Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California EV Rebate -AB-1046 Air Quality Improvement Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Have you guys seen or heard about this? It looks like there is a proposed bill AB 1046 in California that would increase the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project up to $7500. It looks like it passed this month and they have a hearing tomorrow 8/29/19. I really hope gets into effect asap. Since the Federal tax incentive is almost gone this would really help Californian’s that want earth friendly vehicles on our streets, get a nice rebate check.

“The Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) promotes clean vehicle adoption in California by offering rebates of up to $7,000 for the purchase or lease of new, eligible zero-emission vehicles, including electric, plug-in hybrid electric and fuel cell vehicles.”

Here is a link to the Bill. What do you guys think of this news?
Bill Text - AB-1046 Air Quality Improvement Program: Clean Vehicle Rebate Project.

That's good news!

I recently purchased an EV and have been waiting to hear if this would get funding again. Question is: would they retroactively pay-out those who have been waiting (I think the funding was shut off around June 2019). Second, the purposed rate is increasing, but I wonder if they'll favor hydrogen cars with the larger payout amount vs EV (which slightly infuriates me).

Any insights?

The bill is not very long. It has a couple significant problems though.

It cannot implement a scheme whereby some vehicles pay a penalty or surcharge in order to fund rebates for other vehicles.
It does not grant new authority to establish new revenue sources to fund the rebates.

So, it seems that it needs to use the existing funding sources for the rebates. I don't know enough about those to know if there is any headroom to allocate more funds to CVRP from those funding sources.

Would this affect people's purchasing time of vehicles? Does not seem like any wording on retrospective period and there is a section saying implementation period between July 1, 2020 to whenever 5 million vehicles sold. Is there a more updated version after 8/13/19?