Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you have to wait for the traditional plates arrive before you can order your custom plate. You will also have to wait for your custom plates before you can apply for the HOV (as they match both the VIN and plate). Well, at least I think you do. You probably could just submit the HOV application once you get your standard plates, then switch it out. As long as the VIN is correct, it should not matter.
Tesla will not do anything in this regard, but AAA will. Much easier than the DMV
I talked to my SA over the weekend, and he told me that once Tesla submits my registration, he could find out my plate number even before my plates get printed and sent. He offered to find out the number, which I could use to submit a custom plate application even before I received my plates in the mail. He said he’s done this for other customers and it has helped to get a head start on the process. Anyway, thought this was interesting enough to pass along.

Reactions: Wingstoplol
I talked to my SA over the weekend, and he told me that once Tesla submits my registration, he could find out my plate number even before my plates get printed and sent. He offered to find out the number, which I could use to submit a custom plate application even before I received my plates in the mail. He said he’s done this for other customers and it has helped to get a head start on the process. Anyway, thought this was interesting enough to pass along.
This is what sales persons have done for each of my previous EVs to get a head start on the hov sticker app. Didn’t think of asking my SA since I didn’t think they would help. Good to know they can.

About custom plates, if we apply for hov stickers with originally issued serial number plate do we need to do anything when the custom plates arrive?

Reactions: Wingstoplol
Ah, I picked up at Delivery Center and did everything through the app. There was no packet for me to sign and mail. And no signing anything at the DC. Were you finance or cash? Mine was financed through Tesla Finance (no outside lender) so the vehicle was owned by them so maybe no need to send any paperwork off to outside lender?
I did too (Tesla financing) but the DMV confirmed they sent a request to Tesla for additional documentation in early January. This is on my 12/29/2021 delivery. Still no plates. Supposedly all sent in last week, yet I still have to deal with DMV processing time.

I did too (Tesla financing) but the DMV confirmed they sent a request to Tesla for additional documentation in early January. This is on my 12/29/2021 delivery. Still no plates. Supposedly all sent in last week, yet I still have to deal with DMV processing time.
So you called the DMV to find out the status? Seems like that is my next step. I have custom plates sitting in my trunk but I can't assign them until I have the random plates to trade in. So stupid.

Reactions: OCJeff
So, it seems they streamlined the process for personalized plates. They no longer assign you random plates that you have to turn back in. They did this for my March 2020 M3 (maybe because it was early in the shutdown). Nice lady on the phone informed me that my paperwork (registration and stickers for my custom plates) was mailed out 2/10 and they are allowing USPS 30 days to deliver items before you can set up an appointment to take care of the paperwork at the DMV. Going on 19 days since they were sent out...

are these really still necessary? I see tons of electric cars without them in the carpool lanes. most Teslas i see in my neighborhood don't have them on. Has anyone gotten a ticket in the carpool lane without them?
thanks
I cross bridges regularly where my car's picture is taken regularly as part of the toll process. Although currently it doesn't appear to be used for catching carpool violators, the government is certainly exploring using camera tech to do that:

Plus toll areas tends to have higher enforcement (easy for a cop to hide and drive out to issue a ticket). I'm not about to risk a $500 ticket for this. YMMV heavily depending on where you drive regularly.

Reactions: FlatSix911
So, it seems they streamlined the process for personalized plates. They no longer assign you random plates that you have to turn back in. They did this for my March 2020 M3 (maybe because it was early in the shutdown). Nice lady on the phone informed me that my paperwork (registration and stickers for my custom plates) was mailed out 2/10 and they are allowing USPS 30 days to deliver items before you can set up an appointment to take care of the paperwork at the DMV. Going on 19 days since they were sent out...
SO of course I check my mail today and there is something from VITU (100% electronic DMV processing which allows Tesla to do everything through the app) with REGISTRATION MATERIALS ENCLOSED on the front. I guess by the DMV "sending them out" they sent the instructions to a 3rd party processor who mailed me my registration form and stickers. It was marked 2/21 so took them over a week from when DMV sent them instructions and then another week to reach me.

If you do all of the signing at delivery through the app with no paper forms to mail in, look for something from VITU vs the DMV.

.If you do all of the signing at delivery through the app with no paper forms to mail in, look for something from VITU vs the DMV.

Not always. My first MY was delivered (zero paperwork, all online (web/app)) with zero contact in Sept. 2021. Received plates 4 weeks later.

