Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. I've seen a lot of the 1960 Classic plate (Yellow on Black/ Brown) that have this configurations X999Y9. Where it starts with a letter, then 3 numbers, a letter, and then ends with one number. Normally plates are 9XXX999. Where it's sequential (all plates in a given period of time starting with the same first number). Are these custom vanity plates, if so, what is the meaning of this combination? If not, how are some people getting this combination?

Quick question. I've seen a lot of the 1960 Classic plate (Yellow on Black/ Brown) that have this configurations X999Y9. Where it starts with a letter, then 3 numbers, a letter, and then ends with one number. Normally plates are 9XXX999. Where it's sequential (all plates in a given period of time starting with the same first number). Are these custom vanity plates, if so, what is the meaning of this combination? If not, how are some people getting this combination?
It’s for those that wanted the 60’s look, but didn’t request a custom plate. So they are sequenced differently than the main line of plates. They still cost extra annually about $40.

It is the "California 1960s Legacy" option listed here:

Note that the original yellow on black plates used in 1963-1969 used a sequential pattern of ABC123, rather than A123B4 like the current "California 1960s Legacy" plates use.

Anyone know what happens when license plate sequence in California hits 8ZZZ999? Wikipedia says we were at 8ZZD around Jan 10th so we must be close to the end of 8 series. Is 9 series next? Won’t that look similar to a truck license plate?
I have seen a sequential car plate starting with 9 (similar to 9ABC123, though not that exact plate number).

Once past 9ZZZ999, some new sequence, probably something like 123ABC1, will be needed. Pickup / commercial plates used to have a sequential pattern like 1A12345, but after 8Z99999, they reversed to have a sequential pattern like 12345A1. Supposedly, commercial plates starting with 9 (like 9A12345) are reserved for truck tractors (the tractor of a tractor-trailer).

Reactions: leaftoy
It is the "California 1960s Legacy" option listed here:

Note that the original yellow on black plates used in 1963-1969 used a sequential pattern of ABC123, rather than A123B4 like the current "California 1960s Legacy" plates use.
1647665504921.png

For those who don't want to spend that extra money on a legacy plate, you can always wrap it if you like your current number sequence. Search for 5150WRAPS_LA on Instagram. I have no affiliation with this place, but saw it awhile back and may use them for another one of my cars. I originally thought about having them put reflective white lettering on my legacy plate, but after getting the latest yellow HOV decal I decided to leave the legacy plate alone since it kind of contrasts the decal now.

Sure this option maybe for 'off road use' but you're still using reflective vinyl so it will light up at night like your original plate, and sticking with an oem look won't draw any extra attention to you. YMMV if you decide to go this route, but it's at least another option if you don't want to order (and pay annually for) a legacy plate.

For those who don't want to spend that extra money on a legacy plate, you can always wrap it if you like your current number sequence. Search for 5150WRAPS_LA on Instagram. I have no affiliation with this place, but saw it awhile back and may use them for another one of my cars. I originally thought about having them put reflective white lettering on my legacy plate, but after getting the latest yellow HOV decal I decided to leave the legacy plate alone since it kind of contrasts the decal now.

Sure this option maybe for 'off road use' but you're still using reflective vinyl so it will light up at night like your original plate, and sticking with an oem look won't draw any extra attention to you. YMMV if you decide to go this route, but it's at least another option if you don't want to order (and pay annually for) a legacy plate.
It's illegal to modify the CA license plate (yes "off-road use only" as you say). So just be aware.

You can also buy black/white plates on Amazon for "off-road use" although I've seen them on cars on the road anyways.

As a side note, my 2nd MY had it's HOV check cashed (this is after the form was returned to me due to Tesla's inability for properly complete DMV forms on time). I think I mailed it in about 3 weeks ago. I expect decals to arrive next week.

I received a rebate when I purchased my Tesla. I was eligible to also apply for the HOV stickers back then but now no longer do. Does the joint income requirement apply to the year I purchased my Tesla or the year I apply for HOV stickers?

I received a rebate when I purchased my Tesla. I was eligible to also apply for the HOV stickers back then but now no longer do. Does the joint income requirement apply to the year I purchased my Tesla or the year I apply for HOV stickers?
Yes you can apply for HOV. If you also want the CVRP rebate then it applies to your last years tax filing (2020 or 2021 if filed already). Not this year (2022). The year the car was purchased doesn’t matter.

Yes you can apply for HOV. If you also want the CVRP rebate then it applies to your last years tax filing (2020 or 2021 if filed already). Not this year (2022). The year the car was purchased doesn’t matter.
Thanks for the response. I already received the CVRP rebate the year I purchased my Tesla. So I can apply for HOV even if my last tax filing is over the income limit?

Thanks for the response. I already received the CVRP rebate the year I purchased my Tesla. So I can apply for HOV even if my last tax filing is over the income limit?
Eligibility & Requirements | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project says that for battery electric vehicles, you can get both CVRP and stickers if your income is below the limit. If your income is above the limit, you can only get stickers.

For fuel cell vehicles, someone above the income limit can choose between CVRP or stickers, but not both.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Eligibility & Requirements | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project says that for battery electric vehicles, you can get both CVRP and stickers if your income is below the limit. If your income is above the limit, you can only get stickers.

For fuel cell vehicles, someone above the income limit can choose between CVRP or stickers, but not both.

Not tax advice.

@treethreetee - Interesting.... I just noticed that they did update the "high income" limitations, and reduced the threshold to $200K per household. And as @3sr+buyer mentioned, if you exceed this you can ONLY apply for the HOV decals.

The interesting part is that the CA DMV form still holds the higher income limit ($300K) as the barrier.

So in short, if you have already received your CVRP rebate, and then you apply for the CAV decals (even if your income is OVER the limit) then I don't see why they wouldn't approve the HOV decals (since the decals are approved for ALL income levels). Only the CVRP is limited based in income levels, and you have already received that.

• Informative
I got some magnetic sheets with adhesive (just search for it). These sheets have adhesive on one end and will temporarily stick to a metal surface (like the trunk of a car). I cut the sheet to the shape of a carpool sticker and attached the sticker to the sheet with the adhesive, then when I use the stickers, I put them on the back of the trunk. They don't stick to the front bumper but I'm not too concerned about that. The important thing is, I can mount the stickers temporarily and remove them when they're not in use so I won't get an unsightly faded area underneath where the sticker was when it expires and it's time to remove it.

I got some magnetic sheets with adhesive (just search for it). These sheets have adhesive on one end and will temporarily stick to a metal surface (like the trunk of a car). I cut the sheet to the shape of a carpool sticker and attached the sticker to the sheet with the adhesive, then when I use the stickers, I put them on the back of the trunk. They don't stick to the front bumper but I'm not too concerned about that. The important thing is, I can mount the stickers temporarily and remove them when they're not in use so I won't get an unsightly faded area underneath where the sticker was when it expires and it's time to remove it.
Good to hear. I can search for this, but would rather have a link if you can provide one.

Good to hear. I can search for this, but would rather have a link if you can provide one.
I got the Master Magnetics B005HY990G. But that was actually when I got my PHEV (several years back) and I used the same stuff with my Model 3 when I got the stickers for it. I don't think it really matters which brand you get though, they're probably all pretty much the same. Disadvantage of this one is that it comes rolled up, and you have to unroll it. Would have been nice to buy one that's already flat.

Just a quick note that I received the tint stickers from @iyordanov and they *really* help dampen the damn yellow stickers for 2022. They work great.

Here's a couple photos. The natural yellow tint is about the yellow of the text on the license plates. It's hideous.

View attachment 790381View attachment 790382
That does not look like the correct place for the current stickers.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV says that the big ones go on the rear sides, while the small ones go on the front bumper.

large_decal.png

cav_decal_placement_front.png

• Funny