Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #21 will stream live today at 1PM PDT. We will be discussing the wider release of FSD Beta, as well as other topics. As always, you can watch it and participate in the live chat on YouTube.

California enthusiasts... Tesla friendly insurance companies/premiums?

So my insurance pulled a fast one on me, sent me a renewal for 2016 with a 50% increase even though I (mid 30's) with clean record and maintain good credit.

After doing some shopping around, I was able to find another carrier that gives me $2700 a year for 500k coverage on '14 P85D, '14 500e, and '01 3-series. The second and third cars are all registered to me and basically just sit in the garage.

Does this seem about right in terms of insurance premium? What price ranges are you guys seeing? I can definitely see that MS might cost a bit more to repair, but the collision mitigation features as well as being the safest sedan on the road should balance it out (wishful thinking, i know).

TaoJones

Beyond Driven
Nov 10, 2014
The Americas
Consider Wawanesa. After briefly testing the waters with Geico and then Costco/Ameriprise (45% discount for multicar, btw), Wawanesa has been good so far. They didn't differentiate between S and P when I signed up - thought it was a website error but a human confirmed that. JD Power seems to like Wawanesa as well, fwiw.

AAA wanted more than twice the full Wawa policy for collision alone.

I should note that in an episode of extreme intracranial flatulence, I chose to domicile the car in Los Angeles County, instead of somewhere sensible. If there's a worse county in which to insure a vehicle that is not adjacent an international border, I'd be surprised.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC