TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California enthusiasts... Tesla friendly insurance companies/premiums?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ReversePolarity, Mar 16, 2016.

1. ReversePolarity

So my insurance pulled a fast one on me, sent me a renewal for 2016 with a 50% increase even though I (mid 30's) with clean record and maintain good credit.

After doing some shopping around, I was able to find another carrier that gives me $2700 a year for 500k coverage on '14 P85D, '14 500e, and '01 3-series. The second and third cars are all registered to me and basically just sit in the garage.

Does this seem about right in terms of insurance premium? What price ranges are you guys seeing? I can definitely see that MS might cost a bit more to repair, but the collision mitigation features as well as being the safest sedan on the road should balance it out (wishful thinking, i know).

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I am with Allied and live in Santa Cruz. A cheaper market than LA. My rates went up only about 100 for the same coverage on my 7YO Acura RDX turbo. I was shocked. I thought they would double. They did not change at renewal. I have an awesome broker. If you want info, PM (conversation?) me.

3. satoshi

satoshi Electrical Engineering Student

The low salvage re-sale + ease of totaling the car is catching up to Tesla now...

• Like x 1
  4. David99

David99 Active Member

I agree, the Model S is an insurance nightmare. Tesla really needs to get that right with the Model 3.

• Like x 1
  5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Consider Wawanesa. After briefly testing the waters with Geico and then Costco/Ameriprise (45% discount for multicar, btw), Wawanesa has been good so far. They didn't differentiate between S and P when I signed up - thought it was a website error but a human confirmed that. JD Power seems to like Wawanesa as well, fwiw.

AAA wanted more than twice the full Wawa policy for collision alone.

I should note that in an episode of extreme intracranial flatulence, I chose to domicile the car in Los Angeles County, instead of somewhere sensible. If there's a worse county in which to insure a vehicle that is not adjacent an international border, I'd be surprised.