Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV running out of money

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
I heard about this story on the news a few weeks ago and that the Govenor had asked for suggestions to consider how to fix the situation. The person being interviewed said that they thought a good part of the problem was that as more cars were on the road, that the DMV was also being tasked over the years to add more duties to what they do other than issuing license plates, stickers, title transfers and also their computer equipment is old and can't handle it. Some suggestions this person mentioned was a different agency handling some of the non-vehicle tasks, letting places like AAA and banks handle more of the work. Haven't had to go into DMV for a while and even then I had to schedule an appointment window to go in and still waited a long time to get called.

Main funding source for DMV is running out of money; what it could mean for taxpayers

I listen to KCBS and think this was the broadcast I heard: Audio: 'CA DMV Running Out of Money?' Lawrence McQuillan appears on KCBS radio

It is one of the most inefficient departments in the state, no one working there has any work ethic. Make it private for profit company.

Absolutely, 90% can be done on-line - for example why does an out of state vehicle require an in-person inspection by the DMV?

When I brought my Model S to CA to be registered - the first question was "do you have you smog certificate....."

DMV running out of money? Time to raise registration fees!

As Merrill pointed out, the DMV is horribly inefficient, last time I was at one I waited 4 hours. During the 4 hours I observed so many employees just hanging out and taking their time before helping anyone.

Cut the number of employees and hire a supervisor who will actually make sure work is being done.

DMV running out of money? Time to raise registration fees!

As Merrill pointed out, the DMV is horribly inefficient, last time I was at one I waited 4 hours. During the 4 hours I observed so many employees just hanging out and taking their time before helping anyone.

Cut the number of employees and hire a supervisor who will actually make sure work is being done.

Hate to say I don't think they ever should have reduced fees a while back before raising them again. Consider that more of a political move especially in light of old computer equipment and such. Hubby just sent in his check to DMV and it was a nice chunk, ouch. I'm all for better runned departments and some of these non-vehicle ID programs, voter programs, organ donors, etc being handled another way. Get back to the cars and get people served sooner.

Years ago when I lived in Illinois our vehicle stickers and even license plates could be handled thru your local bank. Remember people would find out which banks had which plate beginning numbers if that mattered to you. With low interest rates I'm sure banks wouldn't mind picking up some extra revenue and people still do go into banks don't they?LOL.

Hate to say I don't think they ever should have reduced fees a while back before raising them again. Consider that more of a political move especially in light of old computer equipment and such. Hubby just sent in his check to DMV and it was a nice chunk, ouch. I'm all for better runned departments and some of these non-vehicle ID programs, voter programs, organ donors, etc being handled another way. Get back to the cars and get people served sooner.
Fees aren’t an issue, I paid 874 for the model s and 270 for a 2008 bmw. I’d hate to pay even more when the problem is employees being paid to do nothing.

Understand they are going to go to extended hours and even on Sundays.

Backlogs are tremendous, and it is not unusual to wait for many hours, outside in the Sun before even getting inside to triage.

Also considering making vehicle registrations good for 2 years instead of 1.

Imagine that at least 50% of DVM visits could be easily and securely done over the internet.

Current situation is expensive and frustrating for everyone.

Now that California has cancelled most of that foolish high speed train, maybe money will be better allocated.

Reactions: AMPd
The CA people who are against the high-speed train is the same reflection of the ones who killed LA train system back in early 1900s.
And now people are complaining about LA traffic?
People here are shortsighted, sadly.

Even China, just a 3rd world country a few years back more or less, has a great bullet train system which included a maglev one in Shanghai.

• Love
Reactions: TT97 and Deslah
Yes, let’s spend nearly 100 billion on an inferior technology. Smart!

Inferior? Hardly. High-speed rail is all-electric, and extremely energy efficient. Planes are gross polluters by comparison.

A 737-800 uses about 5000 pounds, or about 750 gallons of jet fuel per hour, and in that time, goes about 583 miles. That's about 0.78 MPG. It only moves 162 passengers. So to move a single passenger one mile, it takes .053 pounds of fuel, with a total energy output of 1.045 megajoules, which is 0.29027778 kWh per passenger mile.

High-speed rail uses 0.0612 kWh per passenger mile, which makes it almost 5x as efficient.

High-speed rail is safer, more energy efficient, and better for the environment. The only thing that makes planes superior is their speed, and even then, when you factor in the airport security time, high-speed rail will probably still be faster for short- to medium-range travel, and only slightly slower for long-range travel.

Also, high-speed rail doesn't have turbulence. You can get up and walk around. You can dine in a lounge car. You can sit in a parlor car and look at the scenery. With air travel, you're stuck in one seat for hours.

So in nearly every way, high-speed rail is far superior to air travel, despite the slower speed.

Unless, of course, you're traveling over an ocean. :D

Work ethics are not the same, you cannot fire a government employee unless they kill someone, if you are private you will have to preform or you will get fired.
I understand that. But I don't want DMV employees who supposedly "work harder" (no proof of that anyway) while they're contractually putting the interests of their company ahead of the interests of the public.

Reactions: SSCustoms
It is one of the most inefficient departments in the state, no one working there has any work ethic. Make it private for profit company.

This exact thing was tried in New Jersey. The result was an unmitigated disaster of long lines, poor service, and rampant corruption and theft from public coffers. You have to think about who is going to win bid contracts for something like this, who they'd have to know, and how many kickbacks would be involved.

• Love
Reactions: Deslah