Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we still need HOV stickers in California? I see a lot of Tesla in the HOV lanes without stickers and cops go right by them. I do have a fastPass transponder. Is that not enough?
You are supposed to have either stickers or an actual carpool to use the HOV lanes. Yes, Tesla cars have more than one seat, so people can carpool in them even without stickers.

Where the lanes are FasTrak required for toll-with-HOV-discount, stickers or an actual carpool are not required, but there may be discounted or free tolls if:
  • You have a carpool and a FasTrak with a number of occupants selection set to the number of occupants > 1.
  • You have the stickers and a Clean Air Vehicle FasTrak issued to sticker cars that gives a discount even with number of occupants = 1 (but greater number of occupants may give a larger discount or free tolls in some places).

Do we still need HOV stickers in California? I see a lot of Tesla in the HOV lanes without stickers and cops go right by them. I do have a fastPass transponder. Is that not enough?
Legally you still need them given the stickers have expiration dates, so just because you have a Tesla doesn't mean you qualify. A lot of people luck out and cops don't care but they can always pull you over and ticket you for it (just having them in your glovebox does not satisfy the requirement).

Not so true. You can apply for HOV decals after you get your regular plates, before you order/receive a custom plate. I did that, and my HOV "certificate" shows my custom plate, which I'm still months away from receiving. I applied with my standard plate #.

Also, you can call the DMV to ask if they have received everything from Tesla to process your plates & registration, and once they have they may be able to confirm what your plates are before you receive them. YMMV, but it worked for me after I had along delay (75 days) from purchase to not receiving plates can calling the DMV.
That's a great idea. I may call DMV next week to ask about this. How long does it take Tesla to send the documents to the California DMV?

For those with recent custom plate orders, I’m curious what the current wait time is. I placed my order for custom legacy plates back in April and wondering when I should start bugging the DMV.
Why not just order the stickers now, using your current plates and VIN? Ultimately, it is attached to your VIN anyway. I wouldn't even bother updating the DMV when the new plates arrive. You have a registration sheet that comes with them. Any trouble, which would be unheard of, you show them that paper.

Why not just order the stickers now, using your current plates and VIN? Ultimately, it is attached to your VIN anyway. I wouldn't even bother updating the DMV when the new plates arrive. You have a registration sheet that comes with them. Any trouble, which would be unheard of, you show them that paper.
I was wondering if it's better to order the stickers now or wait until the end of December to get an extra year of HOV access?