Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California FasTrak Positioning Requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone in this thread should count your lucky stars though... I have the new FastTrak tag that screws in to your front license plate and it looks TERRIBLE. Plus the screws seem to only go in just a few mm's.

I got one of those too, several years ago, but my 2013 allowed me to strap it inside the nose cone, which I guess you can't do. I wouldn't use it if I had to put in in the front. In fact, Tesla service put it in for me behind the nose cone.

I don't understand for the life of me why FastTrak can't just list the Tesla license plate with a HOV White Stickered vehicle. Our local HOV lane is now a Express Pay Lane and not sure the new FastTrack Flex will work properly. I had a windshield replacement about a year ago, but not positive what year the windshield is as a result and where to try the Flex.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Am I the only one who doesn't actually use the FastTrack transponder ? I have my license plate registered with the website along with the toll tag. It gets automatically charged based on my license plate. Not really sure how it will work on the new 680 and 580 toll lanes in the Bay Area, but works great for all the bridges.

Reactions: idealsol
Am I the only one who doesn't actually use the FastTrack transponder ? I have my license plate registered with the website along with the toll tag. It gets automatically charged based on my license plate. Not really sure how it will work on the new 680 and 580 toll lanes in the Bay Area, but works great for all the bridges.
You're not the only one. I do this too. In fact, I have all the cars in my extended family (kids and SO's) registered on my account so they can not have to worry about the tolls. None of them carry a transponder with them and we have been doing this for years.

Reactions: BrokerDon
You're not the only one. I do this too. In fact, I have all the cars in my extended family (kids and SO's) registered on my account so they can not have to worry about the tolls. None of them carry a transponder with them and we have been doing this for years.

I wish you could combine that with having a license plate + HOV sticker in the FastTrak database. Otherwise, there's no way to avoid paying for the tolled express lanes.

FYI, depending on where you are, you may be required to have the transponder: Roadshow: CHP now says FasTrak transponder must be on windshield for express lane drivers – The Mercury News

Ultimately the vehicle code does defer to regional authorities on some of the specifics around HOV lane rules… I don't know, personally I don't want to be stuck with the burden of contesting a $1000 ticket over whether or not I spent 10 minutes to velcro something to my windshield.

What location is this?
thanks!
Just to the right of the autopilot camera on your windshield.

Hopefully this shows:

upload_2017-12-5_5-23-16.png
upload_2017-12-5_5-23-16.png

We had similar FasTrak mounting issues with our "topless" Jeep Wrangler which has ZERO security for anything inside it. If we mounted the FasTrak on the windshield it could easily be stolen (yes it happens)... So we buried our "square" FasTrak in the foam on the top of the roll bar which is covered in vinyl so nobody knows it's there Then we printed a laminated exact 1:1 size picture of it and stuck it to the windshield so CHP would see a "transponder" and not pull us over on The Toll Roads (happened to us once).

Problem solved. :cool:

Reactions: CaryRx and bmah
I wish you could combine that with having a license plate + HOV sticker in the FastTrak database. Otherwise, there's no way to avoid paying for the tolled express lanes.

FYI, depending on where you are, you may be required to have the transponder: Roadshow: CHP now says FasTrak transponder must be on windshield for express lane drivers – The Mercury News

Ultimately the vehicle code does defer to regional authorities on some of the specifics around HOV lane rules… I don't know, personally I don't want to be stuck with the burden of contesting a $1000 ticket over whether or not I spent 10 minutes to velcro something to my windshield.

Looks like I need a special FastTrack toll tag to use the 580 and 680 express lanes without paying. Or use the standard one and pay the fee. License plates won't work. Way too complicated.

My wife and I had to get FasTrak Flex to drive on the new express lane on 680 while carpooling or when driving our 2013 Model S. We've got the newer candy bar sized version. I mounted it just below the rear view mirror and haven't had any violations or transactions in two months, so I think it's working.

Reactions: CaryRx
Looks like I need a special FastTrack toll tag to use the 580 and 680 express lanes without paying. Or use the standard one and pay the fee. License plates won't work. Way too complicated.
I don't know about it being special other than it needs to have the switch that allows you to switch the amount of passengers. You can get them at Costco. Just make sure it is the Fastrak Flex and put it in the 3+ setting. Does anyone know if there are Costcos that carry the new candy bar size one? I tried to ask one time and the person that grabs the inventory at checkout said it is in an envelope so they don't know.

If you don't have it mounted right to register the toll tag they may correct it once or twice (your balance) but all bets are off after that.

For those who drive an ZEV on the 91 Express Lanes in SoCal, don't miss the "Special Access" savings with their FasTrak® switchable transponder. The free tolls and discounts are only on the 91 Express Lanes. Great savings with no monthly fees. Standard toll costs apply at all other FasTrak toll locations. Sign ups are accomplished by manually filling out the PDF form and sending a copy of your DMV registration.

Read the "Special Access" right column for details at this link: Getting Started

Last edited:
For those who drive an ZEV on the 91 Express Lanes in SoCal, don't miss the "Special Access" savings with their FasTrak® switchable transponder.

Read the "Special Access" right column for details at this link: Getting Started

We use the 92 Express Lanes a LOT and it saves us a LOT of time by-passing congestion on the "regular" 91 freeway lanes... AND saved us hundreds of dollars in tolls. Every SoCal Tesla owner should add this since it's BOGO FREE ($0 sign-up + $0 toll cost)
  • Toll Cost: FREE, except M-F eastbound between 4-6 p.m. when a 50% discount is applied*

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark Z
Sorry if this was already covered ... my experience -

Since my fairly old FasTrak transponder doesn't register through the windshield, over the years I, too, have been billed via their license plate readers on bridges. No problem. Holding the transducer out the window when passing through the toll reader doesn't seem to work, either.

Just after Christmas I jumped onto the 580 Sunol Express Lane (two of us in the car), assuming the license plate readers would figure things out correctly. WRONG.

I received a bill for this escapade, the license plate having been read correctly. I called up FasTrak and, after multiple dialings and disconnects and a long wait I finally talked with a live person and explained the situation. Long story short -

1. I need a special transducer (FasTrak Flex) to use the Express Lane, set to +3
2. The transducer doesn't work in all cars - not their problem
3. Regular transducer or the one mounted on license plate doesn't work for this situation
4. No, they will not refund the charges

I just ordered their Flex transducer and will stick it up in that special spot on the windshield of my '13 MS85 and see if it works.

Beats me why FasTrak doesn't simply either link to DMV's database to determine that the car is electric (not necessarily needing a white HOV sticker) or else have that as a field on their application form for each car.

Sorry if this was already covered ... my experience -

Beats me why FasTrak doesn't simply either link to DMV's database to determine that the car is electric (not necessarily needing a white HOV sticker) or else have that as a field on their application form for each car.

Fortunately in SoCal the 91 Express Lanes has a procedure in place for ZEVs which The Toll Roads could EASILY implement: https://www.91expresslanes.com/specapp.pdf When we bought our 2015 P85D in August 2011 The Toll Roads had us drive our Tesla to one of their offices to confirm it was the ZEV / VIN we submitted. Then they issued a new STANDARD license plate transponder to a SEPARATE 91 Express Lanes account. Super elegant solution... which The Toll Roads et. al. could easily implement if they wanted to.

The Flexpass doesn't beep in some Express Lanes. It works fine but doesn't beep. So don't use beeps to determine if it's working or not!

Here's text from the Fastrak Handbook page 6: "Will the toll tag beep in express lanes?
Depending on the express lane location, the toll tag may or may not beep. You will only be charged for your trip’s toll amount regardless of how often your toll tag beeps."

I was trying all sorts of positions to get the tag to work on the new 680 express lane in our 2013 Model S. The assumption was that if it worked, it beeps. Then I noticed it does't beep in our other brand EV. I called Fastrak and the customer service expert told me that if it doesn't beep, it's not working. I mentioned it beeps at the bridges, the Sunol grade express lane, etc. Just not on the new 680 express lane. He said its probably a bad tag.

Looking at the transaction report there were no charges for when the tag was mounted to the black area on the passenger side of the mirror, turned 90 degrees as motioned above. There were also no charges when using it in the other car. So it's working. I did a web search and found the above text here https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/images/handbook.pdf

Apparently the nice and helpful Fastrak customer services person is not aware of what's in the Fastrak handbook.

So the measure of "working" is not whether it beeps or not! It's how it charges. Try a recommended position and logon to view transactions to see if it charged or not.

Another tidbit found on the Fastrak site: https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/images/MetalOxideWindshieldList.pdf
Here's what the list says about Tesla vehicles "Exterior Toll Tag Required - Windshield prevents use of interior toll tag".
An exterior tag will not work in a Flexpass situation.......
Also note the numerous other fine vehicles with issues.

It appears there are some systemic engineering issues for in front of them.