TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

California: FastPass

Discussion in 'California' started by Larry, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Larry

Larry Member

Any issues with the FastPass not being picked up due to windshield tinting or some other interference? Mine didnt trigger when I went over the Benicia Bridge.

2. astrotoy

astrotoy Member

Generally, it doesn't pick up through the windshield. No problem, since the cameras at the toll plaza take a picture of your license and it is matched to your FastPass and you are billed just as if the FastPass was recorded. There is an alternative FastPass that mounts on your front license plate (if you have one) or some people mount the FastPass under the Nose Cone. One issue is that if you are using the toll lanes (like on the Sunol Grade) and your white stickers get you to use it for free, the FastPass if mounted in front could be detected and you would get charged.

3. Larry

Larry Member

Thanks. Do they photo the rear plate? Right now no front plate. Maybe Ill just hold it out the window.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Please search these forums and also go to volkerize.com to search the TM forums. Way too much information already posted on the subject. Some folks find that if they mount the white inside version FasTrak in the black area to the side of the rear view mirror that it will be recorded. FWIW, I got the exterior license plate version as well (put oiriginal white one into glove box for the occasional loaner), and mounted it behind the nose cone. I will take the occasional hit of being picked up in a HOV lane when it might be free. And, yes, your rear plate will be photoed.