2022 MY delivered 12/29 (same, 100% e-signature). No plates just Tesla & dmv pointing fingers at each other. 9 weeks in.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not always. My first MY was delivered (zero paperwork, all online (web/app)) with zero contact in Sept. 2021. Received plates 4 weeks later.

2022 MY delivered 12/29 (same, 100% e-signature). No plates just Tesla & dmv pointing fingers at each other. 9 weeks in.
Not sure if it got left off or didn't follow from earlier posts but I have custom plates (since 2016 and 3 cars prior). In 2020 DMV mailed standard plates and I had to turn those in (except I couldn't because all DMV offices were closed) to put my custom plates on the new car. Fast forward to 2022, they have bypassed the mailing out standard plates and allow you to assign custom plates from the start.

Not sure if it got left off or didn't follow from earlier posts but I have custom plates (since 2016 and 3 cars prior). In 2020 DMV mailed standard plates and I had to turn those in (except I couldn't because all DMV offices were closed) to put my custom plates on the new car. Fast forward to 2022, they have bypassed the mailing out standard plates and allow you to assign custom plates from the start.

Moved my custom plates between three Tesla's in the last three years. All were issued psyical plates first - no paper plate. I was never asked to turn any of them in. I still have them all here next to me.

Moved my custom plates between three Tesla's in the last three years. All were issued psyical plates first - no paper plate. I was never asked to turn any of them in. I still have them all here next to me.
Weird. For the March 2020 pickup, I got the paper plates at pickup, then 3-4 weeks later received the random assigned white metal plates and I needed those before I could assign my custom plates. I couldn't physically turn them in because all offices were closed but they said once offices opened up I needed to turn them in. Same for when I originally ordered custom plates. THey shipped ot DMV and I had to turn in old plates to get the custom ones. I went back and forth with DMV and they wouldn't let me assign them to the new car without having metal plates first. Something about needing that license plate number on the form to switch to custom plates. Wondering now if maybe Tesla messed something up on that.

Now it is streamlined, you get the paper plate at delivery and they send you stickers for your custom plate within 3-4 weeks and you put your custom plates on. No DMV trips needed.

Haven't gone through all 65 pages of this thread, but thought this may help someone...

Wanted to order a personalized plate for my new Model Y. DMV wouldn't allow me to order a personalized plate without providing the permanent license number...

Went to AAA, and they were able to look up my permanent license # (hadn't received it yet, three weeks after taking deliver) and also assisted me in applying for my new plate!

Very convenient.

Now I get to wait between 6-9 months!

Personal plate ordered for my Model Y: I8A MDL3

Haven't gone through all 65 pages of this thread, but thought this may help someone...

Wanted to order a personalized plate for my new Model Y. DMV wouldn't allow me to order a personalized plate without providing the permanent license number...

Went to AAA, and they were able to look up my permanent license # (hadn't received it yet, three weeks after taking deliver) and also assisted me in applying for my new plate!

Very convenient.

Now I get to wait between 6-9 months!

Personal plate ordered for my Model Y: I8A MDL3
As long as you can go to AAA, go to AAA.

I went to the DMV to transfer my plates from my 2016 MS to my 2018, and the lady there did everything in her power to make my day miserable. On purpose. She accused me of having the wrong forms. When I showed her the forms were correct, she became visibly disappointed. Then, she tried to turn me away by telling me that I could not transfer personalized plates to a lease vehicle unless my name was on the registration. My name was on the registration. She became visibly furious. Why?? There was a 3rd thing too that she tried to ruin it for me that I can't remember right now, and I had that taken care of too. She basically was motivated to screw me over, in spite of me walking in with a smile on my face and showing her the utmost respect. This person could never, ever, hold a job in the private sector. I would have fired her in the first 5 minutes, if that.

I transferred my plates from my 2018 to my 2022, and at AAA, it took me all of 5 minutes, and everyone was pleasant and happy to help. Shy live life any other way?

Last edited:
So you called the DMV to find out the status? Seems like that is my next step. I have custom plates sitting in my trunk but I can't assign them until I have the random plates to trade in. So stupid.
FWIW I called the DMV and they confirmed I should receive my plates by the end of the month (so Tesla did submit or corrected the filing error). They confirmed my plate was assigned and they just needed to complete the processing. I asked for the plate number (9AAUxxx) and have re-submit the HOV decal application (2nd time due to Tesla Delay).