Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That does not look like the correct place for the current stickers.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV says that the big ones go on the rear sides, while the small ones go on the front bumper.

large_decal.png

cav_decal_placement_front.png
I have always just put the big one in the back, and the smaller one on the right rear fender. Both as low as possible. I will never put these monstrosities on the front.
I don't think I have heard of anyone who was fined for not having the stickers in the correct place. Cops have far better things to do than pull someone over for this. I think as long as they see that you have a sticker, they will leave you alone.

That does not look like the correct place for the current stickers.

Clean Air Vehicle Decals for Using Carpool and HOV Lanes - California DMV says that the big ones go on the rear sides, while the small ones go on the front bumper.

large_decal.png

cav_decal_placement_front.png
They keep changing it. It used to be large stickers on rear quarter panels and small stickers on the front and rear (instructions for stickers issued in 2019). In practice, no one really cares where you put them. Just put it somewhere it can be seen. I find that putting one on the back of the trunk works best. I lost one large sticker on the side because of the wind and the magnet had bent outward when it was in my glovebox (into a concave shape with the ends bent up -- wind got underneath it on the freeway and it went flying off of my PHEV). Rear dashcam captured exactly where it came off but when I went back I couldn't locate it, at least when driving by at 50+ mph.

In California you'll need to wait until regular plates arrive.

My issue was double as I had to wait for the regularly issued plates to arrive (~1 month), to then apply for custom plate, to then wait 9 months for that, (production delays in the prisons due to Covid, etc. :oops:), and now I can apply for HOV sticker (~1 month wait). Goodluck!

My issue was double as I had to wait for the regularly issued plates to arrive (~1 month), to then apply for custom plate, to then wait 9 months for that, (production delays in the prisons due to Covid, etc. :oops:), and now I can apply for HOV sticker (~1 month wait). Goodluck!

When I bought my P85D, I was able to get a few weeks head start by calling DMV and getting the plate and reg info over the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Not so true. You can apply for HOV decals after you get your regular plates, before you order/receive a custom plate. I did that, and my HOV "certificate" shows my custom plate, which I'm still months away from receiving. I applied with my standard plate #.

Also, you can call the DMV to ask if they have received everything from Tesla to process your plates & registration, and once they have they may be able to confirm what your plates are before you receive them. YMMV, but it worked for me after I had along delay (75 days) from purchase to not receiving plates can calling the DMV.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Not so true. You can apply for HOV decals after you get your regular plates, before you order/receive a custom plate. I did that, and my HOV "certificate" shows my custom plate, which I'm still months away from receiving. I applied with my standard plate #.

Also, you can call the DMV to ask if they have received everything from Tesla to process your plates & registration, and once they have they may be able to confirm what your plates are before you receive them. YMMV, but it worked for me after I had along delay (75 days) from purchase to not receiving plates can calling the DMV.

Good to know! Better and more expeditious experience than I had with the DMV 🦨

Not sure if I was lucky, but I applied for the HOV stickers with my temp plates and was successful in getting the stickers. Here’s my timeline:
- 3/19/22: Took delivery
- 3/21/22: Mailed form using temp plate numbers and check
- 4/18/22: Received permanent plates in mail
- 4/20/22: Check cashed
- 4/29/22: Received stickers

• Informative
Reactions: RyanS and 4SUPER9
I applied for the stickers a few days ago. I would like to be able to apply them when I need to use them (road trip or into the city) and remove when not needed. Does the Twraps PPF underlayment allow for multiple install/remove cycles or will the sticker get damaged in the process? I've not had these stickers before so not sure how they would react.

I applied for the stickers a few days ago. I would like to be able to apply them when I need to use them (road trip or into the city) and remove when not needed. Does the Twraps PPF underlayment allow for multiple install/remove cycles or will the sticker get damaged in the process? I've not had these stickers before so not sure how they would react.
Can’t speak for Twraps, but this product is specifically designed for multiple application and removals. I’ve used it and it works well.

I just installed the Twraps PPF last weekend and in my opinion, no, it is a one time deal. But why not just leave the stickers on? If you want something removable, there are magnetic products out there.

If it's normal PPF it can be applied a few times in the first few days of application, but mainly for repositioning while the ppf hasn't really baked and cured. There is a tacky side that will likely lose its tackiness if you apply it for a while and let it cure in the sun and reapply. PPF isn't really designed to be reused (it however does make it so it's at least relatively easy to remove).

If it's normal PPF it can be applied a few times in the first few days of application, but mainly for repositioning while the ppf hasn't really baked and cured. There is a tacky side that will likely lose its tackiness if you apply it for a while and let it cure in the sun and reapply. PPF isn't really designed to be reused (it however does make it so it's at least relatively easy to remove).
Agreed. I used PPF for my prior MS, and after almost 3 years at lease return, the stickers were easily removed, but no way could be placed back on.

FYI, check your stickers. Got mine back in March. I finally got around to applying for my FastTrack Flex CAV transponder only to find out that the DMV sent me someone else stickers. :) I didn't notice when I received it since I was so excited to get them. Made a new application for stickers and they sent new ones in a couple weeks along with my check back (no fee for replacement).

I see you have a Model S. Yesterday I tried a magnet on all locations needed on the back and rear quarter panel of my 2022 Model S. Nowhere was magnetic, as I suspected, since the body is aluminum. I did see a video that showed a Model 3 with some magnetic panels.
That is what I thought. I wonder if installing rare-earth magnets under the body panel would make this work, though I think that is a bit of an extreme solution for this problem. These yellow stickers are just so fugly.