TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California DMV warns Tesla its ‘Referral Program’ is unlawful

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by TheAccuser, Oct 15, 2015.

1. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I think you should correct your subject line to CALIFORNIA dmv....

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

As if I couldn't hate the dealership association(s) any more than I already do... My guess is they complained to the state and the state was required to take action. While they pitch all of these laws and regulations as something that's benefitting and protecting the consumer, the only thing they do is create a monopoly market.

If were Elon I'd take a picture of me flipping up my middle finger and send it back to the DMV, and send a copy to the CA Dealers Association as well... But... It's probably good I'm not Elon... :)

Jeff

4. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

What a bunch of Bologna, there are all kinds of companies that do this. If I recommend a friend who is looking to install solar to the company I used and my friend uses them, I get a check. Directv does the same, etc.

5. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Darn. Now CA referrals will probably change to the buyer getting the full $2000.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I always gave my referral friends the $2000 anyways...

7. green1

green1 Active Member

And the biggest purchase is a house, but when I refer someone to the realtor I used and they buy or sell a house, the realtor cuts me a cheque.

This isn't consumer protection, it's dealership protection.

8. TheAccuser

TheAccuser Member

Well said.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

What increased risk is there buying from someone who is unlicensed, vs buying from the thousands of extremely sleazy licensed dealers? Their license doesn't make them stand behind the vehicles they sell, it doesn't stop them from pawning off defective vehicles, and it doesn't stop outright fraud and lies.
    I don't see the problem with someone without a license doing it. And we're not even talking about that situation, because the unlicensed individual isn't even selling the car! they're only referring one!

I'm sorry, this is blatant protectionism of an industry that is thoroughly corrupt, has massive amounts of power, and definitely does not need any form of protection.

10. bredi

bredi Member

That would be my opening statement in from of the DMV.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

Absolute and total nonsense. This law was lobbied for HARD by the dealers. They HATE "bird dogging" with all the bile they can muster. They never liked TrueCar because it allowed comparison shopping, they hate that. The dealers pushed for this, and it benefits them immensely while harming everyone else.

12. green1

green1 Active Member

Ok, I'm not sure why I'm responding at this point, but it's obvious you haven't looked in to the laws, there's no law against posting invoice pricing, it's an agreement made with the manufacturer, Dealers hate bird-dogs, they're worried nobody will buy from them if they can buy from someone who is cheaper and willing to compete.

The laws definitely pre-date truecar and Tesla, but they were designed to deal with the same type of thing, anyone who might compete with a dealer. Dealers love these laws, they WROTE these laws.

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Your post was in response to one by milehighmotoring, but I can't find it. Where did you see it?

14. green1

green1 Active Member

It was between my two posts (11 and 12), must have been deleted? in fact all his posts in this thread seem to have gone missing...

15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Who knew the ADA goon squad could act so fast? :)

16. mobe

mobe Member

I find his responses amusing.
    I would like him to explain to me how it was legal for my Cadillac dealer to give me a card that says they will pay me 500.00 for every customer I refer to them who buys a new Cadillac.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#17 cwerdna, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    Car companies? Does it involve California Vehicle Code?

The article states:
    (I'm not a fan of these warnings or whatever, I'm just re-stating what the article says.)

A quick Google search turned up Calif. Auto Dealers Want Brakes Put On Tesla Referral Deal - Law360 from August 28, 2015.

These offer a little more context as to CNCDA's arguments.
    Calif. DMV Looking Into Tesla’s Referral Program - Top News - DP's Office - Top News - Auto Dealer Today

CNCDA Says Tesla’s Referral Program Violates Bird-Dogging Ban - Top News - The Showroom - Top News - Auto Dealer Today

- - - Updated - - -

It might've been legal in your state of Missouri but not legal in California, which is what the article's about.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if MileHighMotoring himself deleted them or if the moderators did. If the latter happened, all I can do is SMH.

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Do you still have this? A reporter a few weeks ago was looking for examples of this.

19. mobe

mobe Member

Sorry but the car and the card are long gone.