Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know what happens when license plate sequence in California hits 8ZZZ999? Wikipedia says we were at 8ZZD around Jan 10th so we must be close to the end of 8 series. Is 9 series next? Won’t that look similar to a truck license plate?
I didn't get to find out if we move to 9 series next since I got an 8Z series one in mail. Looks like just like the VIN, this isn't quite sequential and depends on which DMV processor Tesla uses and what they have on hand.

If you want to dumb down that brilliant yellow, you can get the tinted PPF here (2 layers - top & bottom, where bottom is protective only and top is tinted):

If you want to dumb down that brilliant yellow, you can get the tinted PPF here (2 layers - top & bottom, where bottom is protective only and top is tinted):
Thank you! If anyone could do it, it was you. I should have reached out to you from the get go.

• Love
Reactions: iyordanov
Thank you! If anyone could do it, it was you. I should have reached out to you from the get go.
Thank you 😊 Just FYI - I haven’t been able to actually test this as I don’t have the stickers. It should work but in case it doesn’t I will of course issue a full refund. Also if anyone is in the east Bay Area (NorCal), and have the stickers and willing to meet so we can test them - please DM me. Stickers on me 😃

I’m sure my questions have been answered somewhere in the 1264 replies to this thread, but I paged back a few years worth and couldn’t find it. So here it goes…

My September Y order looks like it will arrive in March. I understand that Tesla takes care of the vehicle registration, and plates will be mailed. I would like to apply for the black legacy plates, and possibly a customized vanity plate. Can I do this through Tesla? If not, do I need to wait for the traditional California plates to arrive before submitting an application for the legacy plates? Just trying to figure out the most efficient process.

I’m sure my questions have been answered somewhere in the 1264 replies to this thread, but I paged back a few years worth and couldn’t find it. So here it goes…

My September Y order looks like it will arrive in March. I understand that Tesla takes care of the vehicle registration, and plates will be mailed. I would like to apply for the black legacy plates, and possibly a customized vanity plate. Can I do this through Tesla? If not, do I need to wait for the traditional California plates to arrive before submitting an application for the legacy plates? Just trying to figure out the most efficient process.
Yes, you have to wait for the traditional plates arrive before you can order your custom plate. You will also have to wait for your custom plates before you can apply for the HOV (as they match both the VIN and plate). Well, at least I think you do. You probably could just submit the HOV application once you get your standard plates, then switch it out. As long as the VIN is correct, it should not matter.
Tesla will not do anything in this regard, but AAA will. Much easier than the DMV

Reactions: pepperoni
Yes, you have to wait for the traditional plates arrive before you can order your custom plate. You will also have to wait for your custom plates before you can apply for the HOV (as they match both the VIN and plate). Well, at least I think you do. You probably could just submit the HOV application once you get your standard plates, then switch it out. As long as the VIN is correct, it should not matter.
Tesla will not do anything in this regard, but AAA will. Much easier than the DMV
Thank you. I will wait then for the traditional plates. Seems a waste, but then again it is the DMV. As for the HOV stickers, I’m tempted to just apply as soon as I receive my first set of plates. I’ve heard that the wait time for vanity plates can be long.

Not so true. In CA custom plates take 6-9 months. You can apply and get HOV decals while you are waiting for your custom plates.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I believe I was able to start the HOV process with the temporary plates on my 2020 M3. The stickers just have number on them so it is just a matter of them changing the plate in the system. I have not done that on my new 2022 MY since I never used the other ones in almost 2 years.

Regarding license plate series, should see 9A plates soon. I am waiting for plates from my 1/20/22 delivery so maybe I'll be one of the first when they do show up.

I believe I was able to start the HOV process with the temporary plates on my 2020 M3. The stickers just have number on them so it is just a matter of them changing the plate in the system. I have not done that on my new 2022 MY since I never used the other ones in almost 2 years.

Regarding license plate series, should see 9A plates soon. I am waiting for plates from my 1/20/22 delivery so maybe I'll be one of the first when they do show up.
Plates from my 1/18 delivery showed up a week ago and were still 8Z. But there have been some 9A sighting in the wild so it just depends on when Tesla’s DMV processor runs out of their 8Z stock.

54FD607F-F5BE-40F2-8C9D-6C83FE00EBCA.jpeg

Plates from my 1/18 delivery showed up a week ago and were still 8Z. But there has been some 9A sighting in the wild so it just depends on when Tesla’s DMV processor runs out of their 8Z stock.
I wonder if the individual Delivery Centers do submittals of the finalized paperwork once you sign off on the vehicle. Seems like if you got your plates before 2/23 then I should have received mine yesterday (or before) with being 2 days later delivery. But the timeliness of the DC submittingn the paperwork would have a role. How far into the 8Z are you? Multiple Zs?

I wonder if the individual Delivery Centers do submittals of the finalized paperwork once you sign off on the vehicle. Seems like if you got your plates before 2/23 then I should have received mine yesterday (or before) with being 2 days later delivery. But the timeliness of the DC submittingn the paperwork would have a role. How far into the 8Z are you? Multiple Zs?
8ZS. Received 2/17. Sent the paperwork back to delivery center same day as delivery.

The passenger seat had an UPS envelope with couple of forms to sign, and instructions that said to send it right away to reach within 24 hours after delivery to avoid any delays in registration processing. Mailing address was I believe the delivery center. (This was home delivery).
Ah, I picked up at Delivery Center and did everything through the app. There was no packet for me to sign and mail. And no signing anything at the DC. Were you finance or cash? Mine was financed through Tesla Finance (no outside lender) so the vehicle was owned by them so maybe no need to send any paperwork off to outside lender?

Ah, I picked up at Delivery Center and did everything through the app. There was no packet for me to sign and mail. And no signing anything at the DC. Were you finance or cash? Mine was financed through Tesla Finance (no outside lender) so the vehicle was owned by them so maybe no need to send any paperwork off to outside lender?
Cash. And no trade-in.

The two paper forms were "Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form" and "Application for Registration of New Vehicle (DMV Copy + Dealer Copy)".

Last edited: