk about the DMV being fast for a change. I purposely mailed in my app & check on 12/8, thinking they might get to it in about 3-4 months. When I mailed in my app & check for my Model 3 back in Dec 2020, my check wasn't cashed until April 2021.

This time, DMV received my application & check on 12/10, and ended up processing it and cashing my check on 12/22. That's less than 2 weeks, which I haven't seen since I applied for my green & red decals years ago for other cars. When I saw this, I was actually upset and stressing that they may have squeezed me into the last of the blue decals. Instead, I received the new yellow decals in the mail last Wednesday (1/5), so they must've mailed them out on the first Monday after the new year. Even the 'date issued' shows Jan 1 on the certificate. I was out of town until today so I didn't know what color I received until tonight, but I saw on my USPS Informed Delivery status that they showed up in my mailbox this past Wed.

I haven't seen anyone post any pics yet but the first thing I noticed is that the decals are now facing the OPPOSITE direction. It's probably to stand out from the old original yellow decals from back in 2008. A bit weird looking, and not the color of choice (I was actually hoping for white again), but at least the yellow won't stand out as much on my white MYP like the blue decal would have. Plus, they're good until the sunset date of Sept 2025.

Last-HOV-Decal.jpg
The small decal placement location changed too. Used to be 1 on front bumper and 1 on rear bumper. Now both should be placed on the front bumper.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Anyone know what happens when license plate sequence in California hits 8ZZZ999? Wikipedia says we were at 8ZZD around Jan 10th so we must be close to the end of 8 series. Is 9 series next? Won’t that look similar to a truck license plate?
No, trucks use the commercial motor vehicles series which is like 9A12345. Therefore, it doesn't conflict with 9ABC123.

• Informative
Reactions: leaftoy
These yellow stickers are fugly, even on my white car, which is probably the least gruesome combination. I wonder if they can be toned-down a bit by overlaying a tint or something, Like, just a bit faded from their overly bright color. I am not really worried about CHP, as what really matters, if pulled over, is the registration and expiration date, especially if I can keep them somewhat yellow still. I don't think what I am suggesting is even possible, but their are lots of clever folk here.

These yellow stickers are fugly, even on my white car, which is probably the least gruesome combination. I wonder if they can be toned-down a bit by overlaying a tint or something, Like, just a bit faded from their overly bright color. I am not really worried about CHP, as what really matters, if pulled over, is the registration and expiration date, especially if I can keep them somewhat yellow still. I don't think what I am suggesting is even possible, but their are lots of clever folk here.
I remember making a similar comment on this forum a few minutes after I heard the new tags were yellow.

I'll be putting ONE of the small stickers on my rear bumper and tinting it for sure.

I remember making a similar comment on this forum a few minutes after I heard the new tags were yellow.

I'll be putting ONE of the small stickers on my rear bumper and tinting it for sure.
Great to hear I am not alone. I have no intention of following the specific requirement of sticker placement, and have not on my prior 3 cars. I think a CHP would have to be having a pretty bad day to ding you for that. I put one on the right rear bumper, and on the right rear fender, as low and discrete as possible.

What color tint may adequately dim this sticker, while keeping it somewhat yellow?

Can't help you on the tint colors, but at least you have white, so it doesn't stand out as much. On other colors it'll look a lot worse.

Can't speak for the Bay Area. Here in L.A., we have several "express lanes" that require a Fastrak. Basically, any road that has a toll needs the Fastrak. The sticker is good for only the regular HOV lanes
That's why I avoid those lanes. I was down in So Cal in late Jan 2022 and mid-Dec 2021. I avoid those lanes up here in Nor Cal (https://mtc.ca.gov/operations/traveler-services/bay-area-express-lanes) but I rarely drive on any highways/sections of them that have them anyhow.

Almost never do I even have my Fastrak pass on me. I used it once in 2021 and the previous time was between 2007 and 2009.

Great to hear I am not alone. I have no intention of following the specific requirement of sticker placement, and have not on my prior 3 cars. I think a CHP would have to be having a pretty bad day to ding you for that. I put one on the right rear bumper, and on the right rear fender, as low and discrete as possible.

What color tint may adequately dim this sticker, while keeping it somewhat yellow?
If you want to make the decals more discrete, try mounting them on the flat black bumper trim below the painted surfaces. ;)
I would not recommend tint.

Can't help you on the tint colors, but at least you have white, so it doesn't stand out as much. On other colors it'll look a lot worse.

Pretty much this. On a white Model Y, the yellow sticker doesn't stand out as much as it would on a darker color car. I posted a pic of my car on the previous page of how it looks in the lower rear bumper corner (just 1 of the smaller stickers only), and I think it kind of flows with the legacy license plate. If I put a piece of tint over the sticker, it's going to make it look darker and make it stand out more on a white car. Unless you have a darker color car, I wouldn't consider doing this.

In fact if you have a white car, you can try the opposite effect on the sticker and blast it with a high power UV light to help fade it a bit, so the yellow color isn't as bright looking 😁

Reactions: FlatSix911
My brother in-law submitted his paperwork back in mid-October and his check was cashed around mid-November (he's very anti-automotive and didn't think or ask me about when to submit the paperwork, and just went ahead and did it as soon as he got his plates).

He never received the sticker as it may have gotten lost in the mail. He has to resubmit his app and another $22 in mid-Jan and he just got his stickers this weekend on 2/12.... BLUE stickers. He was pissed that they weren't yellow like mine, but then that was his own fault for it. But that least tells me that they're still making, or have a stock of blue stickers laying around to be used as replacements.

My brother in-law submitted his paperwork back in mid-October and his check was cashed around mid-November (he's very anti-automotive and didn't think or ask me about when to submit the paperwork, and just went ahead and did it as soon as he got his plates).

He never received the sticker as it may have gotten lost in the mail. He has to resubmit his app and another $22 in mid-Jan and he just got his stickers this weekend on 2/12.... BLUE stickers. He was pissed that they weren't yellow like mine, but then that was his own fault for it. But that least tells me that they're still making, or have a stock of blue stickers laying around to be used as replacements.
Interesting. So goes the theory of submitting the paperwork after Jan 1. Perhaps the date is actually 12/1 or something.
Anyway, I mailed my check on 1/12 and it still has not cleared my bank

Interesting. So goes the theory of submitting the paperwork after Jan 1. Perhaps the date is actually 12/1 or something.
Anyway, I mailed my check on 1/12 and it still has not cleared my bank

You're fine and will get the new yellow sticker. I submitted my paperwork on 12/10 and my check was cashed on 12/23. I thought I would have to get the blue stickers but sure enough they post-dated my HOV certificate to Jan 1, and I received the yellow stickers on 1/5.

My bro-in-law submitted his paperwork back in Oct 2021 and his check was cashed in Nov 2021. He asked me in Jan when I got my stickers and I told him my timeline, so he resubmitted for replacement decals and got the blue ones since he was already approved by the DMV in Nov 2021.

You're fine and will get the new yellow sticker. I submitted my paperwork on 12/10 and my check was cashed on 12/23. I thought I would have to get the blue stickers but sure enough they post-dated my HOV certificate to Jan 1, and I received the yellow stickers on 1/5.

My bro-in-law submitted his paperwork back in Oct 2021 and his check was cashed in Nov 2021. He asked me in Jan when I got my stickers and I told him my timeline, so he resubmitted for replacement decals and got the blue ones since he was already approved by the DMV in Nov 2021.
Yes, I am confident of getting the fugly yellow stickers. I'm more concerned that it has been over a month, and they still have not cashed my check